Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 honda insight. I've just replaced the battery so I want to drive it for years to come but....

for the last week, i've been smelling a strong gasoline smell. I opened the hood to look around for a leak.

I've discovered a fuel leak under the hood. If you raise the hood, in the back, far left corner is a spongy material. It was dripping fluid. I assumed a/c condensate until I touched and smelled it. its gas!

I don't have any idea how the fuel lines run from the tank to the injectors. Does anyone have a diagram of the fuel system? In the place I've described, what could be leaking gas?

I'd like to get a basic understanding before I take it to a shop. I live in a small town, not near any honda dealers.

Thank you for any ideas!
John Deatherage
[email protected]
417 527 4042

·
Registered
40 Posts
JD D,
Welcome! Regarding your fuel leak:
There are a few discussions/postings...
Although from '08, this one is still a helpful and relevant starting point with photos (that are still active; viewable).
Let us know how you fare. 👨‍🔧
https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/gas-line-leak-rust.13763
Good Luck & Skill 🤞,

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Fuel lines rust up on the firewall close to the clips. Some splice the fuel line right wear it is leaking and add fuel rubber line to get by for few years. First take pics of area, trace down leak than make a plan to replace or repair fuel lines. I would inspect all fuel lines and brake lines at this time.

·
Linsight Designer
3,463 Posts
Howdy, yes that's a very common problem, particularly on rusty cars. Another common fuel leak occurs near the fuel pump, due to aging plastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts