Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm hoping for a little knowledgeable help.

My Dad has a 2010 Honda Insight, (bought on my recommendation, as a CR-Z owner). He called me today, asking if I could help...
He last used the Insight on Friday, (two days ago), and went to start the car today, only to find it completely dead. He had to open the car manually, with the key, but had no lights, no nothing...
He tried putting his battery charger on, but the charger wouldn't recognise having a battery connected, so I called my son to go over and help him charge the battery via jump cables. (I live about 4 hours away).
My son connected the jump cables, then started his car, and left it charging the Insight for about 20 minutes before attempting anything. - After 20 minutes, he turned on the ignition, and the front and rear indicators, (turn signals), are stuck on, and the car has no interior lights, or dashboard lights...
At a guess, I'd say the 12v battery could do with replacing, but there must be more to it, as they can't get any ignition lights or interior lights. Is there likely to be a fuse that could cause this? - If so, any idea which one?
The same symptoms are present now, regardless whether the car is connected via jump leads, or not...

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Replace the 12V and re-assess. It is clearly an issue. You can't properly diagnose anything with a bad 12V even with a jumpered battery attached.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do agree, but with no interior light on, (Obviously, the four 21w indicator bulbs stuck on require a lot more electrical current than a 5w interior light), and no ignition lights, there appears to be an underlying issue of some sort, and as a stab-in-the-dark guess, I'm guessing/hoping it could simply be a blown fuse...

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
It's the 12V, a common problem on the G2. Just replace it.

Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've told my son to go and get a new battery tomorrow. Hopefully, that'll fix it, but I have a bad feeling that as soon as the new battery is fitted, the indicators will come back on, and I'll be back at square one. - I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I just can't get to grips with how the car has enough power to light up 4, 21w bulbs, and keep them on, but cannot find the power to illuminate the little 5w interior light bulb.
I've seen my CR-Z with a flat battery before, and I get all sorts of warning messages, or the dash would rapidly flicker on and off, but never anything as weird as stuck indicator lights and absolutely nothing else...

It's so frustrating trying to diagnose a problem remotely. Especially when my Dad and son, have very few tools, and extremely little electrical knowledge between them.
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Well, I'm not a G2 guy, but I've read MANY posts about all kinds of weirdness when a G2 12V battery dies. I'm going to guess that the interior lights are controlled by a computer that is not booted up due to the low voltage.

Don't lose any sleep. When he installs the new battery it will all return to normal.

Sam

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I've told my son to go and get a new battery tomorrow. Hopefully, that'll fix it, but I have a bad feeling that as soon as the new battery is fitted, the indicators will come back on, and I'll be back at square one. - I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I just can't get to grips with how the car has enough power to light up 4, 21w bulbs, and keep them on, but cannot find the power to illuminate the little 5w interior light bulb.
I've seen my CR-Z with a flat battery before, and I get all sorts of warning messages, or the dash would rapidly flicker on and off, but never anything as weird as stuck indicator lights and absolutely nothing else...

It's so frustrating trying to diagnose a problem remotely. Especially when my Dad and son, have very few tools, and extremely little electrical knowledge between them.
Buy one with a warranty so if it goes bad quick you can just get a free replacement. EX: walmart(everstart),interstate,duracell

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts

At worst, you will be at square 2 as you will have fixed a known problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The blinker might be the immobilizer working hard as F... mine went nuts when I tried to manually opened the door and turn the key. Every single one of the electrons were sent to the blinkers and tries to power them on. If you let that sit for a while it's just gonna flick like a strobe like but very faint. Not sure if this is your case since you said they're stuck at on...(or maybe it's blinking and they described as stuck on?) anyhow, I hooked it up with a truck and it worked like a charm, the moment they are confected, everything lit up like a Christmas tree and the honks starts going off as it supposed be when immobilize system is engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadly, it appears my instincts were correct. My son bought a new battery today, fitted it, and it's worse than yesterday. Now, the car is completely dead. He removed the battery from his car, swapped them around, and found that the new battery started his car straight away, but on the Insight, nothing. No lights whatsoever.
I'm still convinced it's going to be something silly, like a fuse, but without being there, I'm at a loss... Any ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sadly, it appears my instincts were correct. My son bought a new battery today, fitted it, and it's worse than yesterday. Now, the car is completely dead. He removed the battery from his car, swapped them around, and found that the new battery started his car straight away, but on the Insight, nothing. No lights whatsoever.
I'm still convinced it's going to be something silly, like a fuse, but without being there, I'm at a loss... Any ideas?
Wait so on both batteries the car was completely dead without jumping?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait so on both batteries the car was completely dead without jumping?
Yes, well, kind of...
At first, it was completely dead, so I asked my son to go and give the car a jump start, assuming my Dad had just left the boot open, or a door ajar. But when the jump leads were connected, the four turn signals were stuck on permanently. No dash light, no interior light, just the four indicators, lit up permanently.
Then he put a new 12v battery on the car, and now, they have nothing. No lights at all. As if the battery wasn't connected.
My thought was that it must be something like a main fuse, but according to my son, there isn't a fuse box in the engine bay... I really wish I was there, but as he's over 4 hours away, I can't get there until the weekend... :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Does the Insight have a printed manual? The fuse locations should be in there.
If you do a search here for fuses, I think you may find that this has happened before. Once the right fuse is found and replaced, be prepared to use the fob to unlock and shut off the alarm, because those four turn signals are what flash when the vehicle is being locked or unlocked. Hopefully it does not have some aftermarket alarm with dodgy wiring.

I think there are links on here for online PDF versions of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know anything about an ACG fuse? - It appears that's what has blown, and seems to be a main dealer part only... Apparently, around £64, or $83!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Do a search here on main fuse or 100 amp fuse. Yours would not be the first one blown while jump starting. Yes the are very expensive. The only alternatives in the thread bout where to get one seems to be trimming a generic one or finding a used one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do a search here on main fuse or 100 amp fuse. Yours would not be the first one blown while jump starting. Yes the are very expensive. The only alternatives in the thread bout where to get one seems to be trimming a generic one or finding a used one.
Well, after a week of frustration and messing around, it turned out to be the main fuse, and an accessory fuse had both blown. - I just wish I know what cause the problem in the first place.
The original 12v battery is fine. It's showing 12.6 volts, and can sink a 100a drop at 11.8v, so not problems there.
And keeping in mind that the problem first started with a totally dead car, (indicating, as I now know), that the main 100a fuse had blown, BEFORE any attempt to just start the car was made. And even when my son DID try to jump start it, he was connecting to a good 12v battery, so that shouldn't have caused anything to blow....
I guess it'll remain one of lifes little mysteries. - But next time my Dad has a light on his dashboard, I've told him to take a photo of it!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,518 Posts
Are you sure that when they attempted to jump start the car, that they did not reverse the jumper cables? If so that could blow the main fuse.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
most cars have a main fuse or battery fuse which powers all the sub fuses, your dad might have failed to mention trying to jump the car already with polarities reversed which usually smokes that fuse first.

just check all the fuses, i don't know why people seem to find this such a daunting task since it takes me less than 5 minutes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts