·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only problem is getting them to the IK.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I guess that I don't understand your point. Wouldn't you have the same problem if you bought them from the TireRack link that you posted.

The eBay ad claims USA and International shipping. If you contact them, they will quickly provide you a shipping quote.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have been competing in autoslaloms and track events for 7 years.
I have been a collision avoidance, high performance driving and track school instructor for 6 years.

All stock cars tend to understeer. But the most significant factors that contributed to your underteering issue during your first auto solo are:
1) driving technique (not optimizing the transition between maximum braking weight transfer and a smooth corner entry turn in responce)
2) OEM all season tires have sub-par grip compared to ultra high performance summer tires.

Camber bolts like the ones you mentioned are not allowed in stock classes. They usually move you up to a higher class where cars have fully upgraded springs and adjustable dampers. But the rules in your area may be different. We are only allowed to use the "crash bolts" sold at Honda dealers that are designed to fix the camber of an Insight if it has experienced a minor crash. These only change the camber by 1 degree at the most.

I recommend taking a 1 or 2 day collision avoidance or advanced performance driving course in your local area. You will be surprised how much you will learn and improve your driving technique in only 1 day.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all due respect & no offence inteneded, I have been circuit racing & in cars & karts for 17 years now with great success, so I am sure I am capable of driving the Insight.

I don't suppose you have a part no for the crash bolts? 1 deg is all I am after really. All my regs state is that the car must be road legal.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Mark, when I saw the serious rubber Guillermo used and experienced the grip he finessed when cornering, I had a tire envy attack, even though I drive like an old geezer and wouldn't know what to do with them. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last race car I tested had grip levels FAR in excess of anything I have ever driven before, just goes to show what downforce will do, 3g cornering REALLY hurts after 25 laps.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mark,
No worries, the odds that lack of driver skill was the main issue was 99.99% :oops:
I'm glad you are among the 0.01% drivers that have lots of racing experience 8)

I'll look for the part number of the crash bolts tonight (since i'm at work right now).
A mild racing alignment with max negative camber and 1/8" toe out in the front will help with the handling of the Insight. Like you know in motorsports Tires are always the most significant factor.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guillermo said:
Mark,
No worries, the odds that lack of driver skill was the main issue was 99.99% :oops:
Thanks, I even raced for the Williams F1 teams karting team for 5 years.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
I don't suppose you have a part no for the crash bolts? 1 deg is all I am after really.
P.g. 18-5 of the FSM PN 90117-S3Y-9000, but the range of adjustment will only be +- 1.0 deg camber (2 bolts per side required for the full degree 1 per side for .5 degree). Replace the standard upper knuckle-to-strut bolt with this thiner one to allow for .5 deg adjustment, both for up to 1 deg.

Rear camber has no such adjustment available.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks John for posting the part numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that, I'll get a price from my dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There are always "ways". But if caster is out of spec then something is bent / broken, replacement is indicated.

AFAIK there are no aftermarket caster adjusters available for the Insight. That does not mean that one out there for another make and model won't fit or couldn't be relatively easily modified, but there is no documentation of such.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Index #18 in that pic is the bolt location that will allow camber change by allowing the knuckle position to be adjusted (the bolt shaft is smaller).

However _ordering_ that part as shown will likely get you the stock non modified bolt without any adjustment possible.

The PN I gave eariler is straight out of the FSM.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So is it literally a smallet dia bolt, effectively a clearance hole, as opposed to one with an eccentric setion to give the camber change.

If this is the case I'll look into getting a camber kit imported.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts