Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently obtained a 5-speed 2001 with 32K miles. Had terrible engine vibration so I took it in to the dealership. Three engine mounts were broken which they replaced and called it done. Of course the engine vibration was still there so I escalated the issue and turns out all valves were to tight and that was causing the vibration. The valve adjustment has helped - lots, but the engine vibration is still there. I have cleaned the EGR, replaced serpentine belt, check spark plugs, done all fluids etc. but still the vibration. Most noticeable when it's cold (very noisy and rocks the body of the car) and very noticeable when shifting out of 1st gear. Around 3000rpm under load, just letting out the clutch results in a wa-wa-wa vibration you can feel in the whole car as the engine rpms come down. Shifting through this vibration makes for a rough herky-jerky shift. Honda dealers tell me this is normal operation and they cannot detect any abnormal vibration. Any ideas on what I should do next?

·
Registered
466 Posts
absolutely NOT a normal operating condition. the car should run and shift like and other small-engined sports coupe. broken mounts and severe vibration is cause for concern. find another dealer and make them FIX IT!!! once its out of warantee it will cost you plenty!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check your engine/transmission ground cables

Check your ground cables under the hood for the body/engine+transmission ones.The IMA system is used to cancel/ reduce the engine vibs.Bad ground cable are a problem area with the Insight:they work harden,then the copper wires crack/fail at the crimps.There are two;one for the transmission,and one for the engine.Do a search here and you will find all the past reports with results.

My 2000 had the worn/ bad grounds and the IMA would not/could not fire the curcuit,reducing the engine vibs.

I repaired and replaced the grounds with Marine tinned larger gauge and finer copper wires and the engine smoothed down and returned to a normal Insight.Also as a result my lean burn window mode was easier to find and maintain with the manual transmission.

A two for one improvement,at little cost.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got my car back from the dealership and the engine vibration is completely gone. Runs like a new car and I am embarrassed to say why.
Short History to resolve engine vibration:
-1st dealership did valve adjustment (major improvement)
-1st dealership replaced 3 engine mounts
-1st dealership checked spark plugs
-I replaced grounds
-I cleaned EGR
-I did Idle relearn
Still Vibration
-2nd dealer did system checks, called TechLine to run the numbers
-2nd dealer did another valve adjustment
-2nd dealer found that two spark plugs were so loose, they could be removed with the bare hand!!

So that was it, Loose Spark Plugs. I am so embarrassed. The first dealer told me they checked the spark plugs and everything was fine, so I 'assumed' they re-torqued the plugs, but I think they probably did not even check them. Another lesson for me, if the dealership says it's fine, double check their work!
I just acquired this car so my guess is the orginal massive engine vibration from bad valve adjustment is what broke the 3 engine mounts, the grounds and finally loosed up the spark plugs with the previous owner?
Regardless, my car runs like I would expect it to. Smooth without jerking and big surprise my MPG went up significantly. I just hope driving around for so long with loose plugs did not damage the engine...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
THANKS BenJarrett for the comprehensive post in closure :!:

Many members don't go to this extra but VERY helpful effort :!:
Glad to read you've got your car finally fixed. IMO little damage will have occurred. Well, if you consider the broken mounts "little". :p

Sincerely,

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the update and congratulations on getting the problem fixed, but why are you embarrassed? You did far more than any car owner should need to in order to get the issue resolved. From your description, the first dealership screwed up big time :x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts