Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: Car is 'sold'.

Free running 2001 MT.
This car was given to me in April... since then I've driven it a few hundred miles. Most of those miles were from my drive back from Nashville to Chattanooga. Since then I've driven it a few times, and just recently passed the TN emissions. Until today I've never had any problems with it...

...so today @jeffffej and his buddy drove 4+ hours to come to pick it up, and then suddenly CEL (P0134) (O2 sensor didn't heat up fast enough), hard engine shudder, and it stalled out. At first I thought it was the IMA battery, because the low battery and brake lights came on. So we charged the battery at around 2 kW for about 10 minutes (pack voltage was 177 volts, which is good). Based on my experience with IMA batteries, it's absolutely not the IMA battery.

-We took the fuel line off the rail and verified strong fuel pressure at the fuel lines, so not fuel delivery.
-Took the spark plugs out (not OEM) and regapped them (they were nearly 2 mm (service limit is 1.1 or 1.2 mm iirc).
-Verified the cats weren't clogged (by placing a vacuum on the exhaust with the plugs were out).
-checked the air filter.
-Probably not the fuel injectors, because the car drives just fine on the road.

When the engine is running above 2000 rpm it's very strong and we didn't have problems driving it. But at idle it stall out frequently, whether or not the AC is running (even with defrost on, which disables autostop). My next troubleshooting step would be to verify the idle air control valve is working properly. I know I could find the root cause, but I was already giving this car away... so I don't intend to troubleshoot it anymore.

@jeffffej walked away from the car because it's a 4+ hour return trip and he was worried about stop and go traffic in Atlanta (I'd be worried about that, too). Jeff and I both agree that on the open highway it probably won't give any problems... it's just that stop and go could be a problem. I apologized profusely for wasting Jeff's day, and still feel bad it suddenly was acting up... felt like a used car salesman.

Even though my confidence is shaken, I'm still fairly confident it wouldn't have any problems driving on the highway... it's just the stop-and-go traffic.

I don't need troubleshooting steps. I simply don't want this car.
I only have it because it was given to me. And now I want to give it to you.
Please just take it so I can build the LiBCM production line in my garage.

-2001 red MT
-260,000ish miles
-1st gear downshift grind
-at least one engine mount is bad (probably rear)
-before today I'd never had any problems with it
-slight body damage on passenger side (door, rear quarter panel).
-AC works just fine.
-IMA battery isn't totally borked (I haven't driven it enough to know how good it is, but it's certainly better than the old NiMH pack that was in my daily driver.
-ground straps are fine.
-clean TN title
-paint is in very good condition... much better than my daily driver.
-it has a switch in the passenger bay that goes into the engine bay. I believe this controls the radiator fan... I haven't troubleshot it.
-instrument panel has some delamination
-has goofy aftermarket horn

Located in Chattanooga, TN.

Here's a video:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would like to take you up on this, for my daughter in NYC. She drove her sister's CVT, and wants one of her own. Nothing here sounds not fixable.

I fixed up a free CVT, and gave it to her sister, who proceeded to drive out to Memphis, down to Atlanta, and back over a week or two. It has a pack in it that I rebuilt. Her sister was visiting and let her drive it last week. She called me and asked me if I had another I could give her!

I'm certain I can sort this out; I have a bunch of relevant parts that I can change in a rest stop once I've looked at the OBD2 readings and am certain I can get it home. I've got a NiMH pack undergoing a long slow recondition at the moment that should bring it back to life. The transmission job offers an opportunity to put some temperature sensors on the IMA motor and maybe do some current boost temperature tests before letting her have it.

I have sent you a conversation.

Sean

Reactions: NewOwner and jime

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
This is a super nice car. I mean really nice, it is smooth, solid, and the paint/body are A+ aside from the minor body damage. John is a great guy. Hope someone gets this. I would have taken it as he mentioned (and fully intended to) but it was a 4.5 hour drive home (if doing the speed limit) through rush hour Atlanta in the pouring rain and being that the car had issues as mentioned it just wasn't worth the risk involved. Should have bought a trailer to get this one but in the end I'm sure it will go to a good home and it was an absolute pleasure meeting John aka mudder.

Reactions: mudder

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had two people offer to take 'Zip' off my hands. Car is (probably) spoken for. I'll update this thread when I know more.

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Told people I’d love a second insight to do not-purist things to it. Hope it finds a home!
I jokingly (?) told @jeffffej that if nobody wanted it, then I was going to intentionally over-charge an LiBCM prototype in the IMA bay to verify that the fire is contained to within the IMA bay (or at least contained within the vehicle).

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts
It likes you, Mudder, and it doesn’t want to leave
Sam

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It likes you, Mudder, and it doesn’t want to leave
Sam
I would like it to not embarrass me again in the future... seriously, no problems with the car. I was quite certain it wasn't going to cause any problems for jeff.

·
Premium Member
2005 G1 NFR 5spd
362 Posts
If the other offers fall through, I will be able to pick Zip up and bring it closer to Cutaway Insight.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,088 Posts
well, crap. I'm on this site generally once a day and I missed this. If somehow everyone else falls through, I'm pretty close to you and can pick it up this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,599 Posts
From all the different threads I "assume" it has already gone.
Sorry!

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right this second it's still in my driveway, but an IC.net member is en route to come pick it up. Since he hasn't posted in this thread publicly, I'll let him choose whether or not he wants the car linked to his IC handle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well if everyone else falls through, I'll take it. truck and dolly ready to go.

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car is gone. Left running strong; we didn't see any of the issues that were present yesterday. I'll let purchaser post up if he wants to. Otherwise I'll summarize Zip's journey home tomorrow.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight CVT, 2001 Honda Insight Manual "ZIP"
26 Posts
Meet @mudder today and picked up ZIP, thanks again for the car! The insight runs strong at least compared to my other insight and displayed no apparent issues for the first 10 miles. After that I felt a pop in brake pedal and it sank to the floor. ZIP had decided it no longer needed brakes. Fortunately they're went too many cars around and I was able to get it safely into a parking lot.

Fluid Window Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sink

A few attempts were made to temporarily stop the leak but, with my limited experience with brake lines and checking with a number of hardware and auto part stores in the area I couldn't locate any compatible parts. It was then decided that a tow truck was the best option. Anytime ZIP was running brake fluid would pour from the right rear brake line regardless of what I tried. If I was able to locate a 10mm 1.0 plug I do believe the car would have made it home with no issue.

Car Wheel Cloud Automotive parking light Land vehicle

And finally ZIP has arrived at it's new home. I plan to go over it when I have time and fix anything major although it doesn't appear to need too much as of yet. I'm thrilled to have the insight as they don't pop up all to often in my area.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wow it looks so good... in your driveway!
Did you wash it?

Sorry you had mechanical troubles. Based on the parking lot you're parked in, you aren't kidding about only getting ten miles. I would have certainly come and helped out.

I can see how the downhill just before that parking lot could cause a rusted line to burst... kind of scary, considering I drove it down the Cumberland Plateau (in between Nashville & Chattanooga).

Hopefully the tow wasn't too outrageous.

Zip didn't give me any problems the half dozen times I drove him, and yet he presented two different problems to two different 'buyers' in two days. I think @Rainsux is right that Zip wanted to stay with me... I wanted that, too... but I wanted the space in my garage more.

Aesthetically Zip is in much better shape than Squib... but I've had Squib much longer and know all his quirks.

Related: I just realized that 'squib' is no longer a fitting name, given how much more power he has now that LiBCM is installed.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Congrats on giving this car a new life!

As far as the stalling @mudder experienced, I wonder if it was from a pulled battery and the car having some issues that it had not yet worked into the ECM's fuel map. I believe this is the reason Honda describes the "idle learn procedure"; I suspect it gets the fueling values updated in the ECM before the customer drives off. An air conditioner that turns on before the car has done this can create quite a lot that will stall it, particularly if it is overfilled. I saw this with my own car just the other day.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Glad you made it safely. In retrospect it's even more obvious I made the right decision not trying to take it home... I didn't take the risk because of the stalling issue but had the brakes evidenced problems otw home I'd be in bigger trouble in monsooning bumper-to-bumper Atlanta traffic. This was definitely a car to trailer home, I misjudged it, but in the end it was nice to meet another Insighter and it looks like the car found a great new home and I just bought a CRX last week so I have plenty of work ahead of me in the wrenching department.

Enjoy!

·
Linsight Designer
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I misjudged the car, too.
Glad it has a new home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts