Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the front brakes on my Insight last weekend. Local dealer wanted $169 + parts cost to change the brakes. Cost me $31 (including brake fluid to replace that which dripped out) and about 1.5 hrs. I only have 48,000 on my insight . . . was sort of surprised the brakes needed changing (considering how light the car is, plus the regenerative braking). The pads that Honda puts on stock are the cheapest-looking ever seen. Also, the wear indicator is decieving . . when your brakes start squealing you probaly have another 15-20K left of pad. I would say that my pads were about half worn down when they began to squeal. Just FYI.
Greg
'00 Silver 5185

·
Registered
320 Posts
Brake life depends on how hard you press the brakes and how many times you press the brakes. City driving quickly wears down brakes. If you do a lot of in-town driving, 48,000 miles isn't particularly bad.

Meanwhile, the reason you get a warning so early on the pads is that, as you state, the pads cost you less than $31. Try pricing rotors. You REALLY don't want to let the pads wear out so that the backing to the pads grinds away the rotors. This is the voice of experience talking here. I had to replace the rotors in my Volkswagen Rabbit because their pads didn't warn me in time.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Will M said:
This is the voice of experience talking here. I had to replace the rotors in my Volkswagen Rabbit because their pads didn't warn me in time.
You don't regularily inspect your brakes? ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't and I am 36.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts