Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the insurance companies wouldn't budge.

After being T-boned in the carpool lane on 10/4/2010 by an out-of-control
driver, my 2001 Honda Insight has been declared a "total loss". (I was able to
drive it off the freeway on three tires and a rim. But the body work repairs are
still too extensive for the Insurance company - mine or his - to cover.)

So, I now have a wonderful car, that I must "part" with. It has a new traction
pack (replaced ~20K miles ago). The pack alone cost $2,700. (Under warranty.)

It is in Mountain View, California, at the moment.

So, I just wanted to know if any of you folks might like to pick it up. I have a
bid from a "salvage yard". But I would like to see it go directly back into the
Insight community - if I can.

I have include some pictures, so you can get an idea of the shape it is in.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Willing to sell just the IMA pack? If so, how much?

Also, how are the side mirrors?

GL! Getting another Insight?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm interested. I PM'd you with my contact info. I live in the portland area so pickup should not be too difficult. I have a daughter in SF that I could visit at the same time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
CAn you give us more info about the car? Will it have salvage title? Miles, condition, etc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
CAn you give us more info about the car? Will it have salvage title? Miles, condition, etc
1. 111K miles
2. Excellent condition. E.G., new (20K miles) Traction battery pack, new tires, etc...
3. Will have "salvage title"
4. It has carpool stickers. These stay with the vehicle. You can transfer them to your name.

Jim

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is there any way you can scan or fax the repair estimate? Is the axle bent? Would it drive to my destination if I replaced the tire? I don't have the whole idea of amount of damage. Door, quarter, bumper cover, wheel. Probably tailight? Lift gate? You're in the SF area?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kennysmith,

1. If you give me a fax number, I will send you the repair quote. The estimate is $5300 to fix it. (This is a "dealer approved" body shop. So, all parts prices are new.)
2. I personally believe the axle is bent. It may not be. At issue is a $700 (new) part. Not included in above estimate. BTW, the shop thinks it is just going to need new bushings.
3. The lift gate is fine. The shop included a new spoiler in their estimate. Because it sounds a little loose. I think it was always like that. It just needs to be tightened.
4. Yes, I am in SF area. Actually mid-pennisula. Car is in Mountain View.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks,
Fax # 360-666-3339. Sounds like driving is out of the question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
discovery,

Yes, nothing is hanging off to interfere with tire clearance. But the concern is the unknown state of the rest axle. Therefore, not advised to drive long distance. (E.G., from CA to WA.)

Jim

·
Registered
533 Posts
I once bought a Honda 600 coupe with bald rear tires. Put new tires on and took a 1500 mile trip. By the time I got home, new tires were down to threads. Was pretty worried the last couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
discovery,

Yes, nothing is hanging off to interfere with tire clearance. But the concern is the unknown state of the rest axle. Therefore, not advised to drive long distance. (E.G., from CA to WA.)

Jim
Were you hit by emerging vehicle (side by side) or were you hit straight (front end to your side)?

Jim thanks again for the pm reply.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
discovery,

It was his front end to my side. He was literally driving across the freeway from right to left. Impact was probably 30mph. (His speed.)

A nice lady in a van behind me stopped and gave me her name and number. And said: "It looked like he was trying to make a U-turn on the freeway!"

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few things which I should point out - which I forgot:

1. I drove it off the freeway. On three tries and a rim.
2. A miniature spare would fit - even with the "dished" fender.
3. A full-size wheel and tire MIGHT fit into the damaged wheel well. Not sure.
4. In either case, the unknown state of the rear axle means it should not be driven any distance.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I sold it. But, what an adventure.

I went over to the Body Shop this afternoon - to check on my car...they had put it in the far back of their lot.

Somebody came over and bought it off me. He just put on a new wheel/tire on it, and drove it off. He got about 15 feet - and it locked up. (The right rear wheel.) He ran after me. I came back. And a guy from the shop and I helped him get it going, again. We told him to put it in reverse, and then go forward. No luck. We told him to take off the parking brake. He said it WAS off. But he cycled it anyway. (On/Off.) And then he tried again.

After a loud "pop", the car jerked forward, and the wheel rolled smoothly after that.

I think the brake pad WAS engaged for some reason.

Last I saw he was driving away to get gas. I told him to please NOT take it on the bridge on his way home. I hope he takes another, longer, but safer route.

He made me a "fair" cash offer. He has a shop of his own, and specializes in Hybrids. So, I think he will be able to fix it, and get it back on the road, happy and healthy, again.

Jim

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for making it available to the community. I'm sure it will be back on the road soon. Sounds like you really want another one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts