Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They really over-delivered on people were speculating.

About as much space as a Prius V, people speculated 41 mpg, but it's rated 47/47 mpg, 2.0L 188HP engine + 68KW(!) electric, lower base model price than the V (25k vs 26k)...

20 mile range plug in mode, 85 mph in electric, except for the craptastic MyFord thing, it seems amazing.

Ford has been impressing me lately... they've got a 1L 3-banger out now turboed that seems to be kicking butt in Europe now... Honda abandoned it, but Ford is now making bank with it. I hope they bring that one here too.

Sam

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yep, I read an article about that 3 cylinder engine. Sounds pretty good, they are targeting it for the Fiesta in late 2013 from what I read. To bad, planing on buying a Fiesta in Jan/Feb but engine won't be ready here in states then.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Guess I got one up on FORD GG!

Willie

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Yep, I read an article about that 3 cylinder engine. Sounds pretty good, they are targeting it for the Fiesta in late 2013 from what I read. To bad, planing on buying a Fiesta in Jan/Feb but engine won't be ready here in states then.
If I had gobs of cash and mechanical fabrication skill, I'd target that 3 cylinder engine into my 1st Gen Insight to trial it's MPG. It's crazy how that 1 liter engine can outperform engines of twice it's displacement due to that turbo and have more torque than even many undersquare engines much larger than it, which is unusual for a turbo. The 1400rpm spec is amazing and oddly enough blows the Insight out of the water without requiring the electric assist.

The MPG, however was likely not the target as much as I wish it was. I think that engine was really produced to get the attention of magazine editors to say weird stuff like, 'look at this hamster chuck this huge boulder at this squirrel' sort of thing.

I think it would be a good engine match for someone a little larger than a 1st Gen Insight since the efficiency would be wherever the torque peak is at while under say 70-80% load while in whatever spec is needed to avoid pulling turbo power. ...which is a bit tough when the thing is designed to pull turbo at 1400rpm. The details are a bit hidden on how it's all done but I'm sure it could be very efficient but might require some special driving skill to harness the peak efficiency points, although I think it wouldn't be as hard as the Insight with battling holding lean-burn(or battling CVT RPM rise) during cruise and avoiding the plague(assist) on acceleration while maintaining minimum RPM to get max MPG.

Either way, can't wait to test drive one of these 1 liter Ford cars to figure out their tricks.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
20 mile range plug in mode, 85 mph in electric, 68kw electric.

If only I could find a way to migrate this drivetrain to the Insight but keep the Honda lean-burn engine. It would get well over 20 miles with a 1st Gen body, and then some more with light hypermiling. The components, battery, and engine wouldn't weigh what a Chevy Bolt weighs. Too bad that I'm certain none of this would manage to crawl under the Insight hood. ..but I can dream.

To be serious though, I'm very impressed with the C-Max Energi setup, nice vehicle size, seems very practical for most people, great gas mileage, an EV mode that's actually at a useful speed for most people. IMHO It's a plug-in hybrid done right and at a decent price.

I'm just going to stick my head in the sand about whatever this MyFord thing is, sounds like the disaster that CarWings apparently is on the Nissan Leaf but I've got my head in the sand about that too as I usually don't care much about the modern extras.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the drivetrain would be an interesting transplant for an Insight, considering the HP output numbers and the fact that the C-Max weighs 3600lbs (almost exactly twice the Insight!). That would seriously HAUL.

Ford has been impressing me lately with some of their designs... frankly the C-Max makes the I2 look pretty bad, efficiency-wise (of course it still has the lowest purchase price advantage).

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts