Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the components and such to assemble a FAS module and then life took over. Don't have the time to work on the Insight anymore. Complete and ready to install. Has a foot or two of 18ga wire leads on each side ready for install.

Info about it can be found here:
http://99mpg.com/mima/thefassystem

Mike sells it for $125 according to his site. First $100 or best gets it.

Ready to ship now.

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Nice buy for someone who needs a FAS board. I have one myself already, but Mike's design is very nice piece of kit. Works just like autostop. Stops engine while furnishing instant restart with gas or gear, and keeps brake boost alive. I'd jump on it if I didn't already have one:)

BTW, Mike doesn't make them any more and I think he is out of stock, but a call would answer that. Mike's support is always valuable.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Would totally pick this up if I didn't have a ton of other things on my list that NEED fixing before stuff like this goes on. And a good price :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I read the link but still don't get what this does other than let the engine cut off at speeds above 19 mph. And I assume it's not for a CVT?

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
I read the link but still don't get what this does other than let the engine cut off at speeds above 19 mph. And I assume it's not for a CVT?
Well, you are correct. That is what it does. But that is an essential function for a hypermiler.

Before you respond that one can do the same with the ignition key, let me say that you can't. If you use the key-off method, the distance traveled while the key is off doesn't accumulate. Therefore your MPG results will suffer significantly, depending on how much you FAS.

But, how many hypermiling nuts are there anyway:D

Does not work on CVT.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You'd have a better chance to sell it on ecomodder

Balto, I thought you already had a Calpod switch on yours. Doesn't this do the same thing?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
You'd have a better chance to sell it on ecomodder

Balto, I thought you already had a Calpod switch on yours. Doesn't this do the same thing?
Nope. All a calpod switch does is disable regen/assist.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Doh, that's right!

Mine will autostop from like 25 mph, which is pretty much perfect since it regens in fifth gear down to about thirty.
Not sure what this would actually accomplish, unless your IMA was bad, but that doesn't seem to make sense either, since if your IMA was disabled you'd have to re-start with the 12V starter.

What am I missing here, people?

*As you can see I'm all about mileage, but I'm just not getting what the benefit is. I'd definitely be interested if I think it will benefit my mileage without killing my IMA

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Pm sent on this also.

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Not sure what this would actually accomplish, unless your IMA was bad, but that doesn't seem to make sense either, since if your IMA was disabled you'd have to re-start with the 12V starter.

What am I missing here, people?

*As you can see I'm all about mileage, but I'm just not getting what the benefit is. I'd definitely be interested if I think it will benefit my mileage without killing my IMA
What you are missing is the ability to stop the engine at speeds higher than 19 MPH, in order to boost fuel economy. Doing so is part of the pulse and glide technique, or simply saving fuel on downhills.

To do so above 19 MPH, you have two choices:
1. Turn the key off and then back on. It takes a few seconds for the engine to starve of fuel and die. All the distance accumulated while the key is off is lost to the odometer because the key is off. That affects you calculated MPG, so the key-off method has a drawback.
2. Shut down the fuel injectors without turning off the key. No accumulated distance is lost. MPG is maximized. That is what this circuit does.

Check this link from the NE Meet:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/hybrid-socials-events/42337-2014-new-england-hybrid-meet-2.html

Permalink 156.

That MPG figure was set with MIMA, FAS circuit, and a fully stuffed new HybridRevolt battery. Experience and practice don't hurt any;)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Well, you are correct. That is what it does. But that is an essential function for a hypermiler.
But then you lose any regen when decelerating. So the net gain in gas mileage seems nil. Plus, don't most cars cut the fuel injectors anyway during throttle off coasting?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Nope. All a calpod switch does is disable regen/assist.
Don't know what a calpod switch is but I put the brake/clutch pedal switch mod in all my cars which does the same thing, except no assist disable in a CVT, and allows full regen.

·
Registered
813 Posts
But then you lose any regen when decelerating. So the net gain in gas mileage seems nil. Plus, don't most cars cut the fuel injectors anyway during throttle off coasting?
Yes, they do, but then you lose momentum to spinning the engine.

FAS is just another tool to use if perhaps you have a long slow incline to descend which spinning the engine would kill speed too quickly

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Yes, you do lose regen while coasting. This is something you have to manage, just like anything else. If your IMA is low and you want to charge it, don't FAS. Otherwise you can coast in neutral, engine off (FAS) for a LONG way. The Insight (RE-92s @ 55 lbs) coasts better than any car I've ever had. I think my record is 8 miles. If you leave it in gear and just let off the gas it slows down. I FAS a LOT, whenever I see a nice downhill stretch. When I had a normal commute there were four places where I FASd every morning, probably for a total of a couple of miles.

It makes a big difference when used correctly.

And don't anybody start with "this is illegal" or "this is not safe". You still have power steering and power brakes. The steering doesn't lock. If the vacuum drops too low for the power brakes the engine restarts by itself and replaces the vacuum. You just need to watch your speed and not coast too fast. You are smart enough not to ride the brakes. I don't know if or where it is illegal. If it is, it would be very hard to catch or prove. It wouldn't be the first time I've done something illegal that didn't hurt anything. :)

Sam

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
This must be more useful in your part of the country with long stretches of downhill roads. Only thing close around here on my frequently traveled roads is I70 between Frederick and Hagerstown MD. Two "mountain passes" at 1,200 feet and about 2 miles downhill each. After the uphill part, it's about a 50/50 chance that the battery will be topped up enough to stop charging.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
It's useful wherever there is a hill. I just got back from the east coast, and there are hills there, too. Two miles is very good! My first FAS of the morning is .2, and the second is .4. I try to manage my battery on uphills, too, so it doesn't get depleted at the top. It's all about your goals, driving style, and knowing your commute. If you'd rather just drive the car and not pay attention to any of this, that's ok, too. FAS is a great tool if you want to use it.

Sam

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's useful wherever there is a hill. I just got back from the east coast, and there are hills there, too. Two miles is very good! My first FAS of the morning is .2, and the second is .4. I try to manage my battery on uphills, too, so it doesn't get depleted at the top. It's all about your goals, driving style, and knowing your commute. If you'd rather just drive the car and not pay attention to any of this, that's ok, too. FAS is a great tool if you want to use it.

Sam
Yep. My commute is through rolling hills. I know a few places where I can FAS and coast for up to 2 miles if the traffic and lights cooperate, but regen/compression from the engine slows me down too much.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Right. You have to be in neutral for it to work for you. Otherwise just regen instead. When I switched Insights, before I installed MIMA in this one, I used the key off method a few times. It was too much of a bother to do unless I had a very long hill.

Sam

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with pulse & glide, my man! I was able to P&G my Festiva to over 60 mpg on my daily commute and got 565 miles on a 9-1/2 gallon tank. The gas savings from driving the Festiva are what paid for the Insight!
Does this require a switch? My wife would probably kill me if I start modding the Turtle, and if you check out pics of the Black Widow ( either Fuelly or Ecomodder) you'll see why!
But if it's some sly hidden mod that would kick in the autostop at like 30 mph without using a switch, I'd be way interested. Just don't know when the IMA would get a chance to charge

*After reading more of the posts, does it just automatically shut down the engine if you're coasting in neutral, no matter what the speed? But it doesn't come into play when shifting? Still a little confused I guess, but it sounds promising

1 - 20 of 28 Posts