Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Insight EX

Owned since new, always garage kept. Had oil burning issue come up at just under 70K. Performed oil consumption test through dealer and was burning 1 quart every 1,240 miles. Honda approved SB 15-015 and dealer replaced piston rings, pins and all 8 spark plugs, among other things as part of the service bulletin at 72K. That solved oil burning, but it's had a small oil leak ever since, dealer has: 74K replaced front crankshaft oil seal; 84K resealed oil pan gasket; 92K replaced valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Still a small leak, not noticeable on dipstick but it still spots my garage floor and makes it a little messy under the engine. Received related extended warranty from Honda for up to 8 years an unlimited mileage. I've lived with the oil leak now up to 118K, considering whether to pursue through dealer/warranty.

Aside from that issue, it's been a fantastic vehicle. Bought as a commuter, 350 miles a week on 'back roads' so usually between 45-60 MPH. Some surface streets, stop and go, but it's been driven pretty easy as a commuter, and we used it for a few long trips prior to having the 3rd kid. I'll admit, aside from oil changes, tires (on 3rd set, 2nd of Yokohama Avid Ascends, which are decent - replaced original Bridestone Ecopia which got to 45K miles), and front brakes (original pads lasted until 90K, had Big O install their Wagners - hated them from the start - and just replaced those pads/warped rotors with Powerstop Evolution, which feel good so far) I've kind of ignored any other maintenance items until recently. Came back to the forum and didn't take long to realize I should have been more attentive to the CVT Fluid changes.

Have seen real world MPG 48-50 commute, 45-46 freeway @ 75MPH and 43-44 around town. Recently commute MPG is down around 45-46. I had my brake fluid flushed with the new pad/rotor install, and I just did the drain/refill of the CVT fluid - see pics of the drain plug and the old/new fluid. I previously performed the CVT reset procedure (37 MPH then coast to 5 MPH) and that had a noticeable effect on improving smooth acceleration. Have only driven it about 10-15 miles with the new fluid but it felt better.

Now considering inline CVT filter change at next interval - will likely change again at 2nd oil change. Engine coolant is full and smells/looks fine, so not planning to change. Also planning to purchase new OEM rear shocks from Bernardi's. Considering new 12V battery since it is still original.

Any input on overall maintenance I should be attentive to? Comments on Trans fluid??

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Plugs?

2012 Insight EX

Owned since new, always garage kept. Had oil burning issue come up at just under 70K. Performed oil consumption test through dealer and was burning 1 quart every 1,240 miles. Honda approved SB 15-015 and dealer replaced piston rings, pins and all 8 spark plugs, among other things as part of the service bulletin at 72K. That solved oil burning, but it's had a small oil leak ever since, dealer has: 74K replaced front crankshaft oil seal; 84K resealed oil pan gasket; 92K replaced valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Still a small leak, not noticeable on dipstick but it still spots my garage floor and makes it a little messy under the engine. Received related extended warranty from Honda for up to 8 years an unlimited mileage. I've lived with the oil leak now up to 118K, considering whether to pursue through dealer/warranty.

Aside from that issue, it's been a fantastic vehicle. Bought as a commuter, 350 miles a week on 'back roads' so usually between 45-60 MPH. Some surface streets, stop and go, but it's been driven pretty easy as a commuter, and we used it for a few long trips prior to having the 3rd kid. I'll admit, aside from oil changes, tires (on 3rd set, 2nd of Yokohama Avid Ascends, which are decent - replaced original Bridestone Ecopia which got to 45K miles), and front brakes (original pads lasted until 90K, had Big O install their Wagners - hated them from the start - and just replaced those pads/warped rotors with Powerstop Evolution, which feel good so far) I've kind of ignored any other maintenance items until recently. Came back to the forum and didn't take long to realize I should have been more attentive to the CVT Fluid changes.

Have seen real world MPG 48-50 commute, 45-46 freeway @ 75MPH and 43-44 around town. Recently commute MPG is down around 45-46. I had my brake fluid flushed with the new pad/rotor install, and I just did the drain/refill of the CVT fluid - see pics of the drain plug and the old/new fluid. I previously performed the CVT reset procedure (37 MPH then coast to 5 MPH) and that had a noticeable effect on improving smooth acceleration. Have only driven it about 10-15 miles with the new fluid but it felt better.

Now considering inline CVT filter change at next interval - will likely change again at 2nd oil change. Engine coolant is full and smells/looks fine, so not planning to change. Also planning to purchase new OEM rear shocks from Bernardi's. Considering new 12V battery since it is still original.

Any input on overall maintenance I should be attentive to? Comments on Trans fluid??
Change the sparkplugs yet?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Leak

2012 Insight EX

That tiny leak might be the crush washer squeezed too tight?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes that's whayi did to my old insight, although it's supposed to stop AFAIK/ remember, maybe I'm forgetful,one or the other, and don't touch the pedals

·
Registered
305 Posts
Incorrect bud what I was referring to was posted years ago ref the update needed to stop force charging , shuddering etc,this is similar but doesent give the name or number for the 3/4 software updates , sorry for confusion but I had these saved but fir the life of me can't find them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw it referenced on this forum, try searching for thread title "CVT start clutch judder" there's a page shown from a manual - although I could not find it in my manual.

I figured it was worth a shot and after performing I have noticed a difference in the 'smoothness' when accelerating.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks bud,did it to my old insight,and have this one booked in for the 20/6 I've no shuddering, but some forced charging whilst climbing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts