Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning as I was backing out of the driveway I inadvertantly clipped a low-level brick retaining wall. Seemingly not that serious but when I got out of car (2000 model) to check it out I found that with a slight tug the entire front bumper section came off. Closer inspection showed that a couple of the black plastic screws holding the black underpanel in place had broken off but I was surprised to find no evidence of screws ever in place under the hood to hold the entire unit in place. My immediate fix was to transplant two bolts from my lawnmower handle into the two holes to the right and left of the radiator. It's holding so far but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. The underpanel has been torn from the screws in a couple places above the wheel well and will likely need to be replaced. Can these be purchased separately?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
A lot of the fasteners aren't screws, but pop-in fasteners (don't know what the official name is) similar to the ones used in interiors. You can buy them, but the only place I've found them is through a Honda dealer, and they're not cheap.

If the fastener is in a concealed but reachable spot, try using a nylon nut & bolt (available at most hardware stores). I've done that in a couple of places.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There are a number of different styles and an automotive shop that caters to body shops keep quite a selection. Some are like a rivet which you push into the hole and then push the pin into it to spread the 'feet'.
Many auto parts stores carry some kinds in the red 'help' boxes (mostly American cars, but I've seen some imports) with 2 or 3 fasteners in each. A lot of times on body panels, you can't get to the back of the holes to put a nut on them, so you have to use the 'blind' fasteners.
Good luck with it.
robert

·
Registered
33 Posts
Front Bumper, etc.

Sounds familiar. I purchased my Insight in early November and I knew it had "limited" ground clearance, but I did not realize just how limited until I went to a restaurant and parked over a concrete curb. When backing out, the metal plate snagged on the curb - pulling the bumper and plate loose from their plastic connections. I thought I had put it back until, a few days later, more of the plate broke loose, releasing a lot of sparks (and scaring the poor driver behind me). I have removed the plate and reattached the bumper with the connectors and zip ties. My local Honda dealer says they have reattached several bumpers for the same reason - for a price. Lesson learned. I now stop well short of curbs, sidewalks and bumper blocks. The lack of the metal pan seems to have slightly affected my MPG. I plan to get it and the bumper reattached when I take the Insight in for a Tune-up and Oil change in a few weeks.

Ted
Mt. Pleasant, SC
2000 Insight #5490
Silver 5 spd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts