Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been working on the smaller items on this 2000 Insight. One of them was that the fuel gauge didn't work. And while you can just reset the MPG every time you fill up it's pretty simple to forget that you have gone 400 miles and the sputtering of the car does not mean it is in super "lean burn" mode.

Anyway I figured it was a broken sender so I bought a new fuel pump/sender assembly and this weekend I decided to finally tackle it. The owner's manual says to drop the tank, but apparently there is a secret port you can go into to find and swap it.

First you have to remove the plate behind the seats, which includes pulling a lot of trim to get to all the bolts. Once those are off and you removed the center console because there is a bolt there you can remove the plate and see into the rear of the car. Ish.

Now the access port is behind the DRIVER's seat (if you are in the US) and you first have to remove the rubber ducting by taking off the three bolts holding down the clamp around it. However this is my car, and every bolt is a challenge. For some reason this thing is corroded around the bolts to high heaven, and one of those three nuts broke free from its' keeper and was spinning. Great. So I removed the 4 bolts that held on the plate and sure enough the back rear one spun its' bolt as well. Great

After some prying I got the top off somewhat, enough to see the problem. See, Honda normally includes a mouse nest at this part of the car. And these are of course metric mice so they don't jam the bolts. But I'm guessing that I didn't pay for the metric mouse option and instead a space was left for an AMERICAN mouse.

Now American mice are SAE, and you know what happens when you mix SAE and metric items. Yep, the mice built a big nest over the fuel pump, corroded the bolts with mouse piss, and of course chewed through a wire because. The yellow wire had been severed, and one of the black wires had a nick in it.

First I got the vacuum out and got a LOT of mouse crud out of there. Real mess. Then I checked the wires, tried to remove the plug from the pump (no dice, it's stuck on there tight) and got the parts to fix the wire.

Then I got a locking pliers under the plate, got the bolt off, took off the plate, got the OTHER bolt off, and started working on the wires. Crimps and a new length of 22 gauge stranded wire fixed the yellow one and I put on some liquid electrical tape on the second wire for good measure. I'll let it dry, then re-assemble tomorrow.

However to check I fired up the car and sure enough the tank is a bit less than half full. So the sender still works, and I have a spare pump. Anyone want to buy it?

Overall this is a moderate pain in the rear project: I first thought it was under the boot on the passenger side, but that is just the fuel filler lines. Glad I didn't take that completely apart. And the corroded bolts turned a normal project into a hand-cutting pain in the rear project. But at least the fuel gauge works....

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Congrats on the fix! I've found with these cars it's always a learning experience.

In IMA-less (and K swap) cars, it's much easier to get to this stuff. In the one I recently gave to my brother, all you need to do to get to it is lift a sheet of carpeted plywood.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

·
Super Moderator
9,176 Posts
After some prying I got the top off somewhat, enough to see the problem. See, Honda normally includes a mouse nest at this part of the car. And these are of course metric mice so they don't jam the bolts. But I'm guessing that I didn't pay for the metric mouse option and instead a space was left for an AMERICAN mouse.

Now American mice are SAE, and you know what happens when you mix SAE and metric items. Yep, the mice built a big nest over the fuel pump, corroded the bolts with mouse piss, and of course chewed through a wire because.
A good sense of humor is always appropriate after a messy Insight project:)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,541 Posts
That is the joy of owning a car that has lived for numerous years in the "Salt Bath" area of the US.LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So for the long term, here are some pictures of the car and repair.

The location of the fuel pump with two bolts rusted. Glad Honda put a mesh over the air pipe for the IMA or it would have been a hell of a nightmare....

Close up of the mouse nest. You can also see the severed wire.

One of the bolts that was seized. Ah corrosion....

All cleaned up! The black stuff is liquid insulation. That plus crimps plus electrical tape to support should be a permanent repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts