Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Front Dash Tweeter Speaker Change

This task was not easy, 9 out of a 10 for difficulty. I installed Infinity Kappa 10.9t speakers. These wold not fit with any of the adapters Infinity included with the kit. A lot of machining to do. 8+ hrs from beginning to end of machining and running wire. Sound is really good. Installing Boston Acoustics tomorrow, they should be really easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics:
After Modifying the speaker itself by removing the protective covering and reducing the depth by nearly 7/16 of an inch. I still had to cut away a very slight amount of dash to get her in the hole. You cannot tell any dash was cut. I can tell you this, those new Infinity's are in to stay and the sound pops. I have the NAV head unit and there seems to be enough power in the unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
dyelooper, I have a quick question...when you lifted the plastic covers by the windshield..up..do these factory tweeter speakers click into place? Ive been thinking on ordering the factory ones and drop them in (my LX--doesnt have tweeters)..Just wondering..I find the stereo not as loud as my civic was..I was hoping the 6 speakers might give an audio boost...Thanks..Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they click into a small holder that is molded into the speaker cavity. The factory tweeters do produce a small amount of sound, they do help. Question, will a LX be wired for adding tweeters? That I cannot answer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, My car was totaled last week and I pulled the tweeters out with the bracketing I made out of delrin plastic (Acetal). So if someone would like these tweeters with adapeters they are yours. Infinity Kappa 10.9t speakers modified to fit into the plastic housing I made. These come with crossovers. Tweeters alone were over 100.00

Infinity Kappa 10.9t 1" textile dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

You will have to mount the speaker/adapter to your tweeter grills, pretty easy though. They will be a tight fit going in, but they will fit.

Tweeters, crossovers and Adapters- $125.00

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you've got the factory tweeters, ditch 'em and if you haven't, don't bother getting them. They're awful. I got fed up with them. They didn't fill the mid to high range at all really. Just a bit of top end fizzing.

I replaced them with the JBL ones I pulled out of my Accord dash before it went to the recycler. The main reason for the difference though was the low pass filter cap on the factory ones. Half the value of the one on the JBL unit. So the JBL ones start to work at a lower frequency than the factory ones - actually making some noise at mid frequencies. Improved the speech clarity on Radio 4 and filled out the mid-high end of music without having to turn the treble setting up in the menu (that used to just make the music more tizzy than actually clearer).

I didn't have to machine anything on the holders. Just popped out the clip-in factory ones and hot glue gunned the slightly smaller diameter JBL ones in there.

The most difficult bit was getting the tweeter mounts out of the dash in the first place. There's a small screwdriver gap in the edge and you have to prise it up with a fat flat blade (using a cloth to protect the dash) and then use a second fat flat screwdriver to work your way along the edge of the plate until the clips pop out. Watch it when doing this as the clips have a metal spring plate bit that can pop off the plastic lugs and fall down inside the dash! I managed to fish a lost one out with a magnetic screwdriver. There are a couple more just plastic clip lugs on the sides and the back just has a couple of plastic hooks. So when you pop the 3 clips on the front edge and then the two on the sides, just hinge the plate up and pull towards you and the back hooks will just come out of their holes in the dash.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I think about upgrading, but I think I am too fat and full or orthortic problems to reach them. As is I use a windshield wonder to clean the windscreen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you've got the factory tweeters, ditch 'em and if you haven't, don't bother getting them. They're awful. I got fed up with them. They didn't fill the mid to high range at all really. Just a bit of top end fizzing.

I replaced them with the JBL ones I pulled out of my Accord dash before it went to the recycler. The main reason for the difference though was the low pass filter cap on the factory ones. Half the value of the one on the JBL unit. So the JBL ones start to work at a lower frequency than the factory ones - actually making some noise at mid frequencies. Improved the speech clarity on Radio 4 and filled out the mid-high end of music without having to turn the treble setting up in the menu (that used to just make the music more tizzy than actually clearer).

I didn't have to machine anything on the holders. Just popped out the clip-in factory ones and hot glue gunned the slightly smaller diameter JBL ones in there.

The most difficult bit was getting the tweeter mounts out of the dash in the first place. There's a small screwdriver gap in the edge and you have to prise it up with a fat flat blade (using a cloth to protect the dash) and then use a second fat flat screwdriver to work your way along the edge of the plate until the clips pop out. Watch it when doing this as the clips have a metal spring plate bit that can pop off the plastic lugs and fall down inside the dash! I managed to fish a lost one out with a magnetic screwdriver. There are a couple more just plastic clip lugs on the sides and the back just has a couple of plastic hooks. So when you pop the 3 clips on the front edge and then the two on the sides, just hinge the plate up and pull towards you and the back hooks will just come out of their holes in the dash.
Thanks for the detailed write up.

I'm definitely thinking about some speaker upgrades. I have the stock 6 speaker setup and it leaves a bit to be desired for sure. I was thinking the same as you, the tweeters don't contribute much and the response from the whole group of speakers is far from flat, there are big holes in the frequency response for sure.

I was thinking to start with the door speakers first and they might be sufficient though I know a quality set of tweeters would surely help. It sounds like the physical part of the replacement is not trivial, ugh... I was afraid of that.

I have to decide on door speakers first and go from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this thread is old but I'm hoping to find information about replacing the tweeters in my 2010. Nothing fancy, just an aftermarket pair that will sound better than the stock ones.

I have replaced all the other speakers, added a powered sub and sound proofed the car. Just need to swap out the tweeters.

·
Registered
2012 Insight Base
36 Posts
I need to know if there is wiring going to the tweeter area if there were no tweeters ? I have the base unit and had no rear speakers . which I did not know till I swapped my head unit and tried to the rear and nothing came out, luckily they were kind enough to have wires pulled . Which to me is ridiculous , how much would it cost to just slap the same cheap speakers in the rear.

Well anyway the reason I swapped the head unit with my old trusty pioneer was I dis connected battery too long and did not have radio code. Local Honda dealer would be happy to remedy for $75. No way I would pay to unlock that cheap base receiver.

Of course this got me traveling down the well beaten path and my sub amp arrives tomorrow . I have the power and RCA / remote on wires pulled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts