Honda Insight Forum banner

Fuel Gauge Problem?

9440 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Resist
I've been noticing that after I fill my tank the fuel gauge shows full but, then drops one bar the next time I start the car. After driving for about a day then all the bars light up showing a full tank again. This happen to anyone else? I first noticed this happening last year but thought it was just not being on level ground. But it has been happening after every fill up now.

I do know that more and more newer cars have fuel gauge problems. My last new vehicle did and I won a lemon law case because of it. I hope I don't have to do the same with my Insight.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Fuel Guage

My understanding is that the fuel guage is a sensor triggered by a float which moves up and down with the gas level in the tank. The sensor like most cars is not linear meaning it tends to stay near the full mark and low mark longer. My last bar rarely lights (Perhaps I'm not filling it all the way or maybe an air pocket keeps it from filling to this level). In the beginning I filled the car to full and refilled when I was down to a bar or two. As I tried to get more and more miles to a tank I would run to zero bars showing always a bit woried that I might run out of gas but when filling up I would only need 9.8 gallons or so. I have gone over 70 miles with no bars showing. I find the FCD is much more accurate than the fuel guage. As a result I now follow it when I am near the end of a tank. That is I use trib B as a tank to tank display. If the display shows 90 mpg for the tank that means I should be able to drive 900 miles before filling up (using 10 gallons). Works great, I have never run out of gas. Have fun

· Registered
618 Posts
Guage

Alnighter,
Mine is a 5 speed with 65K miles. If you have run out seven times maybe you should watch the fuel guage. I track all the gas I use and the lmpg and manual calculations are always very close. Have fun

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.