Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a brand new, never installed, Plug and Play MIMA kit for sale. This setup included FAS and two assembled joysticks, it also comes with everything else that was included from 99MPG.

I bought it intending to put it in my car but have never gotten around to it and decided its time to let it go. Just last week I set it back to Mike to have the resistor and ground mods done to it, also he included a new low impedance DB 25 cable. In short when you get this you should be good to go to install it and not have any issues.

Price is $1000, insured shipping included. It was $980 shipped from 99MPG, it cost me 25 bucks to ship it back to Mike for the mods and it will cost me 25 bucks to ship it to you.

I accept postal money order or personal check with delay to clear, I will not ship until Mike of 99mpg has comfirmed you sent in the required liablity waivers to him so make sure to read up on that before contacting me.

http://99mpg.com/mima/buymima/

MIMA is sold!

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, insight modding isn't cheap. I have 2K in a better battery, in general custom electronics are not cheap. The grid charger with the required harness was another 800 bucks and I don't think that was shipped.

As for the new MIMA you can wait but just be aware I got my grid charger 6 months after Mike projected they would be done. He is a brilliant guy but he is way too optimistic with his time estimates. Also there is nothing saying the first batch of Gen 2 MIMAs will be problem free, case in point this MIMA which was an established design needed to go back for a bug fix.

Whoa.. never knew MIMA cost $1k. Always knew I'd buy one but once I got my OBDIIC&C, MAXIMA battery, and saw they were planning on MIMA 2, I figured I would hold out.

Bump

GLWS! :)

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
More like a cable problem than a bug, but I do tend to bite off a lot. My optimism comes from a lifetime of successful projects, but in the past I only had one customer project at a time.

The problem I am having now is too many projects and not enough time.
Try building 200 MIMA systems and 160 grid chagers and fielding 5-15 calls a day and as many e-mails while trying to get something done on the projects.
Labview Data logger, SOC reset,
MIMA II , Lithium pack design and construction, BMS for a 50 cell Lithium pack, which can also be used as a NIMH real time subpack monitor, EV insight with Prius drive, Solar demo trailer, and the list just keeps on going.

I guess I could just retire properly and just go back to working on the fun stuff that I want to do for me?

·
New to the party
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,

I genuinely meant no disrespect, you are a huge asset to the community. I was merely pointing out to Element that with cutting edge custom electronics (and not just yours) sometimes a bird in the hand beats two in the bush and that none of it will ever be cheap.

Also I truly hope you do have fun doing this kind of stuff because if you don't you are right that isn't much of a retirement.

Again, I am sorry if it seemed like I wasn't grateful for your contributions.

More like a cable problem than a bug, but I do tend to bite off a lot. My optimism comes from a lifetime of successful projects, but in the past I only had one customer project at a time.

The problem I am having now is too many projects and not enough time.
Try building 200 MIMA systems and 160 grid chagers and fielding 5-15 calls a day and as many e-mails while trying to get something done on the projects.
Labview Data logger, SOC reset,
MIMA II , Lithium pack design and construction, BMS for a 50 cell Lithium pack, which can also be used as a NIMH real time subpack monitor, EV insight with Prius drive, Solar demo trailer, and the list just keeps on going.

I guess I could just retire properly and just go back to working on the fun stuff that I want to do for me?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Not a problem Matt, I understand completely, I know I am way to optimistic about getting stuff done, have always been that way.
When I was a consultant, my clients would compensate by doubling whatever my time estimate was, and then they would be pretty close.

I usually get it done eventually, but this grid charger stuff, is getting to be too much to keep up with, and I am getting prepared to get some quotes from some local job shops to build the harnesses and then the chargers them self.
Not making much money at all.
I bet Jeff has a bigger profit on his dumb charger than we have on the GCO1.
I also bet that my cost to have a job shop built them will require a price increase, and leave nothing for us, for all the support, final test, and shipping, so this may be the last run, not because there is no demand, but because I have no time, and am not being well compensated for my time. Most of the profits pay my helper Dan, and we treat ourselfs to a nice lunch every day.
You guys can count on another 80 chargers, and then we will be faced with committing to another build, and I may decide against it so that I can have some much needed time for the many other projects I really want to do, and can't seen to get to.
It is 8:30PM, and I think I will quit early tonight .

·
Administrator
11,189 Posts
Your ultimate charger discharger is a great tool, getting someone else to make it is a good idea, you should ramp up the price accordingly. I see it as more of a shop tool or a well heeled enthuiast tool rather than a general product. You should not price it to make it generally affordable at the cost of your profit margin etc. People who can't afford it's true cost can build a $100 dumb charger.

There is a good living to be had churning the dumb chargers out now we have the led drivers if someone takes up the gauntlet.

I don't build much for others at all, I farm it out to the buyer or someone like Eli who can make it part of their insight business. Perhaps there is an Insight enthusiast who might want to take on the building on the forum. Eli, Matt, Rush? Just names picked out of the air.

I try to keep as much time as possible for my own projects and R&D.
If I built anything research would never get done and there is a lot of that to do.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The price is already a tough nut for many people, with the price of gas so high, the option of just making the car a non hybrid is what many people are doing.
I never was into building MIMA or the charger as a big profit project, and am doing it so the community of early adapters of hybrid technology can get the maximum return in their investment and bets MPG.
The problem is mainly that nearly all my time is being sucked into supporting testing and building the chargers, The lack of R&D time is my biggest problem, as I do want to get MIMA II, Labview,and the many other projects finished.
The problem with getting a Job shop on board is that they require a full BOM, and specs on how to assemble the chargers, and that is another time sink, as we are not quite there with the documentation of the construction procedures.
Will see where it goes.
I am finding that while the dumb chargers can bring back packs that were unbalanced by lack of use or long periods of non use, pretty well, it does not do as good a job of restoring capacity as the smart charger with discharger.
The only way to restore capacity is through deep discharging, which the car as a load is hit or miss at best.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The only way to restore capacity is through deep discharging
I've run the charger discharger cycle several times on my 2000 Insight. If the outside temp is 85 or less, and the pack temp is 85 or less, it will take anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 2.16 hrs to discharge. I then charge the pack back up. If the next day the battery pack temp goes over 95 for 30 min or more and the SOC goes down to around 60% and the battery pack recals, I will get an IMA and CEL.

So to say that capacity can be restored thru deep discharging is not always true. I obviously have a cell, or several cells that have deteriorated to the point of when they get too hot they fail. Nothing will restore them even though I can use Mikes Discharger and it can take 2 hrs to discharge.

Don't get me wrong, I use Mikes Grid Charger about 3 times a week... It has saved me enormous hassle. It is worth every penny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a brand new, never installed, Plug and Play MIMA kit for sale. This setup included FAS and two assembled joysticks, it also comes with everything else that was included from 99MPG.

I bought it intending to put it in my car but have never gotten around to it and decided its time to let it go. Just last week I set it back to Mike to have the resistor and ground mods done to it, also he included a new low impedance DB 25 cable. In short when you get this you should be good to go to install it and not have any issues.

Price is $1000, insured shipping included. It was $980 shipped from 99MPG, it cost me 25 bucks to ship it back to Mike for the mods and it will cost me 25 bucks to ship it to you.

I accept postal money order or personal check with delay to clear, I will not ship until Mike of 99mpg has comfirmed you sent in the required liablity waivers to him so make sure to read up on that before contacting me.

http://99mpg.com/mima/buymima/
I signed the waivers long ago. Do you still have this unit?

Thanks,

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts