Honda Insight Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,950 Posts
Before in started having springs made I tried a set of different springs that I think were from a Corolla. I don’t know what the spring rate was on those springs. The longer, heavy rate springs raised the front of my car approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches and forced all kinds of crazy positive camber. The springs gave the Insight a look of a low ride Impala with the hydraulics in the front way up.

The 250lb springs you have acquired are about 100lb more spring rate than what I have manufactured.

Scott

·
Registered
2000 MT
134 Posts
That's about what I was thinking. There is a lighter spring made. I thought your springs are about 130ish pounds.

Based on the rate with the overall length I'm guessing it will be about 1.5 inches (2 is possible) with the stock engine and around 1 with the k24 swap. I already have uncut rear springs installed so the car does have a bit of rake already. A level ride height would be awesome.

Makes me wonder if S2000 lowering springs would be a decent drop in. Kinda makes sense seeing how they do be share a bunch of design elements and assembly line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice find. I'm halfway into the Corolla fronts, they're cut to only gain an inch with stock weight (less so with my K24 swap) as listed at the beginning of this thread but not yet ground flat. Rate should be 200# give or take and no front sway bar. This will be a daily, not tracked.

Keep in mind that most lowering springs decrease the radius of the coil to increase the rate. If it's tight now I don't think it will clear the perch if it's reduced further.

Fair warning, I bought new front bumpstops from Honda and they had to be special ordered, took over two weeks.

Mak

Reactions: Ecky

·
Registered
2000 MT
134 Posts
I've got to 2 bearing parts on back order and a few parts on special order to rebuild everything up front less springs and shocks. I will be as well opting to omit the sway bar. Daily duty as well so definitely not exactly looking for a track oriented suspension. Not to mention pittsburgh has some gnarly pot holes. I'm hoping to not cut anything. I'll start with the S2000 springs and if they are too much get the lighter ones or go with scotts springs until the swap has been completed.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
It's been a long time since I did this, but you might want to try searching for something like 2006-2009 Civic lowering springs. Or maybe not. They're not perfect, and it depends on the usage whether they work or not. I bought some, I think it's been at least 5 years now that I've been using them.

One problem is that you need either two lefts or two rights, I think the Insight has a left and right spring, whereas the Civics of these years left and right are the same (or vice versa). The upper spring doesn't seat perfectly well. They're heavy. They don't leave a lot of spring travel, maybe 1 1/2 inches total. I have cut Miata NA springs at rear, no anti-sway bar at front. Can't remember what the rate is on these Civic springs, they're progressive, too. It's up there, above 200 as I recall...

Here's an image of the stock front (left) and one of these Civic lowering springs, modded - I grinded the top flatter:

In any event, they ride and handle well. I recall I thought the handling was like night and day better when I first installed them. But it's been so long that I don't recall what the stock Insight is like.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Rather that create a new post maybe you guy can help sum up a few things for my particular car..... 2001 Kswapped commuter, my car is very quiet and powerful, has a rather large sound system about the same weight at the IMA gear that came out. currently running massive 185/55/16s on heavy OEM wheels, will be downsizing to 185/55/15 next year...... I'd like to keep the ride height stock, looking to make the potholes and rough roads more bearable as well as be stable at very high speeds (rare but capable).... On hand I have one set of brand new front struts but don't necessarily have to use them ... so yeah, what springs should I use?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
^ Maybe check out a couple of the k-swap threads, see what springs/rates people are using who've done that mod? Ecky's done that, as I recall... Maybe someone will chime-in. Other than that, I'd be thinking of the Ground Control setup so I could adjust ride height at-will and pick whatever spring rates work best. And with those they're standard sized springs with a ton of them around, so you can always find alternatives at decent prices. The initial setup is kind of pricey, though, if they even still sell it*...

*edit: apparently they still do: Coilover Conversion Kit - 2000-2006 Honda Insight

But, ouch, $539? These things used to be something like $400...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Right now Mike Lewin of Professional Awesome is working on a custom set of coilovers made by Fortune, that will bolt on without any cutting. They're for those of us running Civic or RSX knuckles.

Right now I have Scott's stiffer front springs on my car. With a K24 it sits around 3/4" below stock ride height, and it's harsh, probably from lack of suspension travel, and hitting the bump stops.

·
Registered
2000 MT
134 Posts
Rather that create a new post maybe you guy can help sum up a few things for my particular car..... 2001 Kswapped commuter, my car is very quiet and powerful, has a rather large sound system about the same weight at the IMA gear that came out. currently running massive 185/55/16s on heavy OEM wheels, will be downsizing to 185/55/15 next year...... I'd like to keep the ride height stock, looking to make the potholes and rough roads more bearable as well as be stable at very high speeds (rare but capable).... On hand I have one set of brand new front struts but don't necessarily have to use them ... so yeah, what springs should I use?
So what is the front axle weight? If you have that and what shocks you are using then with posts on the first page you can extrapolate where you want your ride height and can gauge a spring rate from there. Personally going for a ~250 lb spring in the front. Within the relm of oem rate.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
So what is the front axle weight? If you have that and what shocks you are using then with posts on the first page you can extrapolate where you want your ride height and can gauge a spring rate from there. Personally going for a ~250 lb spring in the front. Within the relm of oem rate.
I'd wager is around 675lbs over each of the front wheels, give or take.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts