Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It is time for a front brake job on the 2010 Insight. 52000 miles so first set of brakes and rotors!

Can anyone here direct me to the How To step by step service procedure, with torque specifications, etc?

Did a search here and couldn't find it.

I have done a lot of brake jobs but never on a Hybrid.

Are there any pit falls???

Thanks in advance

:-|

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Same procedures as any other vehicle with front disc brakes. You must be hard on brakes, you should get at least 75K.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
LD
It is listed. I do that request via PM most of the time. Did you ever get the vent shades installed?

Willie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Hi
Ive added some personal details, so you can know I'm not lurking.

The dealer told me pads were needed.
Long story on that one, some how a TPM sensor in the right front wheel was leaking air, and I had no way to reset the computer/monitor. SO
$50.00!!! Dealer did it.

Really I thought 52K would be about right for pads? My insight is used for mostly local commutes by my 22 year old college son, Lead Foot.
You would think it is an SCCA racer, the way he drives. :D!

I am going to check the pads myself at the next oil change, at 20% on the oil meter now.

Thanks for the procedure list. I like to be prepared.

I also called Honda about checking my computer software for an update. (Read about it here on the forum) Does anyone know if 2010 Insights have a current update?
The dealer said it is $50.00 to upgrade if necessary.
But to check it is free!!!

Thanks folks

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Its like any other car. You can even get cross drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads. The brakes are weak for such a hog of a car. I use the above mentioned parts and my brakes are nice and sharp and repeatable. :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Our Insight needed pads at about 60k, even though the dealer had said at a previous service the should last to 75-80k based on the wear at about 45k. I scoffed and figured we were being worked. Well a family friend did the brakes and found one pad almost completely gone. (The rest were not very worn) so I do think that, even though the pads can last a really long time with regenerative braking, they still need to be serviced. Now most of us would laugh if a dealer wanted to charge us to "service" the brakes. However our previous Honda Odyssey did need to have the caliper pins lubed between pad replacements just to quiet the rattling down. It was the opinion of the friend who did the Insight brakes that the one worn pad was sticking. The point is, it may not be a wild child, but the nature of the beast.

It is my opinion that a dealer should not be charging to update the software. Especially if one is having other work done. They must connect the Insight to the Honda computer in the service area to do the updates. Once it's connected there is no more labor involved. In fact we have had several folks report that the dealer told them the updates are covered under the IMA warranty. The length is dependent on the state the vehicle was first sold in. CARB states are 10yr/150k. Others are 80k, not sure about the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've got over 130k miles on the stock pads ...

Funny enough, I need a new rotor before new pads.

It's not *bad, bad* yet. But I also don't want vibrations messing with the high-mileage suspension bits, either.

I guess I'll be changing the pads out either way very soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brake has strange noise sometimes. Don't know where and why.

I've got over 130k miles on the stock pads ...

Funny enough, I need a new rotor before new pads.

It's not *bad, bad* yet. But I also don't want vibrations messing with the high-mileage suspension bits, either.

I guess I'll be changing the pads out either way very soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts