Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Until I can buy one it doesn't much matter.

Though I would say if it was sold stand alone a broken cam wouldn't matter anymore.

2 valves per piston though is old school.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Two valves for "Torque", four valves for "Horsepower" at a higher rpm.

Willie

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Qamfree engine Qoros 3 - Guangzhou 2016 - can't buy it yet!

In my opinion, the technology will have very strong backing, from the PRC government, and world investors.

Note in the video the engine being worked on is Chinese and it was in a "Qoros 3 hatchback at the 2016 Guangzhou Motor Show that was showcasing a new Qoros ‘Qamfree’ engine." [sic - from the web]
ot. lolz: I speculate they may have had some ‘qualms’ about the design and seek to assuage the possible design drawbacks with the naming.

Anything to go wrong...: wiki says:
Drawbacks:
"Camless engines are not without their problems. Common issues include high fuel consumption, accuracy at high speed, temperature sensitivity, weight and packaging, high noise, high cost, and unsafe operation if there are electrical problems in the vehicle."​
Possibly more electrical issues applying in a hybrid electric operation, maybe these could be sorted, but still, a bad ground at 6k rpm would be serious at something like 14:1cr that they mention.
"As the country transitions to a more sustainable growth rate, and shifts from manufacturing to consumption, green development is a key priority. The Plan proposes the development of low carbon transportation, stronger infrastructure energy standards, and the use of modern, green technologies to upgrade China’s transportation systems to be more energy efficient. "

So, given the goals to clean up their smogged up cities in face of more private vehicles jamming the roads; coupled with the fact that China has one of the world's largest strategic oil reserves, and that it's the pollution vs. consumption at this point is deemed the problem, then my $0.02 says is it's going into production; or may make a few more millionaires on the stock market. [at expense of late investors.. a game]
The fact it uses more fuel to keep cleaner may be moot in face of collectivist policy directives.

"FWIW" Co-investors on the valvetrain, Kenon Holdings, [50%] also controls Israel Corporation's* investment in the car company Qoros. [<< *the world's largest holding company.]

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind konigsegg is involved here and he makes things work. Also it is air, oil operated the solenoid is for control (like vvt) not actuation. Claims less fuel consumption and more hp. Also he has been debugging it for 16 years.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not an engineer but it sure sounds exciting to have that kind of technology being looked at. I imagine it will be incorporated into race engines first and then be brought out for public consumption. Curious to see how reliable it is.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Michael Gluckman's article headline in Autoblog is a bit deceiving at a glance, in that : "Koenigsegg's FreeValve engine tech is finally working - in China"
in fact not and he promptly corrects himself in the first line, admitting from the start:
"Okay, working might be too strong of a term."
You must realize a lot of the hoopla is designed to generate interest in investments, and albeit whereas much information may come from these sources, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Like the title.

As said in my comments above, the PRC "5 year plan" to clean up bad air is a major motivating force, but it isn't in production yet. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts