Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced front brake kit? I need pads and rotors on a 386K mi. 2001 MT.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
just walk into your nearest autozone or orileys. It's worth just having some place to return parts if they don't fit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I find that the cheap to medium-tier brake parts locally are pretty bad quality...
and when you start looking at the premium stuff locally it's pretty over priced.

I would recommend you get some nice pads and rotors online.

I snagged some "stage 1 street" EBC performance rotors & pads online for $90.21 shipped.

The rotors aren't drilled or slotted, just some nice coated rotors to prevent the rust from destroying them.

Keep in mind the manual and automatic insights have different brake parts so make sure buy accordingly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
brakes

Any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced front brake kit? I need pads and rotors on a 386K mi. 2001 MT.
I recently tossed on a cheap set from local parts store. Rotors were 23 bucks each and I think 24 for the pad set. Seems like most local stores don't stock rotors around me but I found 1 place that does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im going to be installing a kit from amazon this week. It comes with the front brakes and front rotors for 57 bucks. Can't link it cause im new but its called Autospecialty (KOE4795) 1-Click OE Replacement Brake Kit

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I know my cheap brakes from Advance Auto needed to have the tabs ground slightly in order to slide properly. They're still probably not the greatest in the world. I will probably look into the ebc option when I'm in need of brakes again. I didn't do discs so I'll probably do the whole front this spring.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I find that the cheap to medium-tier brake parts locally are pretty bad quality...
and when you start looking at the premium stuff locally it's pretty over priced.

I would recommend you get some nice pads and rotors online.

I snagged some "stage 1 street" EBC performance rotors & pads online for $90.21 shipped.

The rotors aren't drilled or slotted, just some nice coated rotors to prevent the rust from destroying them.

Keep in mind the manual and automatic insights have different brake parts so make sure buy accordingly.
Where did you manage to find them? I can't find EBC brake parts for the Insight anywhere. I managed to find some brembo rotors but no pads.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Where did you manage to find them? I can't find EBC brake parts for the Insight anywhere. I managed to find some brembo rotors but no pads.
I bought it on carid.com

https://www.carid.com/2002-honda-insight-brakes/ebc-stage-1-premium-street-brake-kit-562725629.html

I'm gonna admit I haven't installed the brakes yet but I feel confident they are the right parts.

edit oddly enough they are selling them for $133 now which is weird since I bought them for $90 shipped about 5 months ago

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is timely. My front brakes just started making some noise, mostly while backing and turning. The dealer diagnosed brake pads down to the last 1mm, plus worn rotors. They want $350 for a complete brake job, which isn’t really that bad given the Honda parts prices I’ve looked up at g1parts.

But I’d rather do it myself, and I’ll probably go with the $50 ProStop kit from RockAuto that includes rotors and pads. After all, this is a $500 car with 250,000 miles on it.

I’ll report back in a couple of weeks.

Park

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just buy Honda pads from one of the discount places on the net. If your rotors are in good shape then you can simply replace the pads and your good to go. I ONLY replace rotors if they're trashed, or measure under the min thickness. Replace your brakes before that happens and the job is a peice of cake

·
Registered
38 Posts
I fitted an Insight (MT) EBC front brake kit about a year ago, definitely reccomended. A very easy job on these cars. I have no interest in the "performance" aspirations usually associated with EBC brake kits but I have found them such an improvement in brake feel and in cleanliness -(much less dust) that I now have EBC on all my cars.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I fitted an Insight (MT) EBC front brake kit about a year ago, definitely reccomended. A very easy job on these cars. I have no interest in the "performance" aspirations usually associated with EBC brake kits but I have found them such an improvement in brake feel and in cleanliness -(much less dust) that I now have EBC on all my cars.
You have piqued my interest. In my rainy area I get rotor rust in a few days. What model EBC did you use, how long did it take to do a remove and replace and what was the cost? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts