Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just got my I2 a little over a week ago. First tank of gas was 41mpg. Not bad for still trying to figure out how to drive as efficiently as possible! I'm hoping it's only going to get better after the break in period and as my skills increase!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Sig808,

I am in San Jose -
If you are in town you are welcome to come over and talk " Insight"

I drive my Insight like any of my sports cars and I still get 40 Mpg.
But I have learned all the tricks to get more MPG when gas prices go up

My next door neighbor has an Insight too -
So come on by and we will make an Insight meeting of your visit

Tnqrtoy's Dad

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had my first fill up last week, my average was about 50.7 mpg. But I have really been trying to see how good of milage I can get, plus I drive all highway to work and back, maybe that helps. I am pretty impressed so far.

·
Registered
232 Posts
First tank 45

After about 1000 to 2000 miles you should see an increase.

I remember my first tank about 2 years ago and it was around 45 MPG. I really took it easy on the accelerator, and by the 3rd or 4th tank I was over 50. Definately some break in and then you get increases.

Good luck with your future mileage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Went 400 miles and got 47.3 MPG after my first tank. Having come out of a 2007 Fit which was averaging 36 MPG, I'm very pleased so far. Looking forward to higher numbers as I drive the car further.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bought my EX on Dec 4, but haven't had much opportunity to drive it, just short trips. First tank was 41.9 mpg, but hoping to do better when I start back to work next week with my 30 mile highway commute.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
As the motor and engine break in they run better nad more efficient. If properly maintained and inproperly maintained can also effect it. I think the computer detunes the engine til you get at least 10k on the clock.

I don't understand. Why would the car not have the same mileage on day 1 as it does after a few months?

TepuruMan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my I2 last Saturday and filled up for the first time today. I was able to get 45.7 mpg, primarily commuting from Oakland to San Jose. I'm stoked!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got only 35.5 on first tank and 37.5 on second. Don't know if it's me or the car. I am currently blaming it on the hilly SW PA roads. Doing better than the Grand Cherokee Hemi that I traded.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got only 35.5 on first tank and 37.5 on second. Don't know if it's me or the car. I am currently blaming it on the hilly SW PA roads. Doing better than the Grand Cherokee Hemi that I traded.
It goes up as the car gets some miles on it and as you figure out how to make use of real-time MPG bar graph on the MID. I've got 3800 miles on mine now and my last tank was 51 mpg. So far on this tank (it's less than 30 miles, though, so take it for what it's worth), I've averaged about 52.5 mpg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Constant speed helps, 36mph is best, 45mph is second best.
You're right; between 36 and 37 mph, I tend to average about 70mpg according to the graphs on the dash; around 45 mph, it seems to be 60's in general, just depends on wind direction and road slope.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've noticed if you keep your foot on the pedal just right you can spike it to 100. I suppose this is the I2's elusive "EV mode." I noticed someone mention it on here and tried it for myself, it's do-able. It's not sustainable for too long because of so many factors encountered on the road.

I was cruising along with the MPG gauge pegged at 100 driving 55MPH for a short time yesterday until I drove across a bumpy bridge which screwed it for me, you're a hair-trigger of pedal pressure from losing it.

It seems easiest to get into when you're coming down from the other side of an incline, and I do not mean completely remove your foot from the gas pedal.

I was playing with it for a while until some kid at a stop sign had his jaw drop as he saw the I2 drive by and tried to catch up to get a look at it. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still on first tank

Have 270 miles on my first tank, and hoping to get 230 more. I am averaging 46 mpg and I am driving in the green most of the time. I have a hilly commute which I am still trying to navigate with ease. Love the I2 so far....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just bought an I2 this past friday (good friday), and first fill up was on sunday eve, @ 362 miles and 8.265 gallons of gas I averaged 43.799, I did work to get it, but the weather was crap too, high winds and lots of rain.

100 miles into the second tank and just normal driving, 65 on the turnpike, 55 on the state highways, and 35 in town, I am averaging 45.7, so we will see how this increases, is everyone reporting their good mileage onto fueleconomy.gov I think we should, this was a website I checked before buying, the more input the better it looks for the insight!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2011 EX. First tank 401 miles, 47 MPG total. Mostly up and down the 280 in the Bay Area. Each day I drove it the mileage went up stepwise, from 37 to 47. I expect it will continue to increase as many have mentioned.

Thoroughly enjoying this car. I am already addicted to the feedback.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts