Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 insight which was previously in an accident. Everything is fine except my fuel gauge isn't working properly. If i fill up the tank, it may register 2 bars but it never excedes that level. Fuel low indicator light is also always on. Does anybody know what may be causing this problem? For now i'm guestimating the fuel i have left by my avg MPG and the miles driven. so far seems pretty accurate. Thank you in advance fellow insighters. -Michael in NYC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Current problem.

The link above says "Not found."
I bought my car after it was hit from the rear. It ran out of gas with still two or three marks showing on the fuel gauge. Clark Thomas, who restored it, says that the problem is probably that the fuel pump/gauge unit has come loose and that it takes a lot of time to get to it and it is behind the driver's seat, maybe need a new nylon bracket. I read on here somewhere that one does not have to take out the fuel tank. Anyone know about such things?

·
6,918 Posts
Any major impact will fubar the tank sender. Unfortunately the only real fix is to replace the whole pump/sender assembly.

It's relatively easy to get to, behind the drivers seat as you say. You don't have to remove the fuel tank, it comes out from the top.

It is easy to drive in the Insight with a broken fuel sender; I have been doing it for the last two years and I have only ran out of gas once.

The Insight has a 10 gallon fuel tank(10.6). All you have to do is reset a trip meter when you fill up, and add a zero to your MPG. So if you're getting 70MPG, you can go ~700 miles.

The one time I ran out of gas was when I was unemployed and was not able to fill my tank all the way, so I was estimating how many gallons I had left.

It's prone to errors, but as long as you don't push the envelope you'll be fine.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/17390-diy-how-change-fuel-pump-fuel-guage-sender.html

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
when I was rear-ended I also had the same problem. But I was able to fix mine by simply taking out the fuel pump and putting it back in properly. Turns out, that from the impact, it simply undid one of the clips and knocked the whole pump assembly sideways, so that fuel guage could not read correctly, and also the pump could not suck the fuel from the bottom of the tank.

here is a quick drawing i did showing what I think happened:

and sorry to to reply to a 5 year old thread..

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
Now that's what I like to see. "Old school"....Figure why it broke and try to fix it.
Thank you.
I love the drawings!!!!!!

Willie

·
6,918 Posts
Hmm interesting. I don't think that's the case with mine, because I can use just about all of my fuel up, but I'll definitely look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Hmm interesting. I don't think that's the case with mine, because I can use just about all of my fuel up, but I'll definitely look into it.
there could be other possible outcomes for the fuelpump damage from being rear-ended. One can be what I mentioned above, another can be that the actual fuel sender got damaged somehow.

The sender metal is not so soft that the pieces will break off or bend just with hard sloshing of fuel, but could be damaged if the impact causes the fuelpump to unclip like in the drawing, but after unclipping the sender hits the walls of the tank. It is also possible the fuel sender may get unclipped from the pump assembly since its all pretty much plastic in there. But to check the sender, one could use a meter to check the resistance as you move the sender through its range.

·
6,918 Posts
It could be unclipped. Mine has been changing lately. When the accident first happened, it would only register 3-4 bars when the tank was full. As of late, it's been reading about half a tank when the tank is full, so I assumed it got bumped around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks all. I will try opening it and re-attaching it some time. Hope that does it.
In the mean time I bought a fuel can for a backpacking stove and filled it with car gas. Should be good for around ten miles. (My grandfather had a two gallon can in the trunk, but that was for a flathead V12.)
Maybe I should have started a new thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for replying to an old thread, but this is related.

Like others here, my first generation Insight (2005) was rear-ended in a fairly minor accident and the fuel gauge stopped reading correctly. The other person's insurance company is State Farm and is repairing the car. When I took the car to the body shop and asked about how the gas gauge (actually fuel sender) would get fixed they told me to call State Farm and let them know. State Farm said I could authorize them to have the body shop send the car out for evaluation, but if they felt that the fuel gauge problem was not related to the accident I would have to pay for the repair. I found this thread and printed it out and gave it to the body shop and asked them to pass it on to the dealer to show that minor accidents often cause this problem with first generation Insights. They did not pass on the printed copy of this thread to the Honda dealer and the dealer says that they are not certain that the problem is related to the accident because the damage was to the rear of the car and the fuel tank was not damaged. I argued with both the body shop and the Honda dealer about this being a common problem from even minor accidents based on this and other forum threads. They just suggested that I argue with State Farm instead of them.

So anyway I am wondering if anyone here has successfully gotten their fuel sender repair covered by a car insurance company after an accident? Is anyone aware of something like a Honda service bulletin that documents that this is a common problem. I am just trying to figure out what is the best way to try to get the insurance company to pay for this since the fuel gauge worked perfectly fine prior to the accident and stopped reading correctly immediately after the car was hit.

By the way, since the dealer is not certain that the fuel sender not working is related to the accident, the dealer is going to charge me nearly $1000 if the insurance company does not pay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
FadedBlue
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing