Honda Insight Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Front End Damage--Part/sell Feeler

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  PeakOilExists 
#1 ·
2001 Silver 5 speed

I need to tell the insurance folks tomorrow (Thursday) if I would like to buy back my car or not. IMO, it is far from what I picture as "totaled", but I guess they don't get it.

I'm posting this to see if there is interest in a front-end damaged vehicle or if there is enough demand for parts for me to go through the hassle of parting. Body panels are in used condition--I didn't the beat the car up, but I sure didn't baby it, either. It has been my daily transportation for the last 5 years and 90k miles.

There are 153k miles on the car, original battery pack. Two new tires 2 months ago, two new tires 6 months ago. If someone thinks s/he might be interested in the car, I can take many more pictures. The link below is to the crash pictures-- if you're looking for damage, this is the most conservative look you will get--in person, it doesn't look half so bad. I'm pretty bummed....but I need to be thinking about this right now. If anyone has any thoughts on the demand for parts, please let me know that also. Thank you.

#2 ·
The link didn't come through, but why don't you fix the car? All states have methods to get a "rebuilt salvage" title.

That's what I did. Some states allow used airbags, some don't. I've got a set if you need them. Take a look at the bottom of my DIY page for before pictures of Green Machine (back when it was a blue wreck). I put $3000 into it, but $1500 of that was brand new airbags. For example, a bumper cover is only $125 new. car-part.com can help you find parts.

What do you give up? You lose some resale value (like you care). You lose your 150,000 mile battery warranty (you're already over it) and your 80,000 mile warranties.

In the eyes of the law, the car has been rebuilt to safe and useable condition - just like it was before the accident. I've even got full collision and comprehensive coverage from GEICO.

If your airbags went off, you'll need bags, the bag computer (I paid $50), the clockspring ($40 new), and a pair of seatbelts (I paid $150 from a junkyard). Fenders go for about $75 and the bumper bar is about the same.

#3 ·
The link below is to the crash pictures
No link. Moving on though, terribly sorry to hear about the Insight. Hope everybody in the car came out OK. What are your plans for a replacement?

As for parting out, what kind of storage space do you have? Personally, I'd definitely lobby for parting it out. There have to be many parts that people might like to buy. For example, what condition is your oil pan in? Specifically, the threads on the drain plug? I might be interested in that. Also, what condition is the passenger side rear wheel skirt?

As our cars get older, the parts are going to be harder and harder to get. There is a thread right now about a guy who needs a 2000-2003 driver's side floor mat, but Honda doesn't make them any more. I hope you and I, and everybody else starts seeing our used parts as very valuable.

Thanks and good luck,
Bryan

#5 ·
Holy cow-- I'm a teacher and it's the last week of school. I've been exhausted--sorry for flaking on the link.

accident pictures by hazetguy2 - Photobucket

There are a few parts to this story... my husband is a vintage VW mechanic and all he has ever driven are split-window buses. I have an Insight, which I have been rabid about not wanting to give up. However, when looking at the (50+ year old) buses and at our finances, we figured we'd had to sell something when kids came along (car seat and three people and what not)...we simply can't keep the Insight AND buy another car. And then there was the accident, so this whole timeline is accelerated.

The adjuster estimated about $4k to fix it. I have no idea, really--I'm no good at estimating that kind of thing, and it hasn't been to a body shop (dealer doesn't do collision).

We have "room" (some?) for parting a vehicle, but it's mostly full of --- you got it: parted VW buses. So we do have experience with that, and we also know it's a pain. In the VW world, we exchange big parts at shows, not sure about with Insights. Do folks to pay for shipping of big parts?

#6 ·
We have "room" (some?) for parting a vehicle, but it's mostly full of --- you got it: parted VW buses. So we do have experience with that, and we also know it's a pain. In the VW world, we exchange big parts at shows, not sure about with Insights. Do folks to pay for shipping of big parts?
Kindred souls. I used to drive VWs (I might go back if they ever actually make the 1 Liter Car). I drove a '78 Bus and an '84 diesel Rabbit. Is your husband on VWvortex? There is a HUGE VW owner base there who are constantly buying/selling parts. On the VWVortex site, the way it works typically is that somebody lists what they have for sale. The two parties come to an agreement on price with the understanding that the buyer pays s/h. Money is usually transferred by Paypal and then the seller boxes up the purchased item and ships it. I would assume that any parting out of your Insight would follow a similar process.

-Bryan

#9 ·
Keep us posted on if you plan on parting the vehicle out or not. I'd be interested in the under engine plastics if they are still useable.

Thanks,
Mark

#11 ·
Please start your car if it can be run and let it idle for 30 minutes before you go on vacation. It will help preserve the life of your battery. When you come back, do it again BEFORE YOU DRIVE THE CAR.

If your car cannot be started, then please turn off your battery breaker so the body shop can't use your battery and then turn it back on and idle it at the earliest possible opportunity BEFORE YOU DRIVE THE CAR. You want to charge the battery before you discharge it.

Otherwise, you'll be considering my services sooner than you otherwise would need to.

#14 ·
Hi all,
Thanks for your advice and input. I am happy (or sorry, depending on the day) to say that I was offered a good price for the car as a whole and it is gone.

Tim, in light of this information, you will happy to know that the back hatch carpet was once got in the way of some crayons that were in the process of melting and has battle scars. ;)

Thanks again to everyone, and sorry to those looking for parts! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.