Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vin# JHMZE1350YT002605
I just wanted to get this post rolling, so that Insighters can have a ton of advance notice on this unique and (restorable, just 2 repairs needed) and low miles (is 136k low miles these days??) I never drove it, and it passed VA state Insp every year until I stopped driving it.

I am an open book. PM me if you want my # for a call.
Photos are coming (I have to figure out how to vacuum glass first)
Car runs -- may be driveable home, but there is no hatch glass.
I need to sell ASAP, because, it's under a tarp now.
  • Asking Price --- $1800
  • Year -- 2000
  • Color -- Silver
  • Transmission (5spd)
  • Current Mileage (136k)
  • Location -- Virginia, zipcode 23930
  • High Voltage Battery Age/Condition -- I installed a Grid Charger back in 2012 when I bough the car. was said to have been replaced 1 time under the origin warranty, about 9 years ago, and fewer than 10 or 15k miles of driving. Vin # avail if someone wants to check with Honda. IMA lights are on from sitting, but a code reset and regular driving
  • Transmission Condition -- Good Clutch, and pretty nice gears (for an Insight)
  • Engine or IMA Codes Showing --- IMA from sitting, and or some type of EGR miss
  • Interior Condition Summary -- Restored -- nice -- but needs cleaning!)
  • Exterior Condition Summary --- Really nice, but needs back glass -- yes the whole hatch!
Pictures of the car being offered are highly recommended.
Coming soon.

The background:
I was inspired and wanted to give a shout out to Sylvie's post on the love of here Silver 2001 (posted elsewhere on Gen 1 forum) .
I am in a much stranger but similar boat!

Location is 60 miles SW of Richmond VA.
Getting over my broken heart (see "sucky" below) , and some cleaning are required before I put on photos. But if there are serious buyers near me, I can get photos quickly up to facilitate a deal...

Back in 2012 I stumbled upon this 2000 Silver 5spd 1st Gen, with only 135k miles. It was a mint car, with added Cruise Control, and a reupholstered faux leather interior (replacing the old Gen 1 fabric). It even has a custom console made from the original. At the time, this was the nicest Gen 1, I had ever seen.

Photos coming in a week or so, which will sync with my eBay post. I have always loved these cars, and have been a forum member since 2011 when I bough my first 1st gen. I wanted to give forum members a shot a very solid original car that needs a major, but very straghtforward repair!

The good:
Silver, nice paint. Hood was resprayed by 1st owner with perfect match to fix stone nicks (pro, you can't see it).
Car has tons of records, as 1st owner was a religious maintainer at local dealer ship.
Sythentic fluids, and any little niggle got fixed. thousands in receipts in the glovebox.
Last straw with owner was a dealer quote of $4400 to fix the IMA, I bought it in distress, and fixed it up with a ground strap!
Car starts, drives, has nice new headlight lenses and even cold A/C.
It has aftermarket cruise control, and a good-working Grid Charger, that will likely fix the frumpy IMA up if it gets regularly driven.
Tight clutch, and 5spd 2nd gear is really good (no syncro probs) as I recall.
It's a low miles car for it's age, and very well maintained, no thanks to me, I just did not use it enough to require even one oil change!!
I then drive it 1000 miles, and had a baby.
Recent parts:
OEM Headlight lenses, drive and pass (nice!)
Windshield
Side Window (was replaced with oem)

The bad:
I am 2nd owner, and I have driven the car so infrequently, the gas got old, which I patially fixed, but the car has developed the common rough-idle issue, which I thing is just the EGR or the old gas.
Tires are old, but drive-able home.

The really sucky:
My last straw: I was going to put this still, very nice, low miles original (5spd + lean burn) car on eBay motors -- looking to get a really good price as it was clean, unique and well cared for with receipts. I stupidly parked my car under a Walnut tree a few days ago -- and a large, green seed nut fell from 3 stories high onto the rear glass! Totally shattered the rear hatch ... what do I do? So sad I have not even snapped photos yet, but I will soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,222 Posts
Comprehensive insurance will cover this.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
8,684 Posts
I have a silver hatch in Richmond. I have sent you a "conversation." Click on your avatar at top right. You will see the "conversations" tab there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a rear hatch in Silver with intact glass, but am in NJ.
That's really good to know. It would probably be an easy swap too. I hope I can rehome it however -- because of lack of time -- not a bachelor any longer! Thanks for the comment, hope all see it in relation to my post (and I need to put up pics!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Image may contain: car, tree and outdoor
Image may contain: text that says 'EPS BRAKE 1000 /min 2 1 mph MAINT REO'D AL STOP CHRG ASST 54.2m 54. mpg 13 1258 0 50 100 150 UP PUSH CANCEL DOWN FCD BAT E'
Image may contain: car and outdoor

Dropping price to $1600 to rehome this car.
Only 131,000ish. I put under 1000 miles on it since 2012!
Glovebox FULL of regular maintenance papers.
Adult owned, but it's dirty from sitting.
Has grid charger installed. IMA grumpy from sitting, but has always rehabed itself after a bit of driving.
Needs cleaning, tires and a rear hatch glass.
Yes, it runs, but idle is rough on warm up (old gas and EGR I am guessing).
Interior after cleanining is wonderful! Owner got rid of the Honda fabric and professionally reupholstered with vinyl and leather material!
Cash / pickup, 60 miles SW of Richmond, VA.
Se above post for more history / details.
Photo is circa 2012, but car is mostly in the same shape, excepting the obvious notes above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am in MD hope it’s ina garage how much do you want for it?
I missed your reply. Has been carefully stored under heavy duty tarp.
It needs a new home ASAP.
Price dropped to 1800, and I just posted it to Facebook locally, so it should sell quickly
(heck, a running car -- you can't get them these days for under 2k anyway ... strange times).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Image may contain: text that says 'EPS BRAKE 1000 /min 2 1 mph MAINT REO'D AL STOP CHRG ASST 54.2m 54. mpg 13 1258 0 50 100 150 UP PUSH CANCEL DOWN FCD BAT E''EPS BRAKE 1000 /min 2 1 mph MAINT REO'D AL STOP CHRG ASST 54.2m 54. mpg 13 1258 0 50 100 150 UP PUSH CANCEL DOWN FCD BAT E'
Image may contain: car and outdoor
View attachment 88898

Dropping price to $1600 to rehome this car.
Only 131,000ish. I put under 1000 miles on it since 2012!
Glovebox FULL of regular maintenance papers.
Adult owned, but it's dirty from sitting.
Has grid charger installed. IMA grumpy from sitting, but has always rehabed itself after a bit of driving.
Needs cleaning, tires and a rear hatch glass.
Yes, it runs, but idle is rough on warm up (old gas and EGR I am guessing).
Interior after cleanining is wonderful! Owner got rid of the Honda fabric and professionally reupholstered with vinyl and leather material!
Cash / pickup, 60 miles SW of Richmond, VA.
Se above post for more history / details.
Photo is circa 2012, but car is mostly in the same shape, excepting the obvious notes above.
Price Drop to $1600.
Added photos of car taken today, 1/13/21
As of today, car starts and runs ok, except at idle, which is surging a bit (probably EGR).
Needs rear Glass.
Gave the IMA battery a top off from the Plug in charger I have installed. It took a charge.
NO IMA light at this time, but does come and go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts