Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know what everyone is thinking, "Why the hell would you want a working model of a flux capacitor in your car". Well its because I love Back to the Future. So I am in the middle of building a working model of the flux capacitor, and after I install it in my 2003 Insight I will post pictures...

I am also thinking of taking my insight to a shop so I can get the seats done with leather. I like the material now, but leather would look nice as well. What is everyones thoughts on this? If I did it in leather it would look like this...

please go to the following link and take the poll it is open to guests so there is no need to join, I would just like to get opinions on what to do next... The reason why I dont start a poll here is that its easier to have just one poll than 6. Thanks

http://halostreaming.com/poll.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I already took estimates/calculations, and it should be finished in august. But that is a nice site.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Leather would make the car look expensive, sporty, and exotic. If you like leather and can do it at a level of quality that befits the Insight, go for it!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Oh, boy, I can't wait to to see this :wink:

As little as I try to use the A/C, I would probably not enjoy leather on the seats, but hey, that's just me....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A local DeLorean owner (I am a huge DeLorean enthusiast) asked me to build a flux capacitor for him. I refused. It's bad enough what BTTF has done to the image of the DeLorean (as if it could get any worse), but taking perfectly good DeLoreans and hacking them up into time machines is pretty pathetic. At least use a wrecked car, etc...

Anyway...While I have had a few people ask "where's the flux capacitor?" while looking at my Insight, it just seems completely out of place. Those who have asked have recieved blank stares from me, and then the "It's not a DeLorean" line. But post pictures when you're done...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a studying astrophysicist, and a big fan of back to the future. I just think it would look cool if I had a flux capacitor. So the next time someone asks wheres the flux capacitor I will be like its right there between the seats. Yeah I live in florida so I use the a/c no matter what.
But I will post pictures, as soon as each project is completed.

new poll link since the last one didnt work.

http://halostreaming.com/poll.html

·
Registered
489 Posts
You want to build a "working" flux capacitor? Turns out in 1990 a guy named John Bajak claims to have built and operated a working flux capacitor. (Though it didn't require you to reach 88 miles per hour.)

Anyways, this guy claims that time travel drove him insane. Skeptics say he was insane to begin with. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes a working replica. Not an actual time travel device, but a fully lit flux capacitor. that will function exactly like the one from back to the future.
No hover conversion but maybe the camera for the rear end of the car like the one the doc had in back to the future 2(but of course without the glasses).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright, I have taking all my calculations, and I will be finished with the working replica of the flux capacitor in the next couple weeks.

I need some ideas.... I am going to place the flux capacitor in between the seats on that wall that is behind in the seats, as I am sure you are aware of it is curved at the top, and the flux capacitor is flat.
Does anyone have any ideas on what i can put underneath the carpet to make it flat?

Also, I will need to screw it in so it stays. But screws can give alluminum rust, are there any solutions for this prolem as well..

Thank You

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The top of the "wall" is an aluminum extruded channel that runs from one side of the car to the other. From there down to the floor is a rather thin sheet of aluminum. Fasteners will only create corrosion in the presence of water and an electrolyte such as salt, but if you are concearned use stainless steel fasteners as it would help.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Also, I will need to screw it in so it stays. But screws can give alluminum rust, are there any solutions for this prolem as well..
You could use aluminium pop rivets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts