Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight 5 Speed
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the forum, but have been devouring your posts to help me solve my current problem so I already owe you big thanks for helping me better understand what going on. I had just replaced the AC compressor on my car and made driven several trips, but was having some issues with the ac being sporadic. I decided to add some more refrigerant, but the ac compressor wasn't coming on so I got stupid and started messing with relays. It was hot and I couldn't remember which relay operated the compressor. In my idiocy and relay jumping craziness I removed the relay for the fuel pump and of course the car cut out. The problems comes in when I put the relay back in the fuel pump is not turning on.

I can jumper pins 1 and 2 and the fuel pump operates and I can start the car

Outside of the car I have tested the relay with a 9 volt battery and it energizes. In fact I have found it to energize starting from around 1.6 volts to 3 volts, but strongest by 6 volts. As soon as put the relay back into the car it is not energizing. I have used a multimeter to test pins 3 and 4 which seem to give the control voltage to energize the relay; however, the voltage at pins 3 and 4 are reading around 6.9 Volts. On a bench test this easily operates the relay but in the car it is not. I have tried trying relays from the headlight in the fuel pump and they also fail to operate. Here are the things I have tried:

Fully charged the 4 month old 12V battery
Grid charged my decrepid IMA battery
Turned off breaker to IMA battery
Used Jumper cables from the battery to try and add additional ground to the block in case that is an issue
Checked Fuse under hood and 15 amp Fuses in cabin

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I replaced the relay with a brand new one. Still nothing. Any ideas why I can't start my car?

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Have you actually looked at the fuel pump? Mice built a huge nest in one of mine and ate the wires and hoses.

Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sam, thank you for replying. I haven't looked at the fuel pump itself since it was running earlier in the day before I messed with the relays. I can take a look at it though. Could you still get your pump to run by jumpering it when the mice had messed with the wires?

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
I didn't try. I had to replace the wires and hoses. Those little bastards ate the complete wires for about a foot. I had to trim the connector to get something to solder to.

If that isn't the problem you should get a wiring diagram and start ohming out wires.

Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a mess! I will take a look at it today. I can jumper the pump and get the car to start and run. I can even put the relay back in and start the car and it runs for a couple more seconds before it runs out of fuel and dies again. Any idea where I can find a wiring diagram?

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Consider that I don't really know what I'm talking about! It doesn't sound like mice, at least not in the tank area.

So, when you turn on the key, the pump runs a little to prime the system. When the engine starts it switches to a different circuit and keeps running. This is what is not working.

I use my paper copy of the manuals. Hopefully you can download the wiring diagram here: Download 2000-2006 Insight Service Manual PDF and Others

Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sam, I'll keep diving through the manual, and checking things off one at a time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after checking absolutely everything, and going through the manual's troubleshooting guide it looks like I need a new ECU. I see a number of them on Ebay including ones from my year, mine is a 37820-phm-505. What part numbers is it compatible with? Can I only get one ending in 505?

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Have you made sure that the ECU is getting the proper 12V power? IIRC, there are at least two 12V inputs. Check fuses, relays, and connectors.

If you get a replacement ECU you'll also need the key so the immobilizer will work.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Sounds like it should. I don't remember which terminals I checked. It seems like one has 12V and the other didn't. This was a CVT.

I hope somebody will chime in if I'm wrong.

Sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like it should. I don't remember which terminals I checked. It seems like one has 12V and the other didn't. This was a CVT.

I hope somebody will chime in if I'm wrong.

Sam
Appreciate it Sam.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
The ECU ending in 505 is the latest/current part number for a 2000 MT, since all 2000s were MT.
I can fill your order for an ECU. The car will have to go to either a dealership, independent shop or locksmith that has the capability to program the keys. Programming the the keys is the only thing they actually have to program.
I’ll send you a conversation regarding the price for the ECU shipped.

Scott

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok update on my saga. I got a new ECU/ignition/key combo and after a lot of little hiccups along the way, the insight lives again! Turns out that my ECU had gone bad on me. Thanks to Scott and Sam for their all their advice.

Will

1 - 15 of 15 Posts