Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know about fuel additives/engine treatment that would help the insight get better mileage? I'm just wondering...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dont buy any.... they are all scams.... ALL of them.... I'm not even joking... I learned about it on the news who did a special on a company that investigates internet scams. Trust me, if something is too good to be true, it probably is. Don't fall into another scam. Even i've been scammed before, it isnt fun. Not to mention once they have your bank account information or credit card you will have to go through hell to get everything cleared up. It isnt worth it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
todays oils and fuels have all the additives in them they need to do their jobs. dont waste your money.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You guys mean that putting a magnet on my fuel line won't improve my mileage? :lol:

Just use Mobil 1 0W-20 and make sure you don't overfill it. Every 3 or 4 months I use a bottle of techron fuel additive in my tank to make sure the injectors stay clean.
It took me several months to get the feel of driving my insight for best mileage, and you have to be willing to drive it like a video game to keep the mileage display as high as possible.
Slowing to 55 made a huge difference and only added 7-8 minutes to my 50 mile commute.
Have you put a warm air hose on yet?
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't bother Honda does not recommend them on any of their engines.

However fuel treatment is. Most Honda shops rave about Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner which can be bought almost anywhere (PepBoys, Autozone)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will keep the techron in mind! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
I believe all gasoline brands and grades contain detergents. Some companies just market theirs differently such as Chevron/Techron and Shell V-power. I had 180K on my 88 CRX using nothing but no name 87 octane gas. Car ran as good at 180K as when new.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Packrat said:
Dont buy any.... they are all scams.... ALL of them
Normally I would agree with you here but, Techron is one that works and is used by many high performance cars. GM even recommends using it in their Corvette.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amsoil is far better than Mobile1. It's been tested at nauseum all with these results vs. the other best oils on the market. As soon as mine is broken in, it's getting the Amsoil treatment. (My $.02)

·
Registered
228 Posts
ezviper said:
Amsoil is far better than Mobile1.
I like Amsoil as well and I use their XLM 5W-20 in my other Honda's.
I don't know if it is "far better" and I know they don't make a 0W-20.

Until that happens, I'll stick with the Mobil 1. 8)

·
Registered
52 Posts
One thing I wanted to add about engine oil additives is that Honda says, they ship their new cars with a special oil.

The oil they use is really not that special, it contains a high content of molybdenum.

Moly is an additive package used to help further the process of curing metal.
The Moly reacts with the metal parts that are not fully hardened and cures them faster and stronger.

I used a Moly additive in my S2000 engine for 10,000 miles, and several other sports cars. The result was always an engine that was stronger.
And I have dyno numbers to prove it.

Technically, using Moly after the first 10k miles does nothing after the metal is fully cured, however many oil makers, like Castrol, Mobil, Redline, still have moly additives in their oils, mainly because of the protective film it leaves behind clinging on parts even in hot or cold temperatures.

The use of additives are also effective for long term storage.
Moly additive in these situations can further reduce, gouging and scouring.

Some on more expensive sports car will actually spray a bit down the cyl. walls and hand crank before starting after a long period of storage.

So to make a blanket statement that additives are NOT recommended is innaccurate.

In the case of the Insight however, as a daily driver, the additive packages of conventional motor oils are more than enough to protect.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
What about oil treatments lile Slick 50????
HA! Slick 50 contains *particles* that will clog oil passages & abrade surfaces. Bad idea.

Best thing you can do is switch to a 100% synthetic oil and use no additives (since the oil already includes additives).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Scott said:
Some companies just market theirs differently such as Chevron/Techron and Shell V-power.
Techron cleans gunk out of your engine, it does not improve gas mileage and isn't marketed to improve mileage. But if your mileage is decreasing due to a gunked up engine, then it would improve. All Chevron grades of fuel have Techron in it now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts