Honda Insight Forum banner

Freeway Blaster 132 decibel Low tone Horn Mod

10K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Lil_Red_Wonder 
#1 ·
Hi All,
The vent mod is finally done and I’m just sitting here waiting for hurricane Frances to blow past (storm prep done). I mod’d my horn some time ago and this would probly be a good time to share it. I wanted to leave the stock horn intact and add a second horn to compliment it. I had pulled out the under hood fuse panel assembly. Wouldn’t want to tap off the wire that goes to the stock horn, looks to me like it’s 28 gauge (real thin). If you look in the fuse panel at the relay you’ll note that there are two other relays (same part #) just to the side of it. Those two others use 15 amp fuses so I guess…their rated for at least 15 amps. So first I changed the 10 amp fuse for the horn to a 15.
So I decided to tap off the 12vdc to horn signal. For a horn I chose the “Freeway Blaster” available at Advance Auto Parts and probly Auto Zone too (cost about $10). Chose the 132 decibel Low Tone to compliment the meep-meep horn. Mounted the horn close to the fuse panel, used the bolt for the drivers end or the cross bar and the mounting bracket that comes with the horn (had to drill/enlarge the hole in the bracket a little so the bolt would go thru.
Next pulled out the horn relay. The socket connector for the horn signal is the one in the center. Removed some of the socket wall (on the passenger side) so I could run a 12 or 14 gauge wire in and insert the bare end into that connector (like a fuse tap). I used a red wire (about 14” long). The other end I ran neatly to the horn and connected it to the horn with a standard insulated female bayonet connector (you can connect it to either connector on the horn, doesn’t matter). The short wire that comes with the horn I put on the other connector. The other end of the short wire has a hole connector which you can stick under the cross bar bolt (see pics). Made red wire neat with a couple of wire ties
and Wa-La, done. Want to get peoples attention? You can now. A nice easy fun mod where I don’t get chased around dealerships or parking lots. About ½ hour shopping,
½ hr staring at engine compartment and ½ hr for install. Enjoy your ride, Jack When you get to the URL click on NEWEST to view horn mod pics...
http://community.webshots.com/user/jackmpg

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, I want to do this too. And thanks for this mod info.

Please help. I am missing something here. When I read and checkout the info, I see the relay is not put back. I therefore think that the OEM horn can not work as no electricity is going to it. Only the new horn works because it is wired directly from the steering switch to this new horn (without the relay)
Am I correct. Or have you put a new relay that connects to the new horn and the OEM (through one of the "relay trigger" connector) horn. And is powered by the red wire.

#3 ·
Reply to Horn Mod

The relay was only left out for the picture. Do not worry, the mod does work. Did mod aprox 6 mos. ago and nothings fried yet, try the panic mode on your key control, the noise will chase anyone away. After you do the mod just put the original relay that you pulled out back in and your done. It will easily handle the increase of power required to fire both horns together. Please let me know of any more questions you may have, I only want to make sure the mod meets your expectations.
Jack

#7 ·
YES! ...very cool.
Way back when...someone posted to the Yahoo Honda-Hybrid group (or was that the Honda-Insight group?) about installing an air-horn. This is a MUCH more sensible mod IMHO. Looks like I'll be dropping by the neighborhood AutoZone tomorrow! :D

I hate that the Insight was such a wimpy horn - the 30 year-old stock horn(s) in my old '75 Spitfire are twice as loud and much deeper!

Thanks for the write-up Jack! I'll have pics posted on my website by Sunday night (hopefully)

-Jim

#8 ·
air horns

I've actually installed air horns in two of my cars (not the insight) and there's a few problems that stop me from putting it in:

1. The compresser takes about 15 amps, so a new relay needs to be put in
2. The compresser is also on demand, so there's no standby pressure, meaning every time you honk your horn, there's a 1/2 delay to pressurize.

#9 ·
I have installed the same 132 db horn. It was $27 at CanadianTire :(

I have connected in the fuse box. Under the box, there is a wire cover. I connected to the Blue-red wire and soldered to it. The connection is within the cover, inside the box.

I have installed the horn between the bumper and the A/C radiator. It is near but the horn can witstand the heat. I passed it under the bumper by removing the two clips. I then bended the attaching plate to fit. It is bolted to the aluminium "real" bumper by accessing by the front of the bumper, near the tempature sensor.

Here is a picture:
http://yves.fungiart.com/images/misc/horn.jpg

The horn is pointing down. The sound is loud as I am supprised when I hear it. Two tones is nice.

I have chosen the location knowing that the elements and salt can rust it. But I wanted a loud sound to prevent accidents. I'll have to check it's state every year. I'll find the corrosionX stuff for it.

Thanks for the help you have given.

#10 ·
REPORT: First time use of the "twin" horn.

Once again in traffic, someone in a hurry 'tried' to send me into the parked cars by changing lane while they where along side of me.

Back in the "one horn" time, I had to brake, almost locking the wheels (ABS use), almost being hit in the rear by the rear car following me. All this while I hit the horn and the other car not reacting (persue lane change)

But not this time, I used the "twin" horn, the guy heard, saw that I was there, got back into his lane, smiled, waved and excused himself.

I love this new horn. It sounds almost like the car is a 1973 Continental, as big as a whale.

#12 ·
To my knowledge (witout checking in the manual, from memory)
It is just an add-on "DRL" control module in the dash behind the driver's pocket. I think that all the wiring is already present (a connector).
It uses electronic to control the lights instead of the relay so it lowers the voltage to the lamp, for lower intensity. Or something like that

#14 ·
I just did this mod myself. Everything went smoothly, except I blew out my horn relay. I think when I pushed the relay back in, the wire may have touched two of the contacts on the relay. Now the relay is stuck in the on position, and the horn honks continuously whenever I plug in the relay.

For now I replaced the relay with one of the relays from the headlights. That will work for now until I can purchase a new relay. (I don't drive at night much anyway, and 1 headlight still works.)

Other than that, the mod went well. The new horn sounds nice.

James

#15 ·
Everything went smoothly, except I blew out my horn relay. I think when I pushed the relay back in, the wire may have touched two of the contacts on the relay. Now the relay is stuck in the on position, and the horn honks continuously whenever I plug in the relay.
I did exactly the same thing, except that what happened was I pushed one of the "legs" on the relay into the relay housing just a tiny bit when I was trying to seat the relay. After pulling it back out to match the other two it fixed the continuous honk problem. You might check to make sure that all three legs of the relay have the same amount of leg exposed. Pull gently if a correction is needed! I think I goobered mine because I hadn't made the cutout for the new wire quite large enough and decided to just jam the relay home rather than spend another 30 seconds with the file. So then I had to spend some time figuring out the leg length problem, fixing that, and then filing the opening a bit more.

#16 ·
Awesome! Your idea about one of the legs on the relay being pushed in was correct. I pulled it back out, and now the relay works as expected. This time I used smaller wire (18 guage), and that put less pressure on the relay leg.

Thanks for your help. Dang this forum is handy!

James

#17 ·
Nuked my relay as well.

Seems like a common issue lately. I did the horn mod a couple of weeks ago and nuked the relay in the process. Dropped in a new relay from the local carquest and we are good to go. Jackmpg was a super first responder when I sent him an email on the problem. Thx.

New horn combination makes people take notice! :shock:

#20 ·
Hey I just want to disconnect the factory and just install the freeway blaster, but I have looked on the web and in the EC but cant find the horn. Could some one point me to the correct spot

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.