Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my Insight in for it's 15k checkup and when I drove off I noticed a bottle of MOC Fuel-Injector Cleaner on the floor. Of course nobody in service even told me it was there or what to do with it, I figured the directions would be simple enough.

There are two questions I have about this stuff. First, the directions on the bottle say to add the entire bottle to a tank of gas, simple enough, but then goes on to say that it treats 15-18 gallons. Is it better to add the whole thing to a 10 gallon fill-up or to use half on the next fill up and half at a later date?

Second, in reading the thread about the oil additives I am wondering if there are similar issues with fuel additives? I understand it's not claiming to coat my engine or anything and is just meant to clean the fuel-injectors but any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Similar to oil addatives it is almost never needed.

The one addative that works and I know from first hand extensive experience is:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/au ... eladd.shtm

Other products _may_ have the same ability, many won't.

No, I don't work for Chevron or have any financial interest in the sale of this product.

I have done field work and seen severe engine intake system deposits. With engines disassembled and using borescope inspections both before and after using this product. It works, when needed.

Unless your having a specific problem related to clogged injectors or your driving pattern is such that injector problems are possible (frequent trips of less than 5 miles), I'd return it.

Lower MPG would be the first sign of a potential injector spray pattern quality problem. And with our Insight's MPG display we'll be the first to know. <g>

Finally, similar to the premimum vs. regular fuel grades you will see a rise in MPG when using the product, for the one tank. Nor is it cost effective. And at least on the older bottles there was a warning of not to use this more than once in a 3000 mile interval else some unspecified damage could ocurr to the engine's oil.

HTH

:)

John K. Bullock
aka. Insightful Trekker

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Fuel injector cleaner is a preventative step. It will not clear injectors that are already clogged, but it will help stop the clog from forming. I generally run it every 5th oil change...But I can't say that I've owned any car long enough to actually notice anything, and I tend to swap injectors fairly often in my RX-7s as I upgrade...

Aside from that, ALL OTHER ADDITIVES ARE CRAP. Three things belong in an engine: fuel, coolant and oil. If all the additives are so great, why aren't they already in the oil/fuel? :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. As for my other question, is it better to put the whole bottle into a single tank? Or split it between 2 tanks to be closer to the "treats 15-18 gallons" statement in the directions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts