Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2005 Insight CVT. I bought the car after researching it and other hybrids for over a year. I love the car, it's a blast to drive and the mpg is great.

What isn't great is what many of you have pointed out for quite some time: the sound quality of the front speakers. I had better sounding speakers in my first car, a Renault 10. I've looked at the section on speaker replacement here on this site and I'm having difficulty finding any of the drop-in replacement speakers that owners have tried successfully. For example, the Pioneer ts-605 which is listed appears to be discontinued. I've been able to locate several current model 6.5" speakers, but I'm uncertain as to the depth of the stock speakers. I'm not trying for concert hall clarity, but anything's got to be better than these pathetic excuses for sound. Any help is much appreciated.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crutchfield Infinity reference 6012si speakers

Thanks for the lead Don. I just called and ordered the above speakers. This is the current model of what you suggested. I was assured it would fit in just fine. Thanks again.

Don Durand

2005 CVT

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just put new Pioneer Premier TS-D601P in the doors and rear deck.

Doors required some dremeling of the plastic in the speaker well, and removing some of the honeycomb in the factory door grill. Looks TOTALLY stock.

Rear deck right side was a tight squeeze, but they fit!
Mounting Depth 2-5/16" (59mm), not bad for a power hungry 6.5" I would definitly have an amp if your deck doesn't put out at least 50w a channel!

SOUNDS INCREDIBLE with my matching Pioneer Premier GM-6150F amplifier!

I use the Pioneer Premier DEH-P460MP Headunit, with all monster wiring... I am pretty impressed... now my hours on end long commutes are rather pleasant! :twisted:

·
Registered
130 Posts
That sounds like a really really nice setup Subterfuge! Good choice springing for the Monster Cable.

I recently sprung for a Premiere DEH-P8MP, and some Alpine 6.5" component speakers for my 4runner (which will hopefully soon be transfered into an Insight as soon as I can track one down!)

Also have an old sub setup (Fosgate 500W 2chan amp, w/ 2 10" Fosgate Punch Premium Subs in a sealed box) it sounds pretty good for a 5+ year old setup. Too bad I won't be able to bring that box with me into the Insight!

·
Registered
147 Posts
It does sound pretty sweet. not too much draw on the DC/DC either, less then 35 amp peak, with 9 amp avg! I was almost wondering if a bazooka powered sub would do well. The ones that look like NOS canisters. Put it between the seats, mounted to the back wall... Just a thought. My 4 6.5's put out plenty of bass for my taste... I listen to mostly heavy metal, but my wifes hip hop sounds pretty darn good as well! I don't think you need a sub, but one of those NOS bazooka's would be nice if thats what your into! :roll:

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi bfivelover,

These are the speakers that I installed in my Insight, they fit with very minor trimming.

I was not saying that Crutchfield listed this speakers as a fit for our cars, just that they worked for me.

Regards,

·
Registered
569 Posts
hawkGT647 said:
Hi bfivelover,

These are the speakers that I installed in my Insight, they fit with very minor trimming.

I was not saying that Crutchfield listed this speakers as a fit for our cars, just that they worked for me.

Regards,
Sorry, I misunderstood.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ya, don't buy mine if you don't want to trim/mod... but my sound is EXCELLENT! :twisted:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have personally heard some pretty bad things about bazooka subs. I suppose using their NOS housing would be fine with a good speaker and remote Amp, I have just heard really bad things about bazooka components, they don't last very long, their subs don't sound very good, etc.

If I wanted a sub I would probably custom build a box out of 3/4" "ply-lam" (laminate plywood) and wire it up myself. Something that would fit in the storage box without taking up the whole thing! (Just don't put any soda bottles/cans in there with the sub!!!)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I mainly just like the idea of a NOS enclosure! and a custom trunk box/sub/amp will always sound better!

Problem with the storage box area is the spare tire! I was thinking... you could add a second 10 gallon tank in the space of the spare tire though :twisted:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I was also thinking about possibly trying to mount the spare vertically in that space somehow and then making a new custom "cargo box" to carpet the rearranged configuration. I really only thought about it a little when I first inspected the tire & area under the stock "cargo box" but it seemed to me that you might be able to increase the total volume of the space by moving the tire around a little, or even just getting a nice cover for the tire and letting it sit up on the cargo deck (strapped or bolted down of course). We rarely use much of the main cargo deck area anyway, having more "hidden" cargo space would be nice considering we usually are just carrying our backpacks (with laptops) and whatever we picked up at BestBuy! ;) Let the potential car theif see the spare tire, and NOT see all my stuff in the cargo box!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts