Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys,

I am at 77lmpg at the moment on wide Dunlop SP2000 tyres as I loathed driving the car with the Bridgestones on, but love driving the car with the Dunlops.

What can I do to raise my MPG that won't effect the warranty, I extend the warranty on a yearly basis.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Install a block heater.

Put additional racing air in the tyres.

Use synthetic oil.

Put her in neutral and coast when practical.

Disconnect the rear window defrosters.

Use the parking brake when stopped. (doesn't illuminate the brake lights)

Minimise blower fan use by cracking the passenger window open very slightly.

Dump any extra cargo you may be hauling around.

Install a small solar panel to keep the 12 volt battery topped up.

Eliminate excess use of the steering wheel. :badgrin:

Note, I did not mention a radiator block, hot air intake, installing a smaller battery, waxing the car, removing the passenger seat, removing the passenger side mirror, removing the rear wiper. These are either a little extreme, of minimal effect, or just might affect your warranty coverage if the dealer is really picky.

I also did not suggest slowing down, accellerating slowly, upshifting,practicing getting the car into lean burn mode, using advanged braking techniques to maximise regen, although these would probably make the biggest difference. These require a paradigm shift. ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
OK guys,

I am at 77lmpg at the moment on wide Dunlop SP2000 tyres as I loathed driving the car with the Bridgestones on, but love driving the car with the Dunlops.

What can I do to raise my MPG that won't effect the warranty, I extend the warranty on a yearly basis.
Was there any change in you MPGs with the change in tire? Are they wider? There is so much road construction here that the tiny tires get stuck in grooves all the time. :(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 or 2 mpg difference at worst I think, they are a 185/60/14, transformed the car totally :D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
From my limited understanding of Euro spec tyres (tires):

Armin has some contacts in Germany and there are several LRR (low rolling resistance) spec'd tires that are comperable to the OEM USA versions. He "imported" a set and only reports a 1-2 MPG loss like Mark. But in the States all others that are available will have a much higher MPG hit.

See:

Tire Comparison Test
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 38&start=0

HTH! :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
1 or 2 mpg difference at worst I think, they are a 185/60/14, transformed the car totally :D
couldn't agree more. :badgrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
What pressure are you running these tires at?

·
Registered
338 Posts
um

44 psi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts