Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I thought I would report my first two tanks with my new 2011 Insight EX. On the first tank, provided by the dealer, I decided to drive like I had been driving with my former 2000 Saturn SL (traded in for this car). I also on this tank ran the car with AC blasting (It is hot here in Arkansas!) for 15 to 20 minutes while I played with all of the settings of my vehicle. Despite this, I got 43 mpg on the first tank, which had ~ 15% city driving. I did NOT use ECON mode.

On this second tank of gas, I used ECON mode and tried to pay a bit more attention to how I accelerated, etc., but not slavishly so. I also used cruise on most of my highway trips. This time I probably had ~ 25% city driving. This time I got 46 mpg for the average you see above.

Today I inflated my tires to 40 psi. They were at the Honda recommended 33 psi. I will see how this affects my mileage for the third tank of gas I started today.

So far I am very pleased with the vehicle. On similar drives with the old Saturn I would average 30 to 33 mpg; not bad, but it is nice to be doing even better!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Third tank...worse!

I just did my third fill-up today. After increasing my tire pressures from 33 psi to 40 my mpg went from 46 mpg to 44. :mad: But this could be a strange anomaly, so I will see what the next tank does with the increased inflation pressures.

BTW, I really am enjoying the Fuelly website!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking at fuelly, looks like 45-46 is pretty much your average, looks good. I also increased my tire pressure, not any difference, the thing I have started doing is EVERY tank must be ethanol free. My biggest problem is my wife drives the kids to and from school, and trips to the grocery store, these 3 mile trips kill it. Glad to see another white nsite around, I am in tulsa.

Mine

Coworkers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gradually doing better...

I have been gradually doing better, but I think I will soon cap out in the 47 to 48 mpg area. No matter how carefully I strive to drive, I find breaking the 50 mpg barrier unattainable. Of course having 100+ F temps most of the past month is not helping. My best tank to date was my next-to-last one, 48.8 mpg--oh, so close to the 50 mpg goal!

If increasing my tires' pressures has helped, I have not been able to demonstrate it. On the other hand, I am certain that it has not hurt.

As to your point about no ethanol, I have yet to find a gas station that does not add it to their gas!

Cheers!
boB

·
Registered
58 Posts
For ethanol free gas

Try puregas.org to see if an ethanol station is near you.

Dont worry you will get the mpg's up there as time goes on. I have never gotten worse than 43mpg and am now at 55.7 MPG's. It just gets better with time:)

I too have my tire pressure up at 40psi. I am looking forward to changing the tires to some LRR in the future. I also try and use lucus oil engine treatment every tank.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Don't worry, I am averaging 47 too with a phev kit in the 100+ days too. At night without ac around 70mpg. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

I thought I would report my first two tanks with my new 2011 Insight EX. On the first tank, provided by the dealer, I decided to drive like I had been driving with my former 2000 Saturn SL (traded in for this car). I also on this tank ran the car with AC blasting (It is hot here in Arkansas!) for 15 to 20 minutes while I played with all of the settings of my vehicle. Despite this, I got 43 mpg on the first tank, which had ~ 15% city driving. I did NOT use ECON mode.
Hey Enigmatique,

How are you doing now with your Insight MPG now that you've had it for awhile? Still liking the car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know, I know, check your tire pressure often, every weekend even. I put on 36psi tire pressure monitors as a fail safe if I forgot or was lazy. And yes I know... but I didn't check my pressure or if the monitors were working for a long time. I noticed the mpg was going down, but blamed it on the colder weather near Chicago and that darned cold light staying on for so long. But my pressure was at 30psi. I was stupid, it won't happen again. EVERY WEEKEND!!!

What a difference 44psi makes, that's what I use. I've had some 62mpg short trips of 5miles or so like I used to.

Might go down to 40psi in the snow, we'll see. I haven't had a chance to "test" in a parking lot yet. I do that with all my new cars so I know what to expect when I slide. I made my kids do that when they were growing up even though they and my wife didn't want them to do the "test" (can't make the wife do something she doesn't want to do). But they gotta know too...

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I check my tire pressure every season change. I found I had a slow leak. :(

I also check the spare. :)

The car seems very quick and difficult to get sideways. For driving forward dont be afraid to push the petal to the floor when the going gets tough as the tracwill keep you from spinning more so than moving.

I was doing figure 8s in a parking lot last winter. I was velcroed to teh ground with both lights constantly on. Then I dont know what happened, but I slipped and hte car did a 360. Luckly I wasnt near a paml and didnt hit anything.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I'm guessing you mean 50 MPG.... LOL

I hate cars that can't go more then 50 MPH... Glad to hear you still like the car.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yeah, been there done that. Had a vehicles that couldnt break 50mph or 50mpg. I can get some goon runs myself, but I always, always, always end up in a situation where I wate it. Either I hit all the lights, I have to idle through trafffic at 15mph the traffic varies from 35-75mph as fast as you can move your feet between the petals, etc. Then one day I had fog/frost/mist, etc on both sides of my windows and had to drive with the defroster on with the heat up all the way. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just got mine a few days ago. I'm right under 40 MPG and the needle's barely moved on the tank, so I have a while to go before I use up my first tank.

I traded in my Odyssey for an Insight, so I'm doing cartwheels for any MPG over 16.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just got mine a few days ago. I'm right under 40 MPG and the needle's barely moved on the tank, so I have a while to go before I use up my first tank.

I traded in my Odyssey for an Insight, so I'm doing cartwheels for any MPG over 16.
Wow, downsizing from an Odyssey to an Insight is like going from a three-bedroom house to a studio apartment. Are you missing the space? (Understandable that you're loving the mileage.)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
16mpg? Is that possible in a Honda?

Me too, thats a vast space down grade. Don't get me wrong I love my i2 for mpg, but its continuously curved interior makes it next to impossible to fit square items inside it. One reason I hang on to my 95 suzuki sidekick. Even though its square and 4wd I still manage 30mpg. This year I hope to make some mods and get it to 40.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My commute is 14 miles round-trip at around 35-45 MPH in suburban conditions. Odyssey hated that, and I was going through about a gallon a day. On the highway, the van was happier and I could get over 20 MPG.

And, yes, that van has rooooooooooooooooooooooom. However, I don't really miss it, as I don't sit in the back seat. Compared to my wife's 05 Corolla, the back seat is about the same. My kids fit in, smallest one behind me, and all is well. Because it's a smaller car, I insist on less crap being left in it, so it'll also be cleaner.

For the driver's area, all I miss are the cup holders. I am 6'4" and fit very nicely in the front seat. I also have some mobility impairments that have given me difficulty in getting in and out of street-level cars as opposed to step-up cars like the van. No such problems with the Insight. I can get in and out easily without banging up my knee on the steering wheel.

Speaking of banging up my knee, that's the #1 reason I'm not in a Prius. There are other reasons, but that's #1. The central knee-banger thingy is a total deal breaker with them.

I purchased the EX model and got a great car with great efficiency and the price was right. My kids are older (only two left at home full-time) and I'm tired of panicking every time I see a narrow parking space. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
My commute is 14 miles round-trip at around 35-45 MPH in suburban conditions. Odyssey hated that, and I was going through about a gallon a day. On the highway, the van was happier and I could get over 20 MPG.

And, yes, that van has rooooooooooooooooooooooom. However, I don't really miss it, as I don't sit in the back seat. Compared to my wife's 05 Corolla, the back seat is about the same. My kids fit in, smallest one behind me, and all is well. Because it's a smaller car, I insist on less crap being left in it, so it'll also be cleaner.

For the driver's area, all I miss are the cup holders. I am 6'4" and fit very nicely in the front seat. I also have some mobility impairments that have given me difficulty in getting in and out of street-level cars as opposed to step-up cars like the van. No such problems with the Insight. I can get in and out easily without banging up my knee on the steering wheel.

Speaking of banging up my knee, that's the #1 reason I'm not in a Prius. There are other reasons, but that's #1. The central knee-banger thingy is a total deal breaker with them.

I purchased the EX model and got a great car with great efficiency and the price was right. My kids are older (only two left at home full-time) and I'm tired of panicking every time I see a narrow parking space. :)
Very interesting and well said! Glad the Insight has been a great choice for you.

You mean you were banging your knee on the "flying bridge" console between the driver's and passenger's seat?

Funny you mention banging parts of your body. I'm 5-foot-7, and I took two test drives of the Insight on different days. On both test drives, I managed to bang my head on the Insight's low door sills, even though on the second one, I told myself to watch out for the low door sills. Maybe I would adjust to it if I had to do it every time I drove, though.

I have an '06 CR-V, which has plenty of space, but I don't have a family, so I don't really NEED it. But it's nice to HAVE it in case I do, you know? :)

Did the blind spot on the rear passenger side bother you? I noticed that on both test drives, too. Again, maybe that would be something I could adjust to.

I'm very intrigued by the Insight, not only because I've always had Hondas and would prefer to stay with the brand but because I have read on this site about people getting 50-ish MPG on the Gen 3 (2010 and later) versions of the car. That's Prius territory for about $2,000 to $3,000 cheaper than the Prius. The one weak spot of my CR-V is the mileage; I get 20 to 23 mpg in mixed driving (which my driving always is) in winter and 26 to 29 mpg in mixed driving in summer. Would be great to double those figures!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I miss my tacoma, but not getting 18mpg. No matter what I did the only thing I could do was make it go down vs up.

I am half way tempted to look at the ridgeline as my next vehicle, but need to research real world mpg and any eco modding tricks available.

Yeah, that center bridge as they call it in the prius 3 has to go. I am not sure what prompted them to add such a thing in the first place. Its open at the bottom with connectors for accessories and more storage.

You just have to reach around to the passenger side leg area to reach it or if you are a fat gorilla like me get out of it, crawl down below the steering wheel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got the seat almost all the way back and lowered significantly, so I get to use the full size of the door area for getting in and out. ;)

The blind spots were nothing like what I had in the Odyssey. I can actually check them *and* I can see out the back window at human level, so I don't have to pray I don't roll over short people every time I back out of a space.

And, yes, that flying buttress or whatever in the Prius is my bane. The price, as well. For an entry-level Prius price, I got an EX model (not navigation) and love it. The paddle shifters are great for getting me a boost of power when I need to get on the freeway - something the Prius can't do. I love good mileage, but safety comes first, and I don't want to get killed on an Dallas freeway because my car couldn't get up to speed properly to merge with the flow of traffic.

I'm happy to say it passes the Dallas maniac freeway driving test quite nicely. It has less power than the V6 in my Odyssey and other cars won't jump out of its way, but it can still cope nicely in the mayhem, and I'm laughing when we get to stop and start conditions.

Driving the Insight in many ways is like playing a game where patience and skill pay off in attaining long-run goals. I'm already much calmer in my driving style, thanks to the leaves.

I've also started to develop a hatred of hills. I'm not yet considering a move to Kansas, but I wouldn't say no outright if offered a position there...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got the seat almost all the way back and lowered significantly, so I get to use the full size of the door area for getting in and out. ;)

The blind spots were nothing like what I had in the Odyssey. I can actually check them *and* I can see out the back window at human level, so I don't have to pray I don't roll over short people every time I back out of a space.

And, yes, that flying buttress or whatever in the Prius is my bane. The price, as well. For an entry-level Prius price, I got an EX model (not navigation) and love it. The paddle shifters are great for getting me a boost of power when I need to get on the freeway - something the Prius can't do. I love good mileage, but safety comes first, and I don't want to get killed on an Dallas freeway because my car couldn't get up to speed properly to merge with the flow of traffic.

I'm happy to say it passes the Dallas maniac freeway driving test quite nicely. It has less power than the V6 in my Odyssey and other cars won't jump out of its way, but it can still cope nicely in the mayhem, and I'm laughing when we get to stop and start conditions.

Driving the Insight in many ways is like playing a game where patience and skill pay off in attaining long-run goals. I'm already much calmer in my driving style, thanks to the leaves.

I've also started to develop a hatred of hills. I'm not yet considering a move to Kansas, but I wouldn't say no outright if offered a position there...
LOL. Meaning because the Insight lacks sufficient power to take hills at a decent pace?

That's cool that the Insight passes the Dallas freeway mayhem test, though!

Interesting that the Insight's blind spots weren't as bad as the Odyssey's. I don't think I ever test drove an Ody or ever sat in one.

Yeah, on my Insight test drives, I thought it was cool to watch the blue on the dashboard turn to green and to try to keep it there.

How about your driving position vis-a-vis your left elbow? I like to drive with my left hand on the wheel and my left elbow on the driver's side door arm rest. I found that to be a bit of a challenge in the Insight. Do you?

Also interesting that your family fits behind you even when you have the seat all the way back. I'm 5-foot-7, and I think I had the Insight's seat all the way back on my test drives. When I climbed into the back seat on the driver's side, the seatback was pretty much up against my legs. It wasn't a position I would want to be in for more than 15 minutes or so. But your family isn't uncomfortable back there?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
16 Participants
firsthonda
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing