Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm if the UK spec insights fuel display readout takes into account the larger imperial gallon compared to the US gallon?
Since there are only a couple hundred insights in the country I was wondering if it was financially viable for Honda to consider this.If it is giving a reading on the US gallon then this would be a lower mpg figure than is expected here or indeed what is shown in the brochures. :?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Great to hear from another UK driver!

I'm sure there are others in the UK who are asking themselves the same question. I would be very surprised if the British Insight is registering Imperial.

The Canadian Insight has a gas gauge that reads in US gallons. I have to multiply readings by 1.2 to get the "real" mileage in Imperial gallons. I must say I was a tad disappointed with mileage readings until I figured that out. Of course we are all supposed to be on metric here in Canada. :lol: Use you Metric readings and a converting calculator or tables to figure out what you should be seeing on your LMPG indicator and let us know.

Incidently you have to push the AC button twice if you want to cut off the air conditioning! They don't tell you that anywhere and it really affects the mileage.

Kip

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Dgate - Glad to hear from another UK driver. Although I have checked a UK Owner's manual, it doesn't say whether it is a UK or USA MPG. I am sure however that a UK spec Insight would be in UK MPG. Give Honda a call or record how much petrol you put in and how many miles you do. Be aware of cold starts, short journeys, stop-start journeys, A/C, low pressure tyres and fast driving style reducing your MPG. I average around 50 UK MPG (my measurements) with mostly short journeys in London.

My Japanese imported Insight, which doesn't have a MPH/KPH dashboard switch, shows a lifetime MPG of 13.5km/litre and my instantaneous reading is metric. However I am sure that this has been skewed by the speedo being chipped to show MPH (I am reasonably sure that this has been done). Which raises the question whether my engine management/ECU has been affected?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
This gas gauge thing is really weird. Would Honda really produce three different dash designs? :shock: In North America you just hold the small button on the lower right of the dash for 3 seconds and the display changes from miles to kilometers.

Christian, if you really are getting 13.5 kilometers per litre then that is only 38.6 MPG Imperial or 32.2 MPG US. If we apply the miles to kilometer .63 factor to this it comes out to 61.3 MPG Imperial or 51 MPG US. That sounds about right for city driving.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Christian, if you really are getting 13.5 kilometers per litre then that is only 38.6 MPG Imperial or 32.2 MPG US. If we apply the miles to kilometer .63 factor to this it comes out to 61.3 MPG Imperial or 51 MPG US. That sounds about right for city driving.
Thanks for this. I know that I average about 62 MPG Imperial on long journeys and about 50 MPG Imperial around town, hopefully this proves that the latter part of your deductions is true. Presumably this also shows that my speedo was chipped to show MPH and that the Lifetime MPG of the previous Japanese owner was a bit higher (yes, I have seen the LMPG dropping). :?

Dgate - did you manage to find out the answer to your question elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Christian, If your instantaneous MPG meter is reading only 63 percent of the mileage you are actually achieving then it follows that your LMPG would also be registering 63 percent lower. If the car was "chipped" just before you got it then you would have to get 160 percent better mileage than the previous owner just to maintain his LMPG reading :shock:

I use the MPH setting most of the time even though the speeds are posted in KPH. Our rural roads are posted at 80 so I just keep it around 48 to 53. I use metric in town to reduce brain strain in traffic. Ratings of liters per 100 kilometers are only understood by government bean counters (and I suppose Europeans). Anyone else I have met still thinks in MPG.

Let me see. How far can I throw this ball? Oh, about 2,000 balls per hundred kilometers. :roll:

Kip

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dgate - did you manage to find out the answer to your question elsewhere?[/quote]

Christian I haven't found an answer yet but hope to confirm my suspicions if I can ever get a tank of petrol through and do the calculations. I filled the car over two weeks ago and still have over half a tank left.My average on the guage so far is hovering between sixty nine and seventy mpg.Trips have been varied but all on the flat as I live in rural east anglia where there are no hills.Will respond when I fill up probably in the new year :wink:
Don

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel Computer Calibration

Reference My original question concerning the UK spec fuel read out taking into consideration the Imperial gallon,I can now confirm that it is calibrated for the Imperial gallon as my calculation upon filling was spot on with the computer reading.My first tank yielded a 70 mpg return which is down on the brochure figures of 83 mpg for the combined cycle but I am wondering now if this figure was arrived at by someone multiplying the American highway figure of 68 mpg by the conversion formula just to make up the UK brochure figures.As you may guess I don't have much regard for certain things I read having experienced numerous errors over many years if the automotive field.My driving style was aimed at economy and should have been closer to the advertised figure if it is a realistic one.On all other cars I have owned the combined figure has been an easily obtained one in every day driving.
Having written this I can say I am happy with the economy but still seek an answer concerning the advertised figures.
Dgate

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Re: Fuel Computer Calibration

Dgate said:
I am wondering now if this figure was arrived at by someone multiplying the American highway figure of 68 mpg by the conversion formula just to make up the UK brochure figures.
No. 83 mpg (Imperial) is a combined rating from the UK "urban" (68 mpg (Imperial)) and "extra-urban" (94 mpg (Imperial)) test cycles. These cycles are different from the US EPA's "city" and "highway" tests and so even if you account for Imperial gallons you will still not reproduce UK mileage numbers from US EPA mileage numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts