Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight Manual "ZIP"
37 Posts
Meet @mudder today and picked up ZIP, thanks again for the car! The insight runs strong at least compared to my other insight and displayed no apparent issues for the first 10 miles. After that I felt a pop in brake pedal and it sank to the floor. ZIP had decided it no longer needed brakes. Fortunately they're went too many cars around and I was able to get it safely into a parking lot.

Fluid Window Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sink

A few attempts were made to temporarily stop the leak but, with my limited experience with brake lines and checking with a number of hardware and auto part stores in the area I couldn't locate any compatible parts. It was then decided that a tow truck was the best option. Anytime ZIP was running brake fluid would pour from the right rear brake line regardless of what I tried. If I was able to locate a 10mm 1.0 plug I do believe the car would have made it home with no issue.

Car Wheel Cloud Automotive parking light Land vehicle

And finally ZIP has arrived at it's new home. I plan to go over it when I have time and fix anything major although it doesn't appear to need too much as of yet. I'm thrilled to have the insight as they don't pop up all to often in my area.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Zip cleaned up nicely. And the tow wasn't bad at all, quiet a few tow services between here and Chattanooga so they're priced competitively.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Running good now, no major issues.

The stalling issue was caused by a bad coolant sensor, and it was throwing various random codes until this was replaced.

Removed air horn and fixed a/c wire to compressor (both wires are blue/red) on Zip, one of the pins had popped out instead of fixing that it had been wired to an on/off switch. So, the compressor would run nonstop with the switch in the on position.

Replaced all brake lines with stainless t304 (CBK0101SS), most of the corrosion was right before the rear evap canister. And in hindsight replacing the fuel lines would have been a good idea as well since the brake and fuel lines run together. The brake light wont go off now and I'm no too sure what's causing it to stay on.

Repair stripped threads going to the timing chain auto tensioner which was causing a decent oil leak.

Removed the driver’s side window trim and fixed the wet seat belt issue, someone had repaired it in the past and glued the trim on, thankfully it made it easier to remove. Interior is now leak free.

Fixed the 1st and 2nd gear synchro’s from grinding. I wanted to replace the out of tolerance parts while I was in there but, lead times on parts were not so great. So, for now it's back in the car with a new clutch kit.

The IMA system will throw a p1447 code if the car sits for more than a few days, the pack has good capacity, however. Hope to order a LiBCM kit when it’s ready, I have the battery modules on hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts