Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is it and how to replace it? (how often?)

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
It is located underneath the car near the fuel tank. The maintenance schedule does NOT call for a fuel filter replacement. You just drive, drive, drive, drive, the car...................

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Billy said:
It is located underneath the car near the fuel tank. The maintenance schedule does NOT call for a fuel filter replacement. You just drive, drive, drive, drive, the car...................
Possible cause to the Herky Jerkies maybe? (filters eventually clog)

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Yeah, maybe. Replacing the fuel filter (if you can get to it) and cleaning the EGR valve would give you a good start in perhaps curing the jerkies. See other threads re: cleaning the EGR valve..........

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
2005 difference :?:

AFAIK the filter is inline with the pump assembly internal to the fuel tank. Access is from under the IMA cover thru a fuel pump access plate in the floor pan. Right next to the 144v battery to IMA motor wires :shock:

The pump also incorporates a centrifugal pre filter & screen. So unless you got some fuel that was heavily contaminated with particulates the replaceable filter should last the lifteime of the car. :)

And low fuel pressure would exhbit symptoms progressivly more severe with flow demand. i.e heavy WOT acceleration or high speed. Not the "standard" type of herky-jerkies commonly discussed so far.

HTH!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Billy said:
No, it's not. :) That would make sense. Instead Honda placed the filter in the tank directly above the fuel pump. While I'm sure that there is a logical reason for this, it's plain stupid to have to drop the fuel tank to change the filter. Of course since you are correct in stating that the service manual does not mention regular filter replacements then having the filter in the tank isn't a huge problem.

The access hatch to the fuel tank will not provide the necessary clearance to remove the pump/filter assembly. The tank must be dropped to accomplish this.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Sorry Aaron, been there done it (twice). ;) Access it from the top, 02 model anyways. :)

The fuel gauge sender is also intergral with the pump assembly and my rear end collision slapped the sender (fuel slosh) severely enough to break it electrically (no visible damage). Its replacement failed once under the 12/12 warranty too. :(

Yah, p.g. 11-134 of the Factory Service Manual specifies tank removal and the 02 suppliment dosen't contradict it. But you can't "argue" with success. :D

A reasonable explination would be that since the tank is plastic as are the threads for the pump retaining collar and plastic will distort over the years refitting this ring can become almost impossible without greater access. Seen that with one Ford plastic tank and the same operation. The upper part of the collar appeard to "flare". Hopefully Honda uses "better" plastic.

The size of the access hole is not a factor in removal of the ring or pump assembly. Although getting the rubber gasket on squarely and vapor tight was a challange.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
In my '00 model it does not appear possible. I initially considered replacing the filter during regular maintenance last year, but gave up when I saw what a ridiculous amount of work it would take. Lacking the special Honda tool it looks like I would never be able to loosen the locking ring without dropping the tank.

And don't get me started on locking rings. :) Yet another way for the manufacturer to force you to buy their special tools.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
What special tool :?: :twisted:

I used a large screwdriver and a mallet. :twisted:

Yup, not the right tool and the retaining ring wouldn't "last" using the technique, but I had to do it 3 times and I'd say there are several more R&R's still usable. Yah, its nicked, but no broken ears.

You gotta know how to read-between-the-lines of an SM sometimes. :)

If an access hole is there then access it :!: :p But don't waste your money on a filter replacement.

HTH! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts