Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About time I made an official post on this.
Circuit component Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument Electronic instrument

For North America, I make and sell the MCM switchable Current Hack board the MCM. If you are in the UK, Please contact Peter @retepsnikrep for one.

Note: If you are planning on installing the Current Hack on a car with a "standard" NiMH pack, you will need either a 500 Ohm resistor (20%) or a 240 Ohm resistor (40%) for the BCM. If you need one or both of these please let me know.

The Current Hack board is $45 shipped.

Fluid Electric blue Font Rectangle Fashion accessory

I also have a number of Littlefuse L50S 150 Amp Fuses available. It is necessary to upgrade the stock 100 Amp fuse if you are planning on using the Current Hack.

Note: Minor modification to the junction board is required to accommodate the larger body of the fuse.

The fuses are $35 if shipped with a Current Hack, or $40 shipped standalone.

If you are interested in one or both, please send me a PM. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
I would like to post saying I got the 40% hack from BullDog today and it's amazing! It completely transformed getting up to freeway speeds on the on-ramp, as well as passing when needed on the freeway. It's also much easier to accelerate around town. It just improves drivability overall.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I think I ordered mine and paid before you posted this! Thanks for offering!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got mine ordered as well but I should have asked about fuses. I ended up paying the same amount for a new L50S 175 off of eBay.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
I'd like to jump on this if it's not too late.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
I'lll take one if you have any left.:)

Send me your Paypal address by conversation.

Jim

·
Linsight Designer
3,606 Posts
Just want to throw in that I recommend all LiBCM customers purchase this AWESOME upgrade. If you're using LiBCM, then you only need the above-mentioned PCB and fuse; LiBCM takes care of the rest in firmware.

@Bull Dog has done an excellent job streamlining the current hack into an elegant PCB. Once installed, the PCB has DIP switches that allow you to select 0/+20/+40/+60% overcurrent hacking). It takes less than a minute for an experienced solderer to put into an MCM... you don't even need to remove the MCM from the car (although you should unplug the cables while soldering).

·
Super Moderator
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your kind words mudder.

Much credit to Peter as well. At one point when we were working together, Peter asked me if I thought we could condense the Current Hack into a single, small circuit board we could solder onto the MCM. Peter gave me the schematic and I took it from there. Also thanks to Peter and Natalya who's feedback helped me fix the solderability issue that the earlier boards had.

I will note that the "60%" setting is not guaranteed to work properly or even at all. This is why I labeled it as XXX on the circuit board.

Mobile phone Netbook Communication Device Material property Portable communications device

If I've sent you a tracking number, your package will be in the mail tomorrow.

Sam and Jim, yes I have more boards and fuses. I'll be in touch. If I come to a point where I run out of boards and/or fuses I will update this thread accordingly.

Thank you again to everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Just want to throw in that I recommend all LiBCM customers purchase this AWESOME upgrade. If you're using LiBCM, then you only need the above-mentioned PCB and fuse; LiBCM takes care of the rest in firmware.

@Bull Dog has done an excellent job streamlining the current hack into an elegant PCB. Once installed, the PCB has DIP switches that allow you to select 0/+20/+40/+60% overcurrent hacking). It takes less than a minute for an experienced solderer to put into an MCM... you don't even need to remove the MCM from the car (although you should unplug the cables while soldering).
Oh how I wish the 60% current hack worked with the current LiBCM setup.

·
Linsight Designer
3,606 Posts
Oh how I wish the 60% current hack worked with the current LiBCM setup.
It never will. LiBCM's hardware can 'only' measure up to 148 amps, so spoofing 160 amps would cause a current mismatch P-code (as long as the OEM MCM is still installed).

Also, without modifying the MCM (to ignore IGBT short circuit signal), it's too unstable anyway. It will probably ultimately kill the IGBTs, too, due to localized die heating

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
It never will. LiBCM's hardware can 'only' measure up to 148 amps, so spoofing 160 amps would cause a current mismatch P-code (as long as the OEM MCM is still installed).

Also, without modifying the MCM (to ignore IGBT short circuit signal), it's too unstable anyway. It will probably ultimately kill the IGBTs, too, due to localized die heating
This really deserves it's own thread.. ;) or to be added to the truly variable current hack thread from nearly ten years ago.

I did manage around 170A using a standard BCM/MCM +60% resistor hack without the FSC mod.
You have to limit (+60% assist) to a certain rpm window 1 or 2k rpm upwards IIRC and drop back to +40% for any regen or assist under the rpm cutoff.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Got mine in the mail today. Thank you Isaac. I've shipped and received a thousand packages, I don't think I've ever seen one that was as well secured/wrapped/insulated/taped as the one Bull Dog sent me.

Now I just need lithium.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts