Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with one of my Insights. I had it parked for a couple of weeks while I was driving the other car. It started fine and ran as expected before it was parked in the garage. I went to start it and the IMA battery would spin the engine for a couple seconds, it would stop, it would try again two more times and give up. I tried it again and it would crank on the 12 volt battery because the IMA battery was probably a little low. I noticed that I couldn't hear the fuel pump, so I pulled the fuel line and turned the key and there is zero pressure.

I connected the 12v positive to the fuel pump side of the fuel pump relay through my multimeter and it was pulling about 10-11 amps, which seems to be more than I'd expect. I had already put the fuel line back on the car at this point so I couldn't tell if it was pulling power and actually running to pump gas, or just pulling power and maybe could be seized. I swapped the fuel pump relay with my other Insight in case that was the issue and tried to start the car and it still wouldn't start. There is still plenty of fuel in the tank and like I said, it was running fine before it was parked. I'm using the same key that I used the last time I drove it, so I don't think it is the immobilizer. As one person without someone else to help, it's hard to listen for the fuel pump unless I'm actually in the car but it's not making any noise when I turn the key to the on position before trying to start it like it normally would.

What should I try now to diagnose the issue? Should I pull the fuel pump?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Use some starting fluid to confirm it's a fuel issue. Your description sounds similar to what mine did with a blown coil fuse.

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the easiest place to squirt it in? Do I pull the intake air sensor out and squirt it through that hole? Any issues with the throttle plate blocking the spray?

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight 5 Speed
12 Posts
Where is the easiest place to squirt it in? Do I pull the intake air sensor out and squirt it through that hole? Any issues with the throttle plate blocking the spray?
Did you ever figure this out? It sounds exactly like what's happening to my car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts