Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To bad it costs half the price of the hybrid battery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
7,141 Posts
That's actually really awesome....

Good luck getting someone around here to spend $700 on a 12V battery though. It's hard enough getting people to buy batteries that actually should cost that much. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well maybe they will buy your batteries over this one and keep getting the inexpensive 12v ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Linsight Designer
1,842 Posts
My (nearly) stock G1 uses a 2 Ah sealed lead acid 12 volt battery... all it needs to do is flip over the IMA contactor and from there the DCDC takes over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently put in an Optima deep cycle battery in mine. They had an exact fit for about $150.at Summit Racing.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Optima deep cycle battery
Please keep us posted on the Optima. Costco dropped them after years of selling them because the quality dropped. I have heard the same from others so I am especially interested in your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I currently own 7 of them. I have never had one fail yet. My oldest one is in my race car, a supercharged big block Chevy on alcohol with 13.5:1 compression. It is now 15 years old and still works fine. My Insight has the newest one, it is 6 years old. works fine too. The secret to long life is to keep them on a 1 amp charger when not in regular use, especially in the winter. One is a 6 volt and it turns my 51 Henry J and it never started easier than with this battery. I suppose anything made well could be made cheaper. I guess maybe I'm just proactively lucky. Summit Racing stocks them locally about 20 minutes from me. Expensive, yes, but in the long run, cheaper.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I currently own 7 of them. I have never had one fail yet. My oldest one is in my race car, a supercharged big block Chevy on alcohol with 13.5:1 compression. It is now 15 years old and still works fine. My Insight has the newest one, it is 6 years old. works fine too. The secret to long life is to keep them on a 1 amp charger when not in regular use, especially in the winter. One is a 6 volt and it turns my 51 Henry J and it never started easier than with this battery. I suppose anything made well could be made cheaper. I guess maybe I'm just proactively lucky. Summit Racing stocks them locally about 20 minutes from me. Expensive, yes, but in the long run, cheaper.
I had two in my Dodge 2500 diesel. And I failed to connect the two batteries when I installed them so just one was cranking up that Cummins diesel with no problem. When I discovered the error I connected the two of them, of course. But the scutttlebut is that now that they are being made in Mexico under less rigorous QC the quality has dropped. This would be too bad. I can remember when they started and were still an independent company and had used them for years. But Costco stopped selling them because of too many warranty claims, I have been told. I'm interested in recent purchases of yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts