Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently this just leaked out. If Honda does use the Insight engine, (why reinvent the wheel?) it could help justify keeping the Insight in production. That would be great. :D :D Pure speculation leads one to conclude we might see a power train upgrade.

Article at: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05 ... .html#more

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was actually thinking about going in the other direction: Put a Fit engine in the Insight, throw out the IMA, and presto chango you have a sports car!

Re the Fit hybrid, it seems likely that they would want to put the new technology from the Civic hybrid in there, so maybe it would still be a 1 liter three cylinder, but with a new valve train...

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I suppose that would work, but I think putting in a turbo would be cheaper and better for mileage.

Read Jack's turbo post about tires breaking free on the asphalt and you'll understand that too much power in the front of an Insight, without the benefit of a limited slip differential like they have in the new Civic SI, and presto you're in the ditch. ;) All the same, I've no doubt it will be done. :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I don't get it. The current Fit uses a souped-up 1.5l, 100+ hp engine that barely gets over 30 mpg. The 1.5 is the only engine available. Then they are going to use the expensive Insight drivetrain later to get to 50 mpg.

All the while you can buy a Jazz (as the Fit is called in Europe), with a 75 hp 1.2l that already gets 50+ mpg on the highway, for less money than the Fit here!

Oh, sorry, you can't buy that one in the US 8-(

So, apparently, Honda sees demand in the US only for >100hp cars, even in that size / price segment.

Gas is still too cheap!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Armin wrote.....

All the while you can buy a Jazz (as the Fit is called in Europe), with a 75 hp 1.2l that already gets 50+ mpg on the highway, for less money than the Fit here!

Read that 50+ mpg as Imperial not US gallons,so the Insight engine would provide an advantage as well as being cleaner.

DGate

·
Registered
133 Posts
a Fit Insight...

Keep in mind that Honda, in addition to just being
in business for business (that is, to make money...)
also has a corporate decree from On Top regarding
gas mileage/EPA bragging rights. [a]

So it wouldn't surprise me if they're thinking of
how to tweak the Fit further (ouch...) which might
very well include the use of Insight components.

[a] Well, they're not in it just to get on
the EPA list, of course. They figure it's
also good for business.

·
Registered
243 Posts
In my oh-so humble opinion,
If Honda puts the Insight drivetrain in a Fit, it will probably mean the end of Insight production. The only reason the Insight is still being produced is to have a honda hold the number 1 spot in the MPG charts. If a 3cyl hybrid fit can do that, then why keep losing money building Insights?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Maybe, but if you believe that Honda wants to retain their "top of the list" position, then the Insight offers lots of advantages over anything else. It's small and light, and it's already designed and in production. So if Toyota or GM :D starts competing with a 70 MPG car, Honda could make further improvements to the Insight to stay on top. The smaller car will always have the advantage.

Possible changes:
- Electric-only valvetrain like the Civic
- New battery technology--unchanged since 1999
- Smaller engine
- Better tires
- Lose some more weight: Plastic side windows, for example
- Improvements to assist programming

·
Registered
187 Posts
Probably everyone has seen the Fit up close by now, but as a small towner, today was my first opportunity... a silver parked right in front of the office when I came out from work. It looks sooo much better than the photos. 8)

The car has a great profile and I loved the steering wheel. My early impression from the photos was that the Fit would be unattractive, and end up looking like a cheap Suzuki (sorry). But the Fit comes across as a real Honda and if they make a hybrid version next year? Even better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dougie wrote:
Possible changes:
- Electric-only valvetrain like the Civic
- New battery technology--unchanged since 1999
- Smaller engine
- Better tires
- Lose some more weight: Plastic side windows, for example
- Improvements to assist programming
I couldn't find the previous Dear Honda wish list, but I would add:
- Freewheel transmission (hey, my old SAAB has it!) for easy Pulse and Glide
- Hot air mod
- Much larger battery capacity (new technology) with plug-in recharge ability
- Still better aerodynamics
- FAS and MIMA as factory options for the true enthusiast :roll:

JoeS.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Add to that a vertically mounted IMA pack like the other Hondas to give huge cargo area coupled with an air adjustable suspension to allow heavier loads. :D

LED tail lights.

Thermos heat collection like Prius.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little bizare since I understood that they had already stopped selling the Insight in the UK. ;) Yes Honda will stop producing the Insight......whenever. The Fit/Jazz will not achieve as high a mileage and is not at all the same type of vehicle so I don't see that it will heve that much bearing on the Insight. Honda needs all the hybrids it can design. Just my opinion of course. I had heard that the hybrid Fit will only be available in California. Rumours are fun. Time holds the answer. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
for the Fit, the beefed-up IMA from the civic hybrid would be a better match than straight forklift of the Insight IMA. Fit's something like ~600lb heavier than the Insight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts