Honda Insight Forum banner

Front strut upper mount replacement?

691 18
Hello everyone,

I am at the point where I am about to change out the front springs on my 2000 insight. Looks like a decent amount of work. Recieved the parts from Killer3Cylinder and came to the conclusion of possibly replacing another part, an upper mount for the strut.
As of now, I will change tie rod boots, the bottom out rubbers for the struts (recommended by killer), the springs, and this top rubber mount possibly. Currently, mine is all cracked as you can see below.
Anyone know a part number? Do I just replace the rubber or don't worry about it???

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive battery Car

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Hat Automotive wheel system

Thanks everyone! Happy Fall!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would not do front struts without replacing the mounts. Along with being an avid DIYer, I worked in a shop for a few years and we always did mounts unless customer signed off no warranty for future problems related to not changing them. The couple times we didn't change them, customer was always back within two weeks complaining about clunks and noises.

·
Registered
402 Posts
@Bull Dog

What do you think of Camber strut mounts?

The alignment shop had trouble with the camber on one side of our vehicle so they replaced the 19 mm bolts with camber bolts.

Now I'm wondering if I should have replaced the strut mount when I did the strut and springs and if it would have been a good idea to upgrade to a camber mount.

·
Registered
105 Posts
edit: Immediately after typing this, I saw this thread ZE1 Front shock top mounts
Probably some of what I said was covered there already.

Those look very nice. For anyone considering them, it is worth mentioning that the original top cap (picture 1) that isolates the spring from the upper mount appears incompatible. An aftermarket top cap (picture 2) with the appropriate contour and diameter to mate with the lower surface of the spherical bearing appears to be the solution.
Once that is sourced, a bearing to allow the steering knuckle to turn independent of the upper mount without creating significant friction/wear is next. This can be integrated into the top cap. (pictures 3 and 4)
This will assist the spherical bearing in the upper mount and extend its life (especially in a street car which will see most likely tens of thousands of miles before this stuff is torn down and inspected). Personally i'd probably just stick with the camber bolts as they are a very simple and low maintenance solution. I like the stock upper mounts for that reason as well.

Automotive tire Coil spring Coil Gas Machine

Joint Human body Font Gesture Elbow

Gas Automotive wheel system Button Circle Audio equipment

Gas Composite material Terrestrial plant Metal Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Gen 1 MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I made the mistake of shooting off the strut main bolt first thing today. Honest mistake with the impact gun. I stopped working because I am not sure what to do. The center 17mm is the bolt I am talking about.

What should I do going forward?

Hood Motor vehicle Car Gas Auto part

Notice the bolt sitting low...
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Wood

I like to make things more of a challenge...

Thanks for all the info above. Good stuff!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Might be able to use the vehicle's weight to overcome the spring and get the top of the strut shaft back through the hole. Assuming it's on jackstands, I would remove them and carefully lower the vehicle with the floor jack and make sure the threads on the shaft don't get damaged on their way back through. Once the full weight of the vehicle is back on the ground, re install the nut.

·
Registered
2000 MT
210 Posts
Okay, I was the one who helped compbrake design the upper hats. I have them installed and yes you can make them work with the OEM upper spring perches. They are nicely made. Driving on them for a little while now and seem to be so far quiet and hold adjustment. Camber can be adjusted and the design allows for caster adjustment as well. The upper shock tower hole doesn't allow adjustment while bolted to the car. They offer stiffening plates to reinforce the tower top and allow the hole to be enlarged to accommodate the adjustment bolts. That being said would I recommend for a street vehicle? Eh, yes and no. It's a motorsport product, it should be better sealed for street use to extend life. I have an extra oem set of uppers new in box I used to develop these if someone needs it.

·
Registered
2000 Gen 1 MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately through my testing with the new springs my abs light keeps coming on. With the blink codes I get the front passenger abs sensor. Took it off today and seems fine. So I looked the part up and come up with a $170+ sensor. Not sure how I broke it, came off easy and simple set it out of the way.... Oh well...
Anyone try a Accord, Civic, etc. abs sensor? 1998 accord abs is $20 new. I don't mind rewiring the sensor if need be. But ouch...

Thanks everyone! Springs make such a difference!!!!

·
Registered
2000 Gen 1 MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I took off the abs sensor that was acting up and found while I wiggled it around I would lose continuity. So I Cut out the old wire and put two new wires in and wrapped them up with electrical tape. A few zip ties for install and No abs light, and no codes. It'll be nice to have abs for this winter.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts