Honda Insight Forum banner

921 - 924 of 924 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I gave some approximate cost numbers back in post #913. It is most likely less than a new Bumblebee.
Which occurred to me as I hit "Submit Post"... I'll lamely hide behind my starting to get a cold I only recently got over as my excuse. The total cost would be higher for the SCiB cells version vs. the Prinsight pack, but considering the greater return on effort investment + lack of needing anti-swelling straps the SCiB pack could be considered overall be a better value (as long as one cares about kWh improvement not just reliability, and doesn't mind manually rebalancing the cells now and then).

I'll discuss it with the two locals whose packs need attention like mine does. If neither's interested in the SCiB conversion, I might just do myself for my Insight even though with the Volt I'm already getting my LIB propulsion battery fix.

Roger

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ive watched this thread, your youtube videos, even talked through messages. I really like the plug and play idea with your board but understand life gets in the way. Would there be any chance releasing what you do have even if its not full feature packed or releasing a bms for 72 cells. I did the lto conversion as it was really really easy. Currently have just a home made bcm fooler. Im looking to do more. My main quirk with the other fooling metjods is the soc gauge not working and being faked. I dont know why but thats a big thing to me. Im not a fan of screens and controllers everywhere.

Just a shot to see if you would even to sell pcb's and a bom or a parts kit of components with a programmed chip. Many others lebowski for example has his boards open source and just sells his chip for his bldc controller.

·
Linsight Designer
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #923 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay... the programming is "all" I have left to do, but that isn't happening anytime soon. At present Linsight supports up to 256 series stacks, but after 36s you'll need a daughterboard per 16s... I'd like to get 48s on the RevB PCB, but that's also not happening anytime soon. It makes sense that I'd eventually sell an additional daughterboard that fits inside the OEM BCM enclosure, which would offer another 48s.

Yes, I will sell you the RevA PCB, but it comes with about a dozen bugs you'll need to be aware of; none of them are showstoppers, but certainly they'll be fixed prior to release. Do note that Linsight is open source, but is also still pending release, so I haven't publicly made anything available; I will though, if people are interested. To be honest, I've been hoping another engineer will take the Linsight project off my hands, and have several times offered this proposal to the community.

Send me a PM and we can discuss whether you're willing to take on this ALPHA, PROTOTYPE hardware; additional firmware development is required. I don't know what I'll charge for this hardware, but I'll certainly send a PCB (with a BOM) for $25 shipped. I'll send you the files for free if you want, too. I'm certainly not guarding any IP on this project; I always make my work product open source (unless the person I'm contracting for prevents that, but I charge less for open source contracts, so that is often enticing to payroll).

Apart from me telling you what presently exists, don't expect me to do any new work on the Linsight project anytime soon... sorry, I'm presently midway through the development cycle on two new CNC machines and they're commandeering my "free time" (along with my neverending house project). Linsight is going to be a fun project to pick up again at some point in the future, but it's always been a pet product, whereas other products I've designed gross seven figures every couple years... Linsight probably won't gross $200,000 ever, so it's certainly a pet project.

To be honest, though, if you're just looking for a BMS, you can buy a complete released system for pretty cheap... Linsight's goal is true drop-in, and I haven't done enough on the firmware to share at this point.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mudder sent pm about what you would release for beta testing. Email adress in pm. Thanks for the contributions to the forum and towards g2 insight. Appreciated.

921 - 924 of 924 Posts
About this Discussion
923 Replies
77 Participants
slociviccoupe
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing