Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
A problem has cropped up with some fraying on my drivers side seatbelt ( right hand side as we have our steering wheels on the right here)

So I am faced with a very expensive new belt assembly, or hundreds of dollars for a second hand one.
gen1 insights were never sold new here so few parts are available locally.

Normally what I would do is take the webbing from a wreck at one of the pick a part yards & retro-fit good webbing into a still functioning retractor.
.... & I found a good belt on another honda but in this case though I struck a problem,

it looks as though one of the slots the belt is threaded through is too small to pass the looped & stitched belt end through..... & It looks as though the final stitching may have been done after the webbing was threaded through.

Am I missing something?
A release mechanism?

Has anyone here done a webbing replacement on a seat-belt?

Here in N.Z. There are apparently no seat-belt manufacturers so no-one Authorised to carry out seatbelt repair.

:rolleyes:
Now it also occurs to me that someone may have a good right hand side belt (U.S Passengers side belt) that they are prepared to send to me in New Zealand if so how much?

or maybe there is a similar belt on other Hondas 2000 on, if so which models?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seat belt replacement

A service manual is available through Helminc.com. You will need it.

In the U. S., the seat belt is connected to a tensioner which works with the supplemental restraint system. My SRS light was on. The seat belt tensioner was defective and caused the SRS light to come on. The new seat belt was 300.00 US Dollars. Majestic listed it for less, but would not ship it because the seat belt tensioner is an "explosive device".

Just giving you an idea of the complexity. Removing the old belt requires cutting the belt itself. In case of accidental deployment, the belt could strangle someone. The tensioner should be deployed with a deployment device. You cannot throw the tensioner away without some liability issues.

I replaced my seat belt with tensioner and brought the old tensioner to a Honda dealer using the packaging for the new one. Mine is a 2000 Honda Insight.

Don't sue me.

·
Super Moderator
2,047 Posts
Seat belt

PM sent.

Scott

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had a friend who's 98 crv had a defective seat belt and it was replaced for free by the dealership, might be worth looking for a recall or campaign

·
Registered
312 Posts
From what I've heard and read, there's a little known warranty that Honda will replace a non functioning seat belt on any Honda car at no cost.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
I'm sure I read the same thing, in my owner's manual - that the seat belt, seat belt system, has a lifetime warranty, free replacement. Not sure if it'd be the same in New Zealand as it is in the States but it might be worth looking into...

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Oh really, I would love to hear more about your SPAM.

Reported.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts