Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___It has probably been discussed somewhere around here but I don’t remember seeing it … I was stationary at a stop light tonight in Autostop and the car ahead started to move. The car then stopped after ~ 5 ft. of progress as the light turned back to yellow and then red because of other cars blocking the intersection. To get Autostop back, I immediately shifted from first to second and let out the clutch just a touch. I then shifted back to neutral and Autostop began again without really moving. If I would have stayed in first gear or shifted to neutral from first alone, the Insight would want to stay running thinking I was in stop and go I belive. When I used this second gear trick, she Auto-stopped just as she was supposed too :)

___On a similar note, I find Autostop can happen at ~ 12 - 14 mph when I have downshifted to 2nd gear vs. when practically stopped (5 mph or less) while coasting from 5th or neutral to a stop light/stop sign? Is this the way Autostop is supposed to work? I am sometimes tempted to turn the key back one notch to shut down the car (engine only, not the electronics) while coasting from 50 mph + to verify fuel cutoff with no regen. I haven’t ever seen my Insight’s SOC below 2 bars from full in my 2000 + miles yet so I most certainly don’t need regen from 50 mph + with that high a charge. I simply want to achieve fuel cut off when coasting from a high speed and I am not sure how to get it without/unless I use a small amount of regen/engine breaking while watching the l/km scale?

___PS: Leaving the lights on does complete a hidden forces charge to 1 bar from the top on my 2000 Insight which is exactly as I would have hoped!

___Thanks in advance and Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:q31d27or][email protected][/email:q31d27or]

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I can confirm the 2nd-gear-trick to get auto-stop again... I have used it after reading others' reports on the Yahoo! forum.

I'm assuming you've read this:
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... estop.html

You comment on fuel cutoff mode. You cannot get this while coasting, which is moving along with engine in neutral. The engine must be in gear for fuel cutoff to happen and this will always result in engine breaking. This will also nearly always a "small amount of regen" as you describe -- 3-4 bars of CHRG lit up. This is distinct from the regenerative braking you get if you also depress the brake pedal.

If I understood you correctly, you are trying to engage idle stop but don't have your foot on the brake pedal when you shift into neutral. That means that when you do that, even if you are in fuel-cutoff mode, the engine will restart when you go into neutral. See "Conditions for Engine Restart" at the bottom of the page I linked.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
In a situation where I was in a creep and stop line to get in to an event once I was able to get 22 consecutive auto stops while only moving a cars length in between each by using the above method. It fianlly kept idling after the 23rd movement, but came back after I moved again. I think I only had 25 or so total while waiting in the line.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"I haven’t ever seen my Insight’s SOC below 2 bars ... I most certainly don’t need regen from 50 mph + with that high a charge."

Yes you do - otherwise the computer will make it do a bit of charging as you're driving along, thus lowering mileage a bit. If you're slowing down from 50 or so, it's automatically using the least amount of fuel possible, and any regen you get is for free :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi James:

___The regen hit is huge in comparison to coasting from 50 with the clutch in my short 2 weeks time behind the wheel of the Insight. With the lights on never giving me less then 2 bars from the top - SOC, I had an 80.3 lmpg over 2,000 miles here in Chicago’s warmer then normal but still cold winter driving temperatures (until the snowstorm I had to drive home in tonight which left me at 77.9 lmpg :(). I would much rather have the SOC come up 1 bar while in lean burn then dropping my speed back to a crawl in less then 2 blocks under regen in my mostly hwy driving conditions. My holy grail is of course fuel cut over a long slowing coast of maybe ¾ of a mile. There are actually two areas through which I drive where this is the ideal condition for my daily commute to and from work. This is why I was looking for an Autostop or Fuel-cut without regen at 50 + type speeds instead? I like regen when I need to slow quickly from hwy speeds and in city stop and go traffic but for my hwy uses, it is much to aggressive and costs me lmpg imho.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2d54bl0j][email protected][/email:2d54bl0j]

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
The only way to get auto-stop at 50mph is by engaging auto-stop at the top of a hill at less than 20mph, then allowing yourself to drift down the hill while forcing auto-stop to stay engaged either with a very light brake pedal (this will not engage mechanical braking) or by holding the foot down on the clutch.

There is no way to get fuel-cut mode at such a high speed unless you have the car in gear and no pedals depressed. Foot on the brake will trigger regen-braking. Foot on the gas will keep fuel flowing. Foot on the clutch will keep the engine running.

In that case I would just coast in neutral and let the engine run. I and others have shown from the idle gas use thread that you get 150mpg right at about 20mph assuming you are not running the A/C (even in ECON mode). At 50mph you are going to be getting 375mpg. That should be good enough.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Tim:

___Thank you for the reply and I have to concur, 375 mpg is most certainly good enough so I won’t need auto stop at 50 mph …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:vl72bjjk][email protected][/email:vl72bjjk]

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"My holy grail is of course fuel cut over a long slowing coast of maybe ¾ of a mile."

Give it just enough throttle to put out the bars on the regen. Don't know how it works in the flatlands, but it's what I do on long downhills that aren't quite steep enough. The FCD will still be pegged at 150 mpg, but you'll get less engine drag.

I think it's still in fuel-cutoff mode when you do this, but in any case fuel use should be insignificant.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Any hope for us CVTers?

Is there a trick I don't know about to force autostop (as in creeping traffic) for us auto tranny drivers? Not being able to reenter autostop really frosts me... That is the only serious gripe I have with the system... :roll:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I read someone say with the auto civic if you give it a lot of throttle really quick and then hit the brakes enough to stop it will go in to auto stop. Could be different or not work all together, might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yeah...

The CVT will go into autostop if I hit ~9 mph and then stop again. Kinda hard to do in creeping traffic, unless I allow a couple-three car lengths to happen and gun it and slam on the brakes. Not the smoothest maneuver around, but it does work.

Of course, I think my CVT came with a front traffic proximity sensor installed at the factory. If I let a two-car-length or longer gap appear in front of the Insight, a horn blows from the back... :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Horn blowing...

That was pretty funny, boogetyboogety. I've noticed the same thing, but I think mine is tuned wrong. It seems to be tuned at a little less than one car length. Do you think it's under warranty?

I've found the same thing in regards to auto-stop. If I can get my CVT up to 10 MPH, and then put on the brakes again, it will go back into auto-stop most times. It will even auto-stop in neutral, though it seems slightly less reliable than when it's in Drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts