Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front brakes have started to get really bad when braking at hwy speeds, I can feel that they may be warped. Anyway I bought a new set of pads and called around looking for a shop to turn the rotors, best price was 12 bucks each. I found new replacement rotors at Autozone for 15 bucks each.

Anybody had problems with after market rotors?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If rotor warp is truly the culprit, and it is as bad as you say...turning probably won't help.

If you change your pads yourself, you should be able to replace the rotors yourself pretty easily as well.

I have not heard anything about aftermarket rotors being a problem, if they are made to OEM tolerances I'd say go for it. But you might want to consult a mechanic to be sure that rotor warp is the problem before you put in the money and effort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know how bad your brakes are but if there was only a $3 difference per wheel between turning the existing rotors and buying new ones I think I'd bite the bullet and spend the extra 12 bucks.

I have heard that some of the non-oem replacement rotors on Japanese makes have a tendency to warp fairly easily so check to see what kind of warranty Auto Zone is going to give you on the replacements.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I recommend quality rotors to greatly reduce the chances of getting out of round rotors or warped rotors soon after replacement.
The best are:
Made in Japan Honda OEM rotors
Brembo blank rotors

The Insight rotors are exactly the same as the 1984-1987 Honda CRX Si front vented rotors .
With this description you can find the Brembo blank rotors on tirerack.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I installed the rotors I got from autozone, 250 miles and they're great so far. The old brakes I think were still the original that came with the car, pretty worn out at 52K miles.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
brakes

The prior owner must of been a "brakeman for the railroad".
My first set went over 100,000 miles.
Even when I changed them, there was a lot of pad lineing left.
I still have the old pads on the shelf as a "trophy".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe, I got the car with 38K miles on it. My daily round trip commute is 140 miles with a lot of that in stop and go traffic, some days an hour of traffic some days very little, I'm sure my driving added to the wear of the brakes to some extent.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just an editorial comment from a former VW Master Tech..(I moved on to white collar crime years ago). Most instances of warped rotors are caused by improper torque on the wheel nuts, usually caused by some idiot using an air wrench on the lug nuts. NEVER use an air wrench on a vehicle with disk brakes or alloy wheels. Wheel nuts should be first tightened evenly by hand, then torqued to spec (in the case of the Insight, 80 ft lbs) in three sucsessive steps, say 50, then 70 then 80 ft lbs, in a crossing pattern.

This is fairly easy to understand. If you ram them down like the idiot at Big O Tire with an air wrench, there's no way any of the four lug nuts will be at the same spec. When the rotor subsequently heats up and cools, the uneven tension at the wheel hub exerts differnet pressures on the hub flange, which is then transferred to the rotor. The natural end result is that the uneven stresses will dissipate across the rotor face, warping the surface, hence the judder.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 2004 Insight CVT was purchased used with about 31k on the clock. It had been driven in the So Cal area and did a lot of stop & go commuting from Riverside into LA & back. The pads were far less than 1/2 worn and the rorotrs were hardly worn at all. However, in certain situations they chattered like mad. I ended up just getting a set of AutoZone pads & rotors, since the entire setup was on $45, vs. over $130 at the cheapest place I could find for factory parts. 3k miles later they're doing fie, however I have no illusions they'll last as long as the factory stuff.

My Honda tech expert friend tells me the brakes on the Insight are a direct lift from the late '80's CRX, and as such are asked to handle a lot less weight than they were originally designed for. This appears to explain the long life. However, they can still overheat and warp in certain operating conditions. As I posted earlier, another killer is improper wheel torque procedures.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your Honda tech expert friend is far from being an expert in regards to the false information he provided you about the weight that the Insight's brake system was originally designed for. The brakes on the Insight are not "asked to handle alot less weight than they were originally designed for".
The rotors match up to those originally used on the '84 CRX 1.5, which weighed 1816 lbs. That's 31 pounds less than the Insight, likewise without a/c. Moreover, the calipers (aluminum on the Insight only) are different on the 2 cars (and the same for the pads that go in them), and including the '88-'91 CRX HF which continued on with the '84 CRX 1.5 rotors, so it is incorrect to state that "the brakes on the Insight are a direct lift from the late '80's CRX".

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
PLEASE guys :!:

Let's keep away from the "personal" assessments. Remember there's a lot that can _easily_ be left out in understanding via this limited means of communication. You have made your point(s) and both have merit. I'd say if you both spent the huge amount of time necessairy dotting your i's and crossing all your t's then the gaps in your information (and hopefully corresponding understanding) would be closed. (Read, get highly technical and specific in the terms used and understood). But where's the fun in that :?:

Its a _highly_ technical topic. Without extensive qualifications to most anything written it _could_ be discredited.

As with most automotive systems e.g. brakes there is a huge "margin of safety" built in. AFAI remember there have been several Canadian members using aftermarket rotors for the CRX and they do "safely" work. And a Honda DSM isn't necessairly a technical "guru".

Further personal "attacks" will be moderated without additional notice. :|

·
Registered
95 Posts
<< And a Honda DSM isn't necessairly a technical "guru". >>

Well, actually he's a Honda REGIONAL Service Manager, which means all the DSMs work for him. He's also techincal a former Honda Service Training instructor. (I won't worry too much about him steering anyone wrong. )

·
Registered
89 Posts
Irregardless of this Honda guy's job status, he clearly didn't bother to go to research the weight of the CRX 1.5, which originally had the same size rotors as the Insight. I'm an original owner of an '84 CRX 1.3, and I did go to check the weight in the 1984 Honda Civic sales brochure that I have sitting around, prior to making my post. The CRX 1.5 weighed 31 lbs. less than the Insight, as mentioned in the earlier post. That's a fact, from a documented valid source. The Honda guy was guessing (that the CRX weighed ALOT more), and he guessed wrong. Guessing wrong and then formulating a theory based on that guess, instead of researching the correct facts first, is what I call steering somebody wrong. And it doesn't matter what your occupation is.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Guillermo said:
I recommend quality rotors to greatly reduce the chances of getting out of round rotors or warped rotors soon after replacement.
The best are:
Made in Japan Honda OEM rotors
Brembo blank rotors

The Insight rotors are exactly the same as the 1984-1987 Honda CRX Si front vented rotors .
With this description you can find the Brembo blank rotors on tirerack.com
As for the pads, same thing or Insight specific.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The only good pads I've tried are the OEM Insight pads, they can handle an amazing amount of track time before beginning to gently fade.
But after they cool down the OEM pads are fine again.
The Willliam FS2 pads started out good but they overheat much too easily, even before the 1st hot lap of a track. After they overheat the William FS2 pads are never the same and become terrible even for normal street use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How about nissin oem pads from track racing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Normand said:
How about nissin oem pads from track racing.
I've never heard of nissin pads and how can they fit if they designed OEM for another car?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
FYI Nissin and Akibono are currently or have been OEM suppliers of Honda brakes. They also manufacture their own "house" friction compound blends and are widely available in the aftermarket.

I don't know if an Insight pad is available from them or their compounds will be comperable. For other "main" line Honda models there is a clear difference in the compounds, but little difference behind the wheel in normal street driving. :)

HTH! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts