Honda Insight Forum banner

Fuel Gauge Problem?

9431 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Resist
I've been noticing that after I fill my tank the fuel gauge shows full but, then drops one bar the next time I start the car. After driving for about a day then all the bars light up showing a full tank again. This happen to anyone else? I first noticed this happening last year but thought it was just not being on level ground. But it has been happening after every fill up now.

I do know that more and more newer cars have fuel gauge problems. My last new vehicle did and I won a lemon law case because of it. I hope I don't have to do the same with my Insight.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you all are missing the point of my post.

If I fill my tank, all bars are shown, drive a few miles home then don't drive anymore that day. The next day the fuel gauge will show one bar down from full. After driving around some for about another day, then the gauge will show full again.

The fuel gauge should be showing all bars after filling up and not drop a bar after a few miles of driving! It never used to do this.

I understand about the gauges being non linear. But a full tank should read FULL and not drop a bar then light back up to full. I could understand if I was driving on a hilly roads, but I'm not.

I expect to get what I pay for and if it's not working correctly and they can't fix it.....well Lemon Law time!

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's now been several days since I last filled my tank and fuel gauge is showing all bars. It's the strangest thing. Like I said before, usually the day after the fill up the gauge goes down one bar, then back up after another day.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. Honda set the price for the car, that doesn't mean I'm getting what I pay for. I've tested my fuel gauge with a full tank on different road levels...no change. How hard is it to get a reading of a full tank....with a full tank?

Like I said before, I'm hearing more and more problems with newer car fuel gauges. Why....well that is the question.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will M said:
Consider that if they gave you an old analog fuel guage, you would not be making this complaint.
Uh, yes I would. In fact I won a Lemon Law case against Nissan for this very same issue. They bought my 3 year old truck back, (that's how I got the money for my Insight), because after numerous attempts they could not fix it. I'd fill the tank and the gauge only went to 3/4 of a tank. They admitted there was problem but were unable to find a fix that worked.

So all I'm saying is that Honda take a closer look at theirs. I'm not going to do another Lemon Law case, I like my Insight. But I don't care how much money went into the building of this car. What matters to me is I get a car that does what Honda says it's suppose to do. I care about the quality of a car, the small details matter to me.

Just as I don't expect a dented fender, torn interior, faulty radio or speedometer upon my acceptance, a full tank of gas should indicate full on the fuel gauge....PERIOD.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only posted this problem because my gauge never used to do this. I completely understand that fuel gauges are not exact instruments, just pointing out a potential problem that may not be effecting only me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.