Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The number 1 way to gain MPG is.......................(drum roll).............. LOSE WEIGHT. Thats right, go on a diet and maybe bring your car in for libosuction. Thats right, Weight is a HUGE FACTOR. Guys, you all are talking about adding batteries or making mods, which is alright and can be helpful, but dont forgot about weight too! lol Now you have a new incentive to lose weight to gain MPG with the insight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If weight wasnt such a big deal then how come they couldnt keep a denser sound insulation? :( lol

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Several factors contribute to Insight's awesome efficiency.

1. friction reduction:
aerodynamics
brakes and wheel bearings

2. weight reduction
aluminum body
advanced wiring
reduced sound insulation
Magnesium and reinforced plastic parts in engine
Integrated cast exhaust manifold

3. engine efficiency
friction reduction, (special oil, roller rocker arms)
lean burn
VTEC
cylinder treatment
Chain cam drive

4. hybrid energy management

Reducing weight improves acceleration and handling. It is not a huge factor when the car is moving at a constant velocity, but becomes more significant in stop and go driving.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unsprung weight makes a bigger difference than sprung weight.
By unsprung, it's the rotating parts such as wheels and tires which are more important than weight in the car.
I don't notice much difference when my tank is empty vs full, and that's around 60lbs. Don't think I could lose that much.
I could use 25 tho.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Anything that creates heat will reduce your MPG, using the brakes, using the AC, even running the engine, you lose a lot of heat thru the exaust and the radiator, the best way to increase your mileage is to FAS, that is the least ammount of heat loss, you only loose it by rolling resistance, and the insight has a very low rolling resistance.

I think the Insight is capable of pegging the 150 mpg given the right conditions, I've been able to get it to 143.1, that was over 8 miles going thru city streets, but if there were back roads here in So. Cal, I think it could be done.

Xcel would confirm what I'm writing about. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Calpod said:
<snip>
I've been able to get it to 143.1, that was over 8 miles going thru city streets, but if there were back roads here in So. Cal, I think it could be done.

Xcel would confirm what I'm writing about. ;)
Then xcel's got some _serious_ competition :shock: :!: :) ;)

Not that I am disbelieveing you, your Insight, or your hypermiler skills, but he's got Tour del Sol and his group Prius Pulse & Glide marathon confirmation of his. :p

Congradulations. You shoud seriously entertain some type of MPG competition. :)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
338 Posts
Packrat said:
The number 1 way to gain MPG is.......................(drum roll).............. LOSE WEIGHT.
geez! ok dennis leary!

well...i thought it was funny....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts