Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much the front rotors on the insight weigh?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have several sets of front Insight rotors in my garage, I could weight one tomorrow.
Why do you ask?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to put my Insight on a diet :D

I've found a source of some quality low weight 1 and 2 piece rotors. I'm trying to findout if the weight loss in the aftermarket rotors in worth the price.

I'm sure you know that rotating weight has more of an impact than static weight, so what better place to lose some weight than the rotors... espessialy since using DWB means I hardly (if ever use the brakes)

I'd really appreciate you weighing them. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given mikes quote of 7.5 pounds, it would be roughly around a pound drop per rotor with the 1-piece. The two piece would be another half pound drop.

I was hoping the stock rotors were closer to 10 pounds. Not worth the price IMO. :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My brembo black rotors that fit the insight (same as 1984-1987 CRX Si rotors) weigh 8 lbs, I just weighed them.

I you want to save weight on your car the rear hatch is a good candidate. If You want to be convinced remove the gas springs in the rear hatch then try to lift the hatch ;)
Making a carbon fiber or even a fiberglass hatch with 2 simple lexan rear windows can you save you significant weight. Just keep in mind the heavy and strong rear hatch is part of the safety structure for impact protection during a severe collision.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Going on a diet and losing a few lbs is probably the healthiest and safest way to reduce weight in Insight. It's obvious Honda looked at everything in terms of weight reduction during the development of the Insight.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was thinking the same thing! Unfortunately at 150lbs he doesn't have much to give.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep.. Losing more weight personally isn't going to happen. I'm already "underweight" as it is.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
A huge weight savings can be achieved by keeping the tank 1/2 filled or less. I think it's 8.xx lbs per gallon (correct me if I'm wrong) My tank average always goes up on the last 4 gallons, but personally I do prefer the twice per month fill ups. I'd bet with your set up and 3 gallons of gas, you'd get pretty far.
Wayne

·
Registered
240 Posts
1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs. (depending on the temperature when you weigh the gas). At least that's what the innernet tells me. I haven't actually weighed it myself

1 - 12 of 12 Posts