Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unsure if this information is known, I couldn’t much other than some expensive aftermarket pump for sale. Anyways a 2001-2003 Acura MDX fuel hanger fits. Pulled this one from a 2001 MDX from a junkyard for $33 and fixed my fuel leak from a crack in the top. The fuel pump itself has more flow, if you have a return setup, 2 fittings on hanger it shouldn’t be an issue. Either way I’m holding onto the old pump so I can swap it in if I decide.
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Art

Liquid Fluid Asphalt Drinkware Aluminum can

·
Super Moderator
9,823 Posts
It looks like it might be slightly taller. Does it look like there is a way to shorten it to fit the Insight tank?

·
Registered
y2k silver'sight, hch1 5spd, snow tires
160 Posts
these bucket style sending units usually allow for some height variation from my experience. my guess is so they can share parts between different models with same engines. they started using bucket style senders so they could get away from having to baffle the fuel tanks to keep pumps from sucking air. things to check would be the resistance range on the level sensor "wiper" and you might get a funky fuel level if the float linkage isn't interchangeable or installed at the same height. another cross check before i would go this route is making sure both systems use the same fuel pressure, changing the pressure changes the mapping of the injectors. guess i never looked close at my insight if it is a return or returnless system.. somebody on here knows.. anyways a returnless system usually incorporates the pressure regulator valve on the pump or nearby in the bottom of the bucket and a return style system has the fuel pressure regulator near the injector rail that is vacuum referenced and carries a return line back to the tank, from the looks of these they would be returnless with only a supply out and vent to evap out. again im not intimate with the insight fuel system so someone else will crack me if im wrong.
upping the pressure some would probably be negligible if it's in range of the fuel trims but our little cars use the wideband and it might not allow lean burn. i don't know.
if you do try it and it works, see if it has any side effects with instant mpg vs fill up at the pump.
if it fits in the window for the fuel trims it should work, the real test to that needs to see intake air temps from winter and summer. again i don't know, just my thoughts, good luck at least it was cheap and doesn't leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mudder, new here and don’t know how to do that, would have put it there had I known that was an option.

trickle, correct, compresses down when installed. Checked the fuel level sender and didn’t need to bend the float at all. Resistance between the two were very close as-well. Fuel pressure is controlled by the regulator on the fuel rail. I know some insights have only one fitting on the hanger, and in that case you may have a different fuel pressure.

been in the car for maybe a week or two, drives fine didn’t affect lean burn or gas mileage!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts