Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked it up at the dealersip last week, my Insight had a full tank of gas, 62mi on the clock, and an lmpg of 18.7. Not good, they must have left it parked and idling for awhile to do that.

The clock now has 404 miles on it and the lmpg is up to only 44.4. The low lmpg number is definitely depressing. :cry:

But wait .. let's do the math.

@62mi it had gone through 3.32gal, working back from the 18.7 lmpg.
@404mi it had gone through 9.1gal, working back from the 44.4 lmpg.

Looking at the differences, this means it's gone 342mi on 5.78gal, which gives an efficiency of ~59.17mpg, so now I can feel good about the numbers. :) Especially being a newbie at this! I already put a radiator block in (it's cold here) and am thinking about putting the tires above 40psi .. those things should help some more.

Maybe when it's time for that first tankful I can reset the lmpg.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Your low initial LMPG will rapidly be eclipsed by even "normal" driving given how the number is averaged. IMO if you haven't reset it already its not "worth" the trouble.

Cold weather is the biggest MPG killer and given your impressive MPG numbers to date it looks like you have "the right stuff" ;) for the hyper MPG "club". But ultimate MPG usually takes a few thousand miles for the car and driver to "break in". So give yourself the time for the techniques to become "normal".

Congrats on the MPG accomplishment. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had two Insights, and both of them had terrible mileage when I picked them up from the dealer. I assume this is because they spent a lot of time idling and going on short test drives.

I would suggest resetting the LMPG. It tells you how to do it somewhere in the manual.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm also on my first tank. I've got 440 on the clock for a LMPG of 54.

How much MPG improvement will occur after breakin and at what mileage?

It's been in the 20's-30's(F) here in the Chicago area of late.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I'm on my 12th tank. LMPG is 87.8, and I am hoping to raise it to 89 or 90 this summer. It was only 26 LMPG when I got it new @ the dealer, but that quickly increased. After engine break-in, 0-20 synthetic oil seems to help mpg by reducing friction. As always, lots of air in the tires, slowing down a bit, and trying to stay in lean-burn mode are the keys......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John & Billy! It's actually enjoyable trying to keep the mpg as high as possible for a given trip or trip segment, even if it's just to the grocery store and back. Can't wait to see what the warmer temps will do for mpg.

I joke to friends that now I'm taking off like an old Corolla running on 2 cylinders, but that's about what you need to keep the efficiency right. Jumping on the gas pedal just uses up a lot more energy, so if there's no other traffic around (as is usually the case here) I can drive like grandma without gumming up the traffic flow. Conserving momentum seems to be the key to getting the better mileage.

This weekend I hope to go on a road trip out of state .. the destination is about 3 hours away .. this should be a great way to get some highway driving time in the Insight. Also, there's the enjoyable thing about going there & back on the same tankful and then having enough left to last awhile.

Thanks John! I hope to be a hypermiler someday :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
SteveChicagoSC said:
How much MPG improvement will occur after breakin and at what mileage?
If you want some "Hyper" - hyper MPG advice contact Wayne Gerdes (xcel). ;) :p You may be able to meet since he's also in the Chicago land area.

With additional practice and warmer weather expect +20 MPG. IMO the "break-in" is almost as much the part of the driver as the car. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
My insight had something like 13 miles on the clock when I picked it up with a lmpg of around 38 or so. My totally subjective and unsubstantiated hypothesis is that the IMA batteries come stone dead from honda and you burn a ton of gas charging them the first time during PDI.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If I might suggest ...

Use the MPG display as a Benchmark while you're driving.

Keep a manual log/spreadsheet of the actual miles and gallons put into the vehicle.

Experience is so far showing me that you'll actually end up with a higher MPG on that spreadsheet as opposed to the MPG display.

Hope this helps.

Fred

When I picked it up at the dealersip last week, my Insight had a full tank of gas, 62mi on the clock, and an lmpg of 18.7. Not good, they must have left it parked and idling for awhile to do that.

The clock now has 404 miles on it and the lmpg is up to only 44.4. The low lmpg number is definitely depressing. :cry:

But wait .. let's do the math.

@62mi it had gone through 3.32gal, working back from the 18.7 lmpg.
@404mi it had gone through 9.1gal, working back from the 44.4 lmpg.

Looking at the differences, this means it's gone 342mi on 5.78gal, which gives an efficiency of ~59.17mpg, so now I can feel good about the numbers. :) Especially being a newbie at this! I already put a radiator block in (it's cold here) and am thinking about putting the tires above 40psi .. those things should help some more.

Maybe when it's time for that first tankful I can reset the lmpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts