Honda Insight Forum banner

FL HoV Law - Hybrid's get free reign

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick 
#1 ·
Response from the DMV-FL (edited for spelling errors):

Hybrid vehicles are now allowed to drive in HOV lanes, however, a decal is required. You will need to submit a letter of request along with a check made payable to DMV in the amount of $5.00. This decal will be valid until December 31.2003, the department will then issue you a decal valid until the birthday of the first registered owner of vehicle. The decal will need to be renewed when you renew you license plate. You may submit your request to DMV Neil Kirkman Bldg. MS#68 Tallahassee, Fl 32399 Personal and Confidental Ann Ivester. Please include you current license plate #, VIN #, and your DL #. After computer program is completed you will be able to obtain these decals from your local county tax collector's office.

>>> Andy Lurig <mlurig@cfl.rr.com> 06/30/03 06:50PM >>>

As of July 1st, Hybrid drivers will be allowed in the HOV lanes... is
there a special sticker that is needed, or any visit to the DMV? Or
just start driving in the HoV lane?

Cheers.

-Andy
[Proudly created with: The Bat! 1.53d]
[Surfing has never been better: Mozilla 1.1]

See less See more
#2 ·
The also just asked me to provide proof of 'hybrid'.... and I asked them how the hell I was suppose to do that, being that the make-model-vin# should do so.

They replied:
We have just completed a form that will need to be completed stating the vehicle meets the requirements. I will have Deidra Wild email the form to you.
There you have it folks... as soon as I get the form, I'll post it or a link to it.

#3 ·
FL HOV law

Any update on your application for a decal to drive in the HOV lane?

I checked with the AZ DOT recently, and they told me that hybrids were forbidden from single-occupant HOV use, by FEDERAL mandate. Surfing around, they are also forbidden in Ca & Ga.

So I'm just wondering if you are really allowed HOV lane use?

DM

#4 ·
Federally no, but if a state passes a law they can, but at the possibility of loosing federal highway dollars. AZ did pass a bill but it speculated pending federal approval which it didn't get. This did create a problem though because a lot of hybrids did get the alt fuel plates. Granted they are getting better at not giving them out in the first place and taking the issued ones away, but they are still out there.

Under national law it says that for a car to use HOV single occupant HOV the car has to meet EPA IHLEV (Inherently low emissions) or be ZEV which leaves you pretty much with full EV or Natural Gas Civic.

In the mean time if you see any hybrids with the blue plates I sugges you write the plate number down and call the Dept of transportation screaming why you don't get the plate like I have done on several occasions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.