Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found an Insight. I'm so excited already bought my plane ticket to FL.

2001 Monte Carlo Blue Pearl 5-speed manual w/OD ONLY 29k miles :D

It's owned by a lady who kept it the garage most of the time and the IMA battery was replaced 03/2007.

Going to fly to FL Thursday to pick it up. I have a 11.5 hour/754 miles drive home. I can learn how to hypermile. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
At only 29K miles, it's still a baby! You're robbing the cradle. ;)

Seriously, get some synthetic in the engine, pump up the tires with a little extra hypermilling air, then enjoy a really cheap return flight. ;)

Sure, you can make it on one tank of gas, but I highly recomend finding an excuse to stop once in a while. Snap a few photos with the Insight, check out a restroom or two, phone a friend using a 5 cent a minute calling card. (Don't expect much help from the stereo if the speakers are stock.) I did that distance in 14 hours last summer (besting my previous years drive of 500 miles in 10 hours.). The first 12 were OK. The last two .... a bear. I was so baked, I could barely speak to the Canadian customs lady, who didn't cut me any slack.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Best of luck with the "new" Insight.

As for that long drive, don't try and do it all in one day.

Take it easy, settle back, relax and enjoy the devil out of what should prove to be one of the better cars you'll ever own.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
71 Posts
gnavar10 said:
It's owned by a lady who kept it the garage most of the time and the IMA battery was replaced 03/2007.
At the risk of being a 'negative nelly', why would the IMA battery require replacement at <30k?? or was it just the controller module update?

All that aside, I'm sure you're gonna love it and blue was the color I wish I had gotten!

Many Happy Hypermiles.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting it for?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
HB said:
At the risk of being a 'negative nelly', why would the IMA battery require replacement at <30k??
Hi nelly and welcome to the forum :!: :p ;)

Time on the clock. Regardless of usage time is also a factor.

In fact there is (on paper) a "sweet spot" of usage that all other things being equal will help NiMh batteries last longer. Basically with what can be done from behind the wheel daily driving in the _hyper_ MPG style of little IMA charge and assist. Which should _roughly_ equate to _Battery_ SoC (not necessarily a direct SoC gauge reading ) of around 80-100%

HTH! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting it for $10500. Not bad compared to the one that was for sale in my area. The one in my area was $9800 for a 2000 red manual with 88k miles and it was in a fender bender a few years ago.

If anyone is looking for an Insight there's one listed on Yahoo Auto (Auto Trader) from North Carolina. It's a 2000 silver manual with about 127k-130k miles on it for $6550. It's listed as red but it's silver and the guy said it's in pretty good condition except for an egg size dent above the rear wheel cover. Pulled the carfax report and it's clean. He didn't list the VIN # but he gave it to me over the phone. Contact me and I can forward an email of the carfax and his number. I was about to buy this one if didn't find one by today.

;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
For that price, you robbed that little old lady blind. And the color is pretty too. OK, I know jealousy is bad, but....

BTW, 754 miles trip??? You should be able to do that on one tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KBB listed an excellent condition car at something like $10800. I didn't even bothering haggling with the lady. $10500 was her asking price. I was just so happy no one offered to buy it before me. The car was listed on craigslist (Jacksonville, FL) for two days before I found it. I was searching every craigslist in the states I was willing to drive from. :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the Amtrack train from DC to Jacksonvile, FL and rented a car to drive down to St. Augustine with my mom. Picked up my new car and went to St. John's Tax Collector's to pay for the temporary tags and sales tax (transferable to VA 3%). Dropped of car rental back in Jacksonville and began my long journey home. :eek:

Just got back from picking up my car. Drove almost 800 miles. My back and neck is stiff. :roll:

The drive wasn't that bad. The car drove wonderfully. :lol:

Got only 64.3 mpg. I was driving 65-80mph the whole time with my mom. Not bad considering I was in a hurry to get home. My god daughter's birthday party is in about an hour today. ;)

I'll work on my MPG while driving my daily commute to work. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts